Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the craziest/weirdest pedal you own?

shakedownstreet

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I accidentally stumbled across one of those "Scholz/Dunlop" acoustic guitar pedals. Still have it. Don't use it. Doesn't sound like an acoustic guitar, but it does provide some interesting high-end boost.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Weirdest pedal?

How about a ring modulator? I built one of these things in the 70's.

You can hear a ring modulator on a few records from those days.

It's the least musical pedal ever invented.

I used it live once and everyone complained so much I never brought it out of the house again.

A guitarist I was playing with used one on a gig and the band got fired on the spot.

You could buy your own ring modulator.

Listen to the samples and you\'ll hear what I mean.

Ah yes, the ring modulator. George Lucas's favorite effect. :D Watch the original Star Wars trilogy again, listen to all the radio communications and some of the assorted aliens when they talk. Oh, and might I suggest avoiding the 'new & improved' triology. Greedo shooting first is quite possibly the worst thing that has every happened.

Greedo shooting first is quite possibly the worst thing that has every happened.
Yeah, Han Solo was made so more uncool with that bit. I just couldn't bring myself to suspend my disbelief that "bad guy" Greedo would be that horrible a shot from point-blank range like that.

Han fought dirty, goddammit. He shot Greedo from under the table in cold blood, and then said "sorry 'bout the mess." Yeah, muthaf**ka...

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Greedo shooting first is quite possibly the worst thing that has every happened.
Yeah, Han Solo was made so more uncool with that bit. I just couldn't bring myself to suspend my disbelief that "bad guy" Greedo would be that horrible a shot from point-blank range like that.

Han fought dirty, goddammit. He shot Greedo from under the table in cold blood, and then said "sorry 'bout the mess." Yeah, muthaf**ka...

Yeah!!! Preach it, brother.

I thought this was a Bass forum not the "you look strong enough to pull the ears of a gundar" forum. Besides, they didn`t need to make Greedo shoot first to justify him being killed, he`s a bad guy for "the makers" sake.....

Oh, yeah, and, uh, my weirdest pedal is a Q-Tron. Actually it`s the only one I own other than my sonic maximizer rack unit.

P.S. I once saw a steel drum band play the cantina song from episode one. F**king Rocked!

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

Mine...

A Kawai Volume Pedal I got for one of my birthdays.

It's the babe I don't often use but the one I get most remarks because of the volume swells I do during some ballads. :D

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cough <<*GEEKS*>> Cough

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I had a really cool pedal in an old '74 VW Bus several years ago. Played it with my right foot. Finally got rid of it, because after A/B-ing it in engaged mode vs. disengaged mode, I just didn't notice enough of a difference.

Originally posted by dcr:

I had a really cool pedal in an old '74 VW Bus several years ago. Played it with my right foot. Finally got rid of it, because after A/B-ing it in engaged mode vs. disengaged mode, I just didn't notice enough of a difference.

:D:D:D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Radio Shack Electronic Reverb. The wildest delay/echo I've ever heard. Slap back echo, manual flanging, doubling, and just some strange metalic sounds. :D

I had a Snarlin' Dogs Mold Spore Wah once, ring-modulator and wah in one box, and they could be used seperately or together. :freak: I traded it for my American Big Muff Pi. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I've been looking for one of these on EBay for a while....it's a Ressikan Flute.

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/picard.jpg

Nice and off topic but as is half the rest of the topic ;) , does anyone else thing that the bloke playing that flute looks like Patrick Stuart?

Originally posted by Invincible:

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I've been looking for one of these on EBay for a while....it's a Ressikan Flute.

Nice and off topic but as is half the rest of the topic ;) , does anyone else thing that the bloke playing that flute looks like Patrick Stuart?

Yes, that IS Patrick Stewart. Excellent powers of deduction you have there! :)

Wow, I don't really know if I'd like my ring modulated, I think I'l leave that to George.

My weirdest stomper is a Digitech XP100 Whammy/Wha,it does Volume pedal/Wha (see deep and dark setting, that rocks!)/auto wha and all the weirdo Whammy and harmoniser settings and chorus and it has a tuner and noise gate built in. It rocks!

The downside is it doesn't have a true analog bypass and the onboard preamp is very subtle to get the right volume with, I run mine on a swithchable effects loop of my ADA MB1 and only switch the loop on when I want to use the effect.

Originally posted by CMDN:

Cough <<*GEEKS*>> Cough
No no... these would be geeks.

\m/ hot metal.

Originally posted by Invincible:

Ah... I just glanced at that photo and thought it was Jeremy pictured playing his newly acquired flute!

Alex

I had a Lovetone Meatball with a selection of distortions in it's FX loop (sold recently for a nice profit!) but everything else is fairly normal, apart from possibly my Unibass (for faking guitarists). The strangest noises I've made live were with my fretless playing a slidey high register riff through a flanged delay - made the world feel like it was made of wobbling glass.

In terms of making weird sounds the Line 6 DL-4 I'm getting for Christmas will probably take the cake, especially when fed with filtered and phased strangeness whch can then be delayed or looped (in reverse even!) with further distortion, EQ and chorusing. The main motive for getting the DL-4 is much more boring - to practice comping jazz, walking changes, and then soloing over the top using the loop sampler.

Alex

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

No no... these would be geeks.

Good lord, that's out-of-control hilarious. Makes paying this month's fee for my high-speed cable internet service sooooo worth it to be able to watch all 10 1/2 minutes. :D:thu:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

A few questions for JeremyC or anyone else who has experience with the Ring Modulator....

JeremyC,

I went to the site you had linked to and was kind of impressed by the sounds that are available using the ring modulator effect. I emailed the company and received some more info aside from what was on the site, but had a few questions that weren't really answered for me.

1) What is the typical way you would use this effect ie. do you use it as a bass effect, samping effect, or through a drum machine, etc?

2) How "random" is the effect which these units produce ie. do you have to constantly manipulate them in order to produce variations in sound? There was a sample on the site that had the device being used in "stand alone" mode that showed a great deal of variation, but I wondered how much human input might have been involved....

3) Do you know of other companies that produce a comparable device here in North America?

Thanks for your help

fm

I built my ring modulator using this book and kit:

Electronic Projects for Musicians and PAIA kits

I made a few modifications to the design.

Here\'s another one.

The Mooger Fooger version

free plug-in for your Mac computer

Here\'s one from the UK

another UK one

Eventually you can learn to predict what will come out of the thing.

A ring modulator is adding and subtracting a fixed frequency to the sound which is connected to the input. This fixed frequency is supplied by an internal oscillator which can be adjusted.

If you have a subsonic frequency on the internal oscillator, you will get something like:

Your input sound.....a note playing an A....440 hz

+ 6 hz

- 6 hz

= 440 hz sound and a 446 hz sound and a 434 hz sound and of course all the overtones...which will sound like a weird vibrato.

If the internal oscillator is set for something higher, such as 200, of course now you are going to get:

440 hz and 640 hz and 240 hz.

Which of course will sound truly strange.

This effect basically destroys the overtone structure of any pitch.

Harmony Central\'s explanation of Ring Modulation

Archived