Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Euipment Advice for a Guitarist Turned Bassist.

Dank

I have been playing guitar for about 35 years, have played in several working bands and have had great fun. I spend more time at home now in my home studio, and I want to start recording more bass lines on my own. I own a Hofner '62 reissue violin bass and will soon purchase a Ric 4001C64S (I'm a Beatles nut!). I want a good all around bass and amp for classic rock and acoustc guitar music (no interest in punk, grunge etc.). I have my eye on a Fender American Deluxe Precision since it has the humbucker pickup and The Fender Bassman 200 watt combo (or possibly, SWR Super Redhead?). Has anyone had any experience with either this bass or amp? Is this bass a jack of all trades but master of none? Am I better off with just a Precision or a Jazz bass? What is the tonal difference? Thanks for any advice you can give. Dan.

Taylor K65CE

Froggy Bottom F-12

Martin D-41

Huss & Dalton OM Custom

Charis SJ Brazilian/Red Western Cedar

Taylor XXX-BE

'59 Les Paul Reissue

Peter Frampton Les Paul

'62 Jazz Bass Reissue

Gibson J-160e

Hofner '62 Bass

Ric 350V63

Ric 360v64/12

Ric 4001VP Fireglo

Gretsch '62 Tennessean Rose

Grtesch '62 County Gentleman SP

Epi John Lennon Revolution

Godin Mlutiac

Anderson Hollow Classic Drop Top Custom

PRS Custom 22 10 Top

G&L ASAT Classic

G&L Comanche Butterscoth Flame

'57 Fender Strat Reissue

Eric Clapton Strat

40th Anniv. Fender Start

'76 Strat

'61 SG Reissue

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't go wrong with an American Standard P-Bass or a Jazz Bass. A Jazz has two pickups, which gives you a more versatile sound the same way a Strat does over a Tele.

Some love the simplicity of the P though...and you can't argue with the track record of either of these Fender basses. Rickenbackers have a good history as a versatile instrument as well (Listen to McCartney and then listen to Chris Squire...they both used Rics, but talk about a difference in sound!)

Do a search on this forum and you'll discover a zillion threads about this.

I have an American Std P'bass, and a SWR 350 head, and Goliath Jr 2 x 10 cab (Redhead in 2 peices). The combination, I have found, can be pretty versatille(solid, quality, bass plus an amp with wide range of tone shaping, and a good DI).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

As far as amps go, do you want a vintage or modern sound? An all tube amp like a Fender Bassman or Ampeg B15 will get that warm, slightly compressed and slightly distorted (in a good way) vintage tone. You'll most likely have to mic them. The SWR is more modern sounding- very clean, hi fi, wide dynamic range and the slightest nuance in your playing will come out big time. Those are generalizations but IMO fairly accurate. I like bass amps with a tube preamp and solid state power amp.
my band: Mission 5

If I was going to just have *one*, I'd go with a jazz bass. That's just my personal preference.

If you're going to simply be using this bass and rig for recording, you might want to just use a direct box. You can get really nice bass sounds by using something like a SansAmp Bass DI and it costs far less than an actual bass amp.

If you want to buy an amp, I'd go with the SWR Super Redhead (of the two mentioned). Great friggin amp.

I recently removed the stainless steel roundwounds from my Ric 4003 & replaced them with Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats. From Squire to McCartney in one move. Very sweet.

And I agree that the SWR is hard to beat. So, too, is Ampeg, especially for a "classic" sound; e.g. the B-15 is what you hear on almost all Motown & Stax records, & who knows how many others.

I have noticed that the Fender amp has a weird built in limiter that's like driving a muscle car with a governor that only lets you drive 55. The redhead is of course very hi-fi sounding, but more headroom. If you can turn down that 'rip-your-head-off' horn on the swr it'll be less 'rip-your-head-off' highs. As for a good all around classic rock/acoustic set bass there is a basic rule. Use the tone knob, and especially right hand placement in conjuction with where the pickups are.(assuming you are RH). Experiment with the 'tubbiness' further towards the headstock, to the 'growl' over the PU's, and 'more bite-less-bass' closer to the bridge. I prefer 2 PU basses for the versatility. Good luck Peace------K

Hello Dank, Welcome to the Lowdown. I used to have an old Fender Bassman 100 tube head( silver face) that I used to drive an Acoutic 2x15 cab and it sounded great. Haveing said that, I don't particularly care for the new(or recent) Fender amps. I think that if you are looking for a more traditional tone Ampeg is a better choice, I can't speak for the SWRs, I've never played one.

I think that you will be well served by either a P or J bass. I suggest you try playing as many as possible before you purchase. Just like guitars,the tonality of individual basses can vary significantly even between ones of the same model.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you find what you like. Keep us informed. :thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I am pleasantly surprised at all the well-thought out replies. Gentlemen and gentlewomen, I truly appreciate your taking the time to give me your advice. This type of exchange is what these forums are all about! Thanks again. Dan

Taylor K65CE

Froggy Bottom F-12

Martin D-41

Huss & Dalton OM Custom

Charis SJ Brazilian/Red Western Cedar

Taylor XXX-BE

'59 Les Paul Reissue

Peter Frampton Les Paul

'62 Jazz Bass Reissue

Gibson J-160e

Hofner '62 Bass

Ric 350V63