Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! I need GAS relief for my cab buying blues

danb291

Like most bass players, I have bad GAS. I've done a lot to alleviate it (buying a GORGEOUS musicman and G-K 1001rb, which will provide me with enough power and smooth tone for quite a while), but I can't decide on a cab. I currently have an ampeg portabass 2x10, which has decent tone, but doesn't move enough air for my gigs (I think some of the problem lies in the fact that it isn't ported).

Meanwhile, I've been frantically searching and reading through the low down archives, trying to find some guiding light, but unfortunately, the wide variety of opinions has left me spent and unsettled. The one piece of advice that occured often and struck me as the best is "try before you buy." But, therein lies part of the problem.

The huge variety of cabs out there is overwhelmingly vast. While I think I could be happy with a Goliath III or D410XLT, how can I rest peacefully without trying out the high-end cabs that everyone raves about for their uncolored and gorgeous tone. There's only a few stores that sell top-end makers such as Aguilar, Bag End, Bergantino, Accugroove, Epifani, etc., and most of them are very out of the way for me (hour+ of driving :( ). And a company like Acme, where I can try a cab for the price of shipping (if I don't like it), seems just as much of a hassle.

Does anyone out there have some advice to cure my GAS and "try before you buy" obsessiveness? I'm looking for a good 4x10 or similarly powerful cabinet solution. Although really I'm just looking for peace of mind about my gear :) .

Oh and by the way, I'm in two gigging bands, one is a funk/classic rock kind of deal (slapping of course), and the other is a Guns N Roses tribute band! (the MOST fun you can have covering a band, if you've never tried any of their songs before, I highly recommend it...GNR kicks ass :D )

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I can honestly say that you'll be very pleased with an Avatar cabinet and not have to send it back and be out the shipping charge. I'm in the process of doing away with my SWR Super Redhead and grabbing another Avatar cab and a separate power amp. I was already planning on getting a Sans Amp rackmount and a Peavey Kosmos, which is the same as the Sonic Maximiser, only better--much, much better. It's money well spent on the Avatars.

I recently purchased an Avatar B212 cab. Two twelves with a tweeter. I only paid about 370.00 (shipping included), and to date I am very happy. The twelves give off a lot of lows...at a gig a week ago I could really feel a lot air being pushed through the ports and a lot of good vibrations were sent through my body. The tweeter brings out the highs well, but it can be a little noisy so I keep it turned down a little. The cab rates at 900 watts (which is more than I think I need for any of the venues in Huntsville). It is available in 4 or 8 ohm configurations which I like because now I carry 1 4 ohm cab as opposed to 2 8 ohmers. If you are looking to save money but still get a good cab check out Avatar's site. They also have some other cab configurations if you are looking for 4x10 or 1x15.

We must accept the consequences of being ourselves-Sojourn of Arjuna

Music at www.moporoco.com/nick

I'm afraid I believe to have developed GAS, everything I see on the internet these day's I desperately craved. I've bid on a new amp setup without even knowing much about it.

I rarely have money to spend anyway, so hopefully that will solve the problem. Either that or cause me to crave things more...

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Bergatino HT322. BOOOOOOOOO-YA.

Bergie love

I'm buying two of them. Very soon.

Egads, man! You've been converted. This is LizzyD's fault isn't it -- that practice rig!...I seem to remember a post you wrote in the past that went something like:

SWR Goliath III 4x10. BOOOOOOOOO-YA.

SWR love

I'm buying two of them. Very soon. When my tax refund comes through.

:D

danb291 -- It seems to me that GAS is more the problem than finding a great cab for you. You seem to be suffering from classic symptoms of "my rig can always get better." If your Ampeg cab isn't moving enough air, you obviously need something that will, and as you've seen in your searching, we can suggest approximately a bazillion products that will satisfy.

If you've got plenty of dough to spend, I would try an Epifani 4x10, a Bergie 322 (2x10+1x12+horn), and definitely, if possible, try one of the larger AccuGroove cabs (an El Whappo might be just what the doctor ordered). If you've got a little less to spend, but still some good $$$ -- certainly try a Goliath III and a D410XLT. If you're on a tighter budget, an Avatar 4x10 or Carvin 4x10 or SWR Workingman's 4x10 might do you right.

You've got plenty of options, you just need to better clarify your endgame for yourself, or you will continue to be looking for the next best component for your rig. Also, you've got to satisfy yourself. For example, I don't care much for GK heads, but some people love 'em. The same is very true for cabs -- some people like the uncolored sound of some cabs, while others like cabs w/ more obvious sonic characteristics (mid hump, sizzly highs, etc.).

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I love my Acme...so I'll attest to them being worth the risk. Every bass player friend of mine who's ever borrowed it has raved "What is this cabinet? Where can I get one???" :thu:

Considering you have around 500 watts so play with, I'd take a look at a conventional 4x10 or one of the more high-tech manufacturers.

Lots of people rave about Avatars...you could pick up one of their 4x10s for not too much money if cost is a factor.

The SWR Goliath and Eden 4x10s are great too, but more expensive.

Euphonic Audio makes great sounding cabinets that have rediculously small footprints.

Thanks for the advice guys. I realize now there is probably more than one solution to my sound. I think the problem is not in finding the best cab, since there might not be a "best" choice but many good choices. The problem, as usual, is my darn GAS! oh well...

Bergie love

that one cab is more expensive than my whole entire amp rig.

Try looking at an Avatar 2x12 or 4x10

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Bergie love

Egads, man! You've been converted. This is LizzyD's fault isn't it -- that practice rig!...I seem to remember a post you wrote in the past that went something like:

SWR Goliath III 4x10. BOOOOOOOOO-YA.

SWR love

I'm buying two of them. Very soon. When my tax refund comes through.

:D

It's all Lizzy's fault, you are SO right. :) Her rig is god-like. I love those cabs, they just own like crazy.

i got's a bergantino nv610, ampeg bse410, ampeg115,and some rare old fender 412.i have had hartke and swr gear and i have friend who has played about ten years longer than i have(wich is about 18 years). he and i like the bergantino's but it's really what your looking for in tone and response so i'm sorry to tell you this but you'll probably have to just try them all.
i grew up watching TV and i turned out TV

What do you mean by the comment

and most of them are very out of the way for me (hour+ of driving).
This is important. Make the time to take the trip. When you are talking 3+ hours, that's more of a problem.

I wish I could help you. While I'm a Berg advocate, I could probably be happy with Ben's Acme, those Avatars, Epifani, or EA. While it's a tough choice, you probably can't go wrong.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Benloy,

I've seen you rave about the acme cabs many times, I was just wondering what type of music you play, and what head you use.

I play a lot of different things. Rock, funk/R&B, country, swing, jazz, fusion, etc. Primarily I play rock and funk, though.

I have a 4-ohm Acme that I power with a Stewart 1.2 power amp (1,200 watts at 4 ohms). My preamp is a Demeter VTBP-201S. For overdrive I plug a SansAmp RBI into the Demeter's effects loop.

I also use an Aphex Bass Xciter pedal when playing live...it beefs things up considerably.

The Acme is definately a power hungry cabinet. I recommend a head with at least 500 watts to drive it with good headroom.

I haven't played through the Bergatinos, but I've played through Epifani cabinets many times, and they rock the catzpah as well (also expensive).

I have been using Bag End cabs for a few years and am very happy with them.

Cabinet selection has become very tough since there are so many great sounding cabs on the market... just make sure that when you do buy your speaker the ohm rating will get you the desired power from your bass head.... from researching it seems like most heads give full power at 4 ohms.... Many of the 4 x 10 boxes are 8 ohms which will cut your power...good luck and keep us posted...

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by phil6006:

[QB]

that one cab is more expensive than my whole entire amp rig.
[sarcasm]

yeah, but that's because your amp rig sucks!

[/sarcasm]

i have played through a bergantino HT112, and though it lists at $739 i would much rather buy one of those than two of any other cabinet for the same price. the sound is worth it if you're the type who cares, who has that much money, and who will spend it.

robb.

i have a GK 800rb head and used to have a Genz benz 4x10 cab. it sounded great but was a bitch lugging it around. i just got an avatar 210 with tweeter and a 115 with tweeter. sound freaking awesome!!! cool thing is i can use one or both! i also thought the tweeter sounded a little noisy in mine, then i discovered it was a grounding issue. you gotta have an outlet with the ground terminal or one of those little adapters. noise went away. tweetere are totally quiet now. avatar cabs are reasonably priced too. just my 2 pennys!!! later...

Archived