Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No-modification bridge upgrade for P-bass?

Blue Strat

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schaller also makes a bolt on replacement bridge for the P. I actually prefer it over the Badass. Instead of being cast, it's machined and has roller saddles. I'm not sure if they are still making them. I haven't seen one in a retail store in awhile. Of course being almost twice the price of a Badass they never were hot sellers. Everyone wants a bargain. ;) In any case, it's another option.

I believe Allparts makes a knockoff version of a Badass also. I'm not sure what the quality, construction or materials are like, but it's most likely a less expensive alternative.

Later..................

There are also many, many dealers selling bridges for Fender basses on eBay--new & used. I've also got a BadAss II, which drops right in. But you can also get more "conventional" Fender replacement bridges which are the same in design as stock, but of better quality. Go into the bass category on eBay and search for "bridge."

I did a little research as I have a project of my own that is going to be needing hardware soon. Schaller still makes the bridge I was speaking of. You can see it HERE . Prices seem to be in the $75-$85 range through most mailorder places. They make a host of other bridges also...
Later..................

Originally posted by 61Pbass:

Schaller still makes the bridge I was speaking of.

Great bridge - I have one on my Warwick. Adjusts in every direction, good balance of punch and sustain and the roller saddles mean you'll (probably) never break another string.

Alex

I'll throw in my hat for the Schaller as well. I've put one on my cheap Yamaha, and it made a real difference in the resonance and sustain. My favorite feature with it, though, is that I seem to be able to adjust the action, intonation, and string spacing without messing with each other. So I'm able to lower the action without having to retune, that kinda thing. Could just be the way mine is set up, but I'm a total setup freak, so I love it.

Yes, a good quality Fender-made bridge will be fine. When you set a MIM bridge & a USA bridge side by side, you can see the difference--the latter is just "sturdier." It's probably what I'd choose, if I were upgrading a MIM.

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

I'll throw in my hat for the Schaller as well. I've put one on my cheap Yamaha, and it made a real difference in the resonance and sustain. My favorite feature with it, though, is that I seem to be able to adjust the action, intonation, and string spacing without messing with each other. So I'm able to lower the action without having to retune, that kinda thing. Could just be the way mine is set up, but I'm a total setup freak, so I love it.

I agree about the Schaller, but also being a set up freak, I use the Kahler non-trem bass bridge. Utter and complete adjustability, and it fits a lot of basses with no mods at all, although I had to move a pickup for mine. Not totally sure about Fender compatability, but worth looking into, as it is a nice bridge.

Whatever, the Schaller or Badass stuff will not do you wrong either. It's up to you.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived