Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you make the switching for parallel/series for a Precision pup?

Iceman Irwin

Hi guys. Well this is one of my few posts but I just want to ask if anyone knows how to wire a P for series/parallel switching?

My friend got the wiring for parallel fine but when I switch to series mode, only the upper pickup of the P is working.

My only reference here is a wiring diagram from seymour duncan and dimarzio which are both intended for humbuckers. Well, it was configured to use a 3-way toggle switch (on-off-on) intended to make the switching as Parallel-Split-Series.

The parallel works fine, the split shuts it off and the series is 50% correct (you know only the top pup is working).

Anyway....

Any tips or suggestions from you guys would definitely help. Any sites where I might get some schematics?

Thanks in advance...

:wave:

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try here:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/wiring/multisoundwiring.html

There may be something on this site to help.

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

I think the first mistake was getting a 3-way switch, since you don't want "split" mode with that kind of pickup in the first place. (It's not that kind of humbucker; split is for something like a Musicman humbucker. This may also be why series is wired incorrectly: you're working from a diagram for a different kind of pickup.)

I'm assuming your P pickup is the split-coil, "dog-leg" humbucker (the most common kind on a P bass).

I should think the simplest thing would be to get a push/pull volume pot (available from www.stewmac.com & other places, probably from a local tech even) & wire it according to a proper diagram for the kind of pickup that you actually have. That way, when the volume knob is down you're in series & when it's up you're in parallel. Easy squeezy.

Archived