Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Michael Manring gig in Burien, WA tonight

or, the alternate title to this thread:

Bringing a Picasso Exhibit to The Ghetto

That's what LizzyD and I decided tonight was as I was driving her home. But I'm getting ahead of myself. First the good stuff.

Manring was friggin' amazing. Again. This was the second time I've got a chance to witness his particular splendor live and he's just amazing. There isn't any other word for it. He has monstrous chops at . Want him to slap/pop like a maniac. He does that. Want him to play fast finger style? Oh, he does that. Want him to do insane two hand tapping? He'll do that too, while standing on his head, and playing the piano with his left eyebrow. The coolest thing about Manring isn't his massive chops, it's that he plays very, very musically. He's saying something when he's playing. Hell, I could listen to him tune his Zon hyperbass with all those hipshots for 10 minutes; even that sounded like music.

The show started with him playing solo for about 60-70 minutes. He had two of his fretless Zon Hyperbasses and a fretted Zon (not sure of the model on that one). One of the coolest things he did was play a (Bach??) piece that I'm guessing was originally a cello sonata or somethin'. He put a capo on the 12th fret, retuned the bass (I'm guessing like a cello, I didn't ask him), and then played this piece. It was a beautiful piece of music.

After he took a short break, Manthing was joined on stage by bassist William Maxwell and drummer Doug McGrew; btw- William is the bassist that took the bass chair in Groovemob when I left the band. William played bass, keyboards, and some Chapman Stick while Manring played scary solos. This was some cool stuff. Manring didn't do nearly as much slappy/poppy stuff during this portion of the show and pretty much stuck to finger style and tapping. The slap stuff gets old for me really quickly. William held his own playing bass with Manring, giving up lots of space for him to solo and what have you. William and Doug were very impressive and you could tell that Manring was diggin' on what they were playing a great deal.

I would LOVE to get the opportunity to play with this guy sometime. I'm insanely jealous of William at the moment. William also took lessons from Manring for a period of time when he (William) lived in California. I believe Manring appears on William's solo cd too.

We left before they finished. According to a friend of mine that was also there, they only played 2 more songs. This gets to the negative portion of this evening, and the portion where I lose my temper and curse like a drunken pirate. DAAAAAAARrrrGGHhh!!! Be warned.

Still here? Oh OK. Here goes.

F**king white trash idiots. The bar that this concert happened in tonight was about the least music-friendly establishment on the planet. It was full of drunken white trash that could give a rat's toss about the brilliant music being performed. There were idiots yelling and carrying on during the entire evening. It wasn't nearly as annoying when something fairly loud was being played. Whenever a nice soft passage (or a nice soft ENTIRE SONG) was being played, said f**ktards would keep talking, yelling, whatever. Only about half the bar seemed at all interested in the music. I was looking around and could tell who was there to see Manring; it was less than half the crowd. They, like Lizzy and I, looked VERY out of place. I wish this concert was held somewhere that people were being quiet and respectful of the music. It would have made the evening so much more enjoyable. Did I mention the bartenders who were giving us the Evil Eye because we weren't ordering anything; yet we were sitting at the bar. Hey, excuse f**king me that the two bar stools we were occupying were the only chairs left in the place when we arrived. We weren't there to drink, we were there to listen to music. Apparently, the bartenders didn't understand that anyone would actually want to just sit and listen to music all night. I hate people. Finally, one last little bit of love that I got from these people was enough second hand smoke to account for 2 packs of cigarettes. I swear every 'regular' that was in that place was chain smoking all night; including our good friends the bartenders. I believe I feel the lung cancer starting already.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always a drag when the venue's regular crowd doesn't like or appreciate the live act booked in there...especially when you're the live act!!

That sucks. I would've ordered a beer, just because I actually like to have a single beer every once in awhile when hearing good music...but they shouldn't have given you shit for not drinking...you paid the cover charge, right? They have your money.

I've never seen Michael live...I missed an opportunity to go see him when he was giving a clinic at Guitar Center :mad: (the singer in Mrs. Grundy is the assistant manager there). Sounds like a great time, even if the venue sucked.

Wow - what a night - what a schiz of an evening. Great music, less than great people.

I can understand the bartender. I order soda, and tip. They are usually pretty good about that in case someone is the designated driver.

I can understand your jealousy about wanting to play with a great soloist. My first thought was "the guy playing with Manring took over after Bump left a band - if this guy is good enough, then Bump must be - geez how can I post with these people!!!". Or something to that effect.

Thanks for the review, and I hope the joy of the music lives on in you long after the smoke clears.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Boy, we had it good in Chicago. I think the majority of folks at the Manring show here came to see him. It helps that the location he played here has a ground floor bar for boozin' and watching sports on TV and playing pinball while the live music happens downstairs. you pay your cover before going downstairs, so folks who aren't interested in music don't "accidently" end up downstairs making like hard for the folks who wanted to hear the live performance.

Glad you saw him. Glad you had LizzyD for company. Sorry the spot was such a downer.

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

you paid the cover charge, right? They have your money.

Actually, when we arrived there was no one at the door, so we walked right in. This was just a regular old neighborhood bar that happens to have live music to entertain the patrons who are there to drink (oh, AND SMOKE!). No stage, the guys just set up on the floor by the big screen TV. Probably had to move a few tables to make space. As I understand there is a regular blues jam that goes on there, and I doubt the clientele give a crap about that music either. But whatever.

I've done plenty of "move tables and play under the big TV" gigs like that myself, but not this kind of music. It's a sad thing that this was the venue that was booked - I don't get it, unless it was because William Maxwell plays there regularly (Bump told me that) and it was easiest place to get in without bothering with the usual club booker hassles.

I have seen the Manthing with Sadhappy a couple times here in Seattle, at the Sit & Spin (a most excellent music venue, R.I.P.) and by himself at the EMP doing a small clinic in a small packed room. I stood in the back and was still about 10-15 feet away. Quite marvelous!

Oh, and the Bach piece he played with the capo on the 12th fret - I'm almost positive it was one of the cello suites, the prelude from the 1st one, but I don't have my classical CD collection handy to check it for sure. (Where is it, you ask? Why, it's in storage in Mr. Bumpcity's basement right now. :cry: )

In spite of the negatives, it was really quite amazing to see such art up close, and even through all the noise (and the waitress climbing over me every 2 minutes) I was still inspired. :D

Burien? Bad, but coulda been worse; coulda been in Renton, or [*shiver*] Tacoma... :D (where, incidentally, I once actually did see a Picasso show!).

Sounds like a great performance. Too bad it's pearls before swine. Hopefully someday the bass will have more recognition as a melodic instrument, & the Manrings of the world will regularly be booked in the same venues as the DiMeolas of the world.

I'd love to see this guy.

Originally posted by dcr:

Burien? Bad, but coulda been worse; coulda been in Renton, or [*shiver*] Tacoma... :D (where, incidentally, I once actually did see a Picasso show!).

Ha! :D There are plenty of clubs in Tacoma that blow this place away though...dunno about Renton. I can only think of one, and it's on par with Burien's "The Barrel". :rolleyes:

:D Actually, I was born & grew up in Tacoma, which is, let's face it, pretty much a hole. Still, it has a place in my heart, right next to creeping damp, mold, & Wayne Cody's double chin. Not that those are mutually exclusive.

Originally posted by dcr:

:D Actually, I was born & grew up in Tacoma, which is, let's face it, pretty much a hole. Still, it has a place in my heart, right next to creeping damp, mold, & Wayne Cody's double chin. Not that those are mutually exclusive.

...I just about blew a drink of beer out of my nose when I read that! Sometimes the truth is just painfully funny!!!
Donnie Peterson

Archived