Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

need help (learning the slapping technique)

SoulSkater

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you really want to learn that style of bass playing (something I suck hugely at), pick up Victor Wooten's slap instructional video. He does all the modern slap stuff like a friggin' ninja. I've heard that his demonstration on how to do the double thumb technique is spot-on brilliant.

The slap/pop style of bass playing is cool and all, but there is a lot more stuff to bass playing than being able to play Classical Thump at 9 million miles per hour. Make sure you have your priorities set. I know people who can do that stuff like crazy, but they can't groove to save their asses. There is a fine line...

Boo hoo hoo! :bor:

After four months of the trumpet you'd be lucky if you could play about 6 notes. After four months of the violin, people would run screaming from the room when you picked it up. After four months of the piano, you'd be able to play a few scales.

And after four months of med school (after four years of college and getting into med school in the first place) you'd be qualified to put a band-aid on someone.

An instrument takes time. Years, to be exact. Take your time and quit your whining.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

An instrument takes time. Years, to be exact. Take your time and quit your whining.

Come on Jeremy, he might be a prodigy. Didn't Stuart Zender pick up a $50 Hondo bass and learn the entire Jaco album in 5 minutes while playing it bakwards at high speed on a record player? :D

In all seriousness, after four months of playing, you should be happily learning your fingerstyle technique(s).

I am somewhat accomplished at thumb-style. That said, while it sounds pretty cool while sitting at home in front of your practice amp, guess how many times I've slapped on stage in the past couple of years? ZERO! Guess how many times I've used my fingers? EVERY TIME!

And as a preemptive strike on the Peanut Gallery; YES, I have had some gigs in the past couple of years! :D

Uh-oh Soul skater...

Don't let ERIK (CMDN) catch you with that avatar. Someone else had that avatar before while he did, and I don't think they post here anymore.

(I think he sent Butt-Butt to go suffocate them) :D

Yea, Getz76 I'm in the same boat as you. I can slap decently. I've only been practing the technique seriously since this summer. I play metal in my band, so I dont really slap much.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by PETE_COMBS:

very well said jeremyc,even I like to jump and different things,dont try to rush learn to crawl before you walk.

indeed jeremyc, this is my biggest thing... I'm really hard on myself when I mess up... but it's because I expect to be as good as the people I listen to.... I've been playing (every now and then) for less than 2 years but I go to my bassment and expect to perfectly thump out "Hair" without any kind of instruction, knowledge, etc etc..
Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

One of your problems with slapping might be your attack. If your not hitting the string(s) with enough attack it won't sound right at all. A lot of people have this problem when learning to slap. It's usually because a lack of stamina in the wrist. Try tapping your thumb and pinky fingers(alternately) on your bass above your strings. After a while you will be able to do this evenly and with a good amount of attack. Once you can do this try it on the E, A, D, and G strings. Start out slow and then when it sounds good try speeding it up a little. This is how I learned how to slap, there are many other ways and many books on the subject(a lot of them can be found on this forum).
"A is A"-the people of tunagialand

Originally posted by getz76:

Originally posted by ian101:

It's usually because a lack of stamina in the wrist.

I've never had a problem with this. Wonder why? :D
You play racquetball regularly? Perhaps squash? :confused:

:D:D:D

Originally posted by getz76:

And as a preemptive strike on the Peanut Gallery; YES, I have had some gigs in the past couple of years!

Yeah, Maury, like you've had any gigs in the past couple of years!...oooops, wait a second...

Regards,

--Sweet "Peanut Gallery" Willie ;)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

yeah what those guys said,

while when i here victor or marcus playing slap i am impressed when i go to a local show and someone is trying to slap i usually am not.i enjoy slapping at home and learning new techniques but i never use it in a tune. if you learn the basics first and focus on your timing then all that other cool ftuff will come to you.if you must play slap try hitting the string with side of your thumb knuckle near wear the neck meets the body.use a bounce don't just hit it kind of bounce off and when plucking with you rfingers kind of pluck for below the string pulling on it just a little. most important relax when you play if you are tense it won't sound as good.

i grew up watching TV and i turned out TV

SoulSkater, slap and thump away, even if you sound crude. I think it is cool to slap/pop a bass. I can't do it. But I admire the players that can.

As I read the thread, I thought, all this stuff about sticking to the fundamentals made us all sound like we are of an average age of 67 years old and have forgotten what it is like to be excited about an instrument. (Not that there is anything wrong with being 67 years old. :D Next month I turn 48 and by the time I'm 67 I hope to be a slapping/poping bass monster!)

When you are new you need to keep focused on the things that got you interested in the first place, be that groov'n or slap'n. Just working on fundamentals all day long will get boring and you will quit before you get to do the things that brought you to the instrument. Mix in the sweet with the sour (the slapping with the scales, etc.) and you will have fun while you are growing as a musician.

So go ahead and slap, pop and definately learn to groove!

Da HypnoBassMan

"The deeper you go the better you feel."

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

I will add that I had been playing bass professionally for over 5 years when I saw Larry Graham play and decided to learn how to slap.

I practiced this technique for ONE YEAR before I used it in public.

I now have been using the slapping technique for almost 30 years and I still practice it.

Yes, you are excited and want to learn. You will learn. But maybe not the first time you try something.

Letsch (I think that is it) was doing some basics of slap and pop playing in BP articles about a month or two ago. If you can get some those, you might learn some good fundamentals to build on. If you really want to get good at it, I would say start slow and develop a good sound for just open string thumps. Do it rhythmically as weel (quarters, eighths, triplets, sixteenths and variations). The main thing is to make the music have a groove and you can do that with one note or a bunch of notes (usually easier with one note). Good Luck.

We must accept the consequences of being ourselves-Sojourn of Arjuna

Music at www.moporoco.com/nick

It's true (as Jeremy said) that the learning curve for guitar type instruments is such that a relative beginner can attept fairly advanced techniques.

All that aside, I took a divergent approach when all the slap-happy stuff started happening in the 1790s---I mean, 1970s ;) .

After watching others constantly switch their hand positions to go from pick to finger-plucking to thumb & palm slap positions, I adopted something bandmates called "the Claw", a variation on classical guitar plucking technique (or banjo pickers :rolleyes: ).

I play almost always without a pick & hold my hand above the strings with thumb & fingers plucking the strings. It's very fast, since much can be done without moving my overall hand position. To get a slapping sound I just pull up a bit more & the string snaps against the fretboard on release.

Try it, you might find it works for you.

Archived