Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tapewound string differences

Bob Gollihur

Can anyone compare and contrast the various tapewound strings available?? I have Labellas on a couple fretless basses, but am aware that there are also Fender 9120 and Rotosound RS 88 Tru Bass, and don't remember any playing experiences.

The unusual fretless 70's Hohner I grabbed from eBay has an old set that are different from the Labellas, all black and have a lot of fuzzy black thread at the machine end, much thicker than the thinned out string leader of the Labellas- they seem to have a tone with a little more body, and have slightly less tension... but I don't know who makes them.

I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has comparative experiences with more than one type of the black tapewound strings available.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bob Gollihur (bob@gollihur.com):

The unusual fretless 70's Hohner I grabbed from eBay has an old set that are different from the Labellas, all black and have a lot of fuzzy black thread at the machine end, much thicker than the thinned out string leader of the Labellas- they seem to have a tone with a little more body, and have slightly less tension... but I don't know who makes them.

The Fender tapewounds have that fuzzy black thread at the end. They are also very thick at the machine-end. I couldn't get them to fit into the hole in my de-fretted Ibanez GSR200's tuning-peg, so I had to put it through the slot and wind it once over the end and then a couple of times under the end of the string. :freak:

Originally posted by SaBer:

Originally posted by Bob Gollihur (bob@gollihur.com):

The Fender tapewounds have that fuzzy black thread at the end. They are also very thick at the machine-end. I couldn't get them to fit into the hole in my de-fretted Ibanez GSR200's tuning-peg, so I had to put it through the slot and wind it once over the end and then a couple of times under the end of the string. :freak:
Thanks, SaBer, they very well could be the ones the bass came with- that describes them.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Archived