Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Testosterone, anyone?

davebrownbass

I guess I'm speaking to all our male lowdowners here...gals, don't take offense.

I have read the postings of our new member "RogerWatersGirl" and I have to say...wow!

In one post she mentions 4 basses...vintage Fenders included. In another, she mentions she "taught one of her boyfriends to play bass." And she takes her handle from the bassist of a great band.

Is that the ultimate bassist's girlfriend?

It seems unreal. Maybe "she's" really a 35 year old basement nerd trying to get all us bassers excited!

Anyway, I, for one, am hoping she is who she purports to be. Hmmm...with those basses, rich, maybe a good player, maybe cute?

Maybe she IS Roger Water's girl...daughter?

At any rate guys...gotta leave this one alone...in a post she mentions she's only 17!

:D:D:D

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ranks of lady bassists who don't "play well for a girl" are growing every day, and I support it wholeheartedly:

Nikki Parrot is tearing it up with Les Paul every monday night here (which reminds me, I still need to go see him).

Lizzy D can speak for herself, I'll mention that players like Bumpcity and Tony Levin ( :eek: ) are singing her praises.

Carol Kaye continues to lay down serious tracks all over the place. Even if all you do with your life is watch The Simpsons regularly, you've heard her a billion times. Then there's her unbelievable output during the 60's and 70's...

Me'Shell Ndegeocello is an amazing artist and an unbelievably groovin' bassist. Her funky licks are seriously ballsy and in the pocket. She's got nads. (Or "ovs" I guess) :D

Countless scores of others I'm forgetting. Davebrown, what's the name of that great double bassist and vocalist you always rave about.

Girls, keep these ranks growing. End the myths! (Not that I ever believed them anyway...)

Debra Killings came up on the "hip-hop bass" thread. There's also an article about her in the Oct BP mag. She's a gospel player who has done hip-hop work, playing tracks for the likes of OutKast and Jay-Z. She also has just completed a solo project.

Come to think of it, I think there has been increased coverage of female bassists in BP of recent. I think that's a good thing. Any of them graced a cover yet? Maybe Tina Weymouth?

It would be nice to see more female bassists on the board, though. Connie Z has probably been the most active of recent.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

What impresses me is that RWG has shown language competence, and has made positive contributions. I don't care how old she is or how well she plays. She's a welcome addition.

As to testosterone, I have to deal with it's nasty effects with all the women I meet/speak with. I don't worry about getting in trouble because I'm too old/smart for that...

I applaud the women who play and smack those stereotypes.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom (Mr. Z-Capasso) you are right as usual.

And BenLoy: that would be the incomparable Kristin Korb.

Lest we forget, here is the place where I introduced her: Last years August fantasy.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Well, us ladies are out there, boys... (and some of us got BIG balls...) [figuratively, of course]! ;)

Today is only my first day on the board (just found this place this a.m.), but I've been playing for 15 years. I LOVE to play the hard, metal stuff, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc... Right now I'm playing with an original group who aren't quite that hard... more mainstream rock. But I always find time to cut loose! (Who can't find time for some Steve Harris?!)

My gear includes:

Fender Lyte 4-string, Washburn acoustic 4-string, Aria (Fender copy) 4-string (I use as backup). Ampeg SVT 8X10 cab & SVT head, Various Peavy cabs & Peavey Mark IV head. These are my primary "live" toys at the moment.

My newest challenges are this new computer recording stuff... Just got a new laptop w/Vegas recording software, and bass PODxt. These are all fun toys, but I have to admit that my attention span for the techie stuff is pretty short... I just wanna plug in and rock out!! But I'm trying to sit myself on the couch for an hour or so each night and focus on this stuff.

CHICKS ROCK!

WIN!

Originally posted by WIN:

Well, us ladies are out there, boys... (and some of us got BIG balls...) [figuratively, of course]! ;)

Whenever I run into a lady who shakes the walls with her musical prowess, I don't say she's got balls...I say she's got ovaries!!!

And there's another one, Clatteramy, from not far from KC in central Missouri on this here forum that plays some monster stuff!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Dave mentioned the ultimate bass player's girlfriend...surely she would be a drummer?

Or that girl that I was to tired and wigged out after a really good show to talk to properly. She even asked me (without prompting) why my bass had five strings when all the others basses she'd seen had four aaaaaaaaaaaand she was genuinely interested when answered the question in my usual rambling and long winded fashion!!!!!! (She went home with the singer from one of the other bands on the bill.)

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

I often wondered why there's such low number of female bass players. It's not an opportunity thing, all you need is the cash to buy your first bass.

Physical? Probably not, I'm 5 ft 4 and weigh 9 and a half stone (my math is terrible so I'll not even try to convert that to lbs). I've pretty small hands.

Culture? Well I know rock music is a very male area, but other genre's don't appear to be so sexist.

Anyway, it's good to see more women join up!

p.s Kim Deal is one of my favourite bassists, The Pixies wouldn't be the Pixies without her class lines!

Cup

I`ve been wondering for while when someone was going to mention the talented and beautiful Kim Deal. Simple, elegant, just the perfect compliment(or contrast) to Frank Black`s sometimes over-bearing personality. And that voice!

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

Seriously though, there is nothing more totally awsome than a chick bass player. They just make bass playing seem so much cooler, and sexier, but that's just due to a whole other line of reasoning.

The end result, GET MORE CHICK BASS PLAYERS. THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, as far as the board goes, we could use some female influence, makes life interesting.

Three cheers for the girls of punk rawk!

Mark

P.S. The crappy part being that Britan is across an ocean from me. Crap......So are there any amazingly awsome, single, bass playing chicks in canada, or even in the northern U.S.? I'm living in a rock chick vacuum. All the rock chicks up here are groupies, and groupies tend to be too happy/bouncy/slutty for me.

Archived