Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyone covering the roots?

schmee

perhaps a silly question, as few acts have two MCs that can do what these guys do, but hub has me absolutely mesmerized, and am dying to do stuff with his riffs...

"i remain calm" is driving me nuts, i'm trying to transpose the middle bit of his riff throughout the tune (diddlin on blues scale off f against the odd woof or slide off the open e once in awhile, against a thick hip hop live drummer), anyone know if he is dropping to the E off the main riff on the up beat rythm before he works down to the e resolve? or is he sliding f#/g(b) down to the f? perhaps both.

anyway, i'm curious if anyone out there is trying to cover his stuff somehow, with or without the MCs, etc.

:confused:

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Schmee,

There's an excellent article on Hub in July's Bass Player Mag. The article features transcriptions and part of the song you were interested is featured.

BTW my cousin is an MC and we're learning "What They Do" for him, but it's so strong a groove I intend to do it without him also.

hey man, almost missed your reply - man i'm looking for the article now. thanks for the tip =)

they just keep turning out the "interesting" grooves, although, i hear the latest isn't quite so strong.

man this guy is schoolin me hard tho. much respect.

:thu:

--_ ______________ _

Originally posted by schmee:

they just keep turning out the "interesting" grooves, although, i hear the latest isn't quite so strong.

Don't sell Phrenology short! There are some sweet jams on that album!

Also, the live CD is muy righteous as well.

Peace,

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

glad to hear it, i haven't listened msyelf, had heard from another bass forum about it. dying to get my hands on the live album.

just read the bass player article .

too funny, i had actually read that before and used it as a refernce in an argument on talk bass about the importance of 5-7 strings vs plain skill.

Youre probably not a fan of 6s and piccolo basses, either.

If you play bass, why do you need a string that makes you sound like a guitar? Whats going to happen to the tunes foundation when you play a triple-high F? People who play thosethey cant play! You couldnt put them in a room, count it off, and say, Play the same exact thing, the same exact way I heard my man from the Roots do it. I know you got the award last year for playing the most notes per secondbut go ahead and play a pocket, the kind thats necessary for Eminem and Jay-Z. - hub

however i hadn't read the whole article, now i'm glad i did - i wanna hear this ten minute solo he's talking about, guessing that's on the live album, mebbie?

anyway, was also stoked to see my transcribe for "i remain calm" was correct! hehe

great article/lesson section there. an extremely admirable musician.

was curious to hear how the drummer approaches the ensemble performance as well. i had gotten that impression, that hub was laying into a pocket more than driving anything specifically, and he confirmed that in a way that gives me newfound respect for the drummer (drums being my first instrument of lately).

amazing stuff.

would love to see more on/from hub in the future, bass player mag. can't wait to see his book idea come to fruition.

:wave:

--_ ______________ _

tickin' bad (hence the name, although there is some artistic license in that disposition =p)...

>> dirty hub (mp3)

http://www.schmee.biz/next/lilback-dirtyhub.jpg

how do you make drum machines sound like they're being played live? play them live =)

:wave:

--_ ______________ _

Archived