Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'VE NEVER LEARNED GUITAR OR BASS....WHAT DO I DO????

Sith Lord

I'm currently 24 years old and was into drums well over 10 years. I took up drums because of one person. That person was Lars Ulrich of Metallica. I was going to learn guitar but I figured that is something EVERYBODY takes. Everyone just seems to ignore drums and I know that drums play an important role in a band. When I heard Metallica and how Lars rocked on the drums, I was blown away and wanted to play like him. But I never started a band or been in one. Now that I'm 24, I want to start a band with a friend that I met that plays guitar. I have written a few song lyrics throughout the years, which is ironic because I can't sing at all. Yet people have read my lyrics and liked them very much. I also have made up a lot of songs up in my head which I haven't been able to write down on paper but yet they remain in my head as if they were audio recorded. I know that the only way to recreate these beats in my head is with a guitar. But for some reason or another...guitar doesn't call me at all. Bass is what calls me. I guess it calls me because I admire 2 men. Those men are Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers and most importantly Fieldy from Korn. Watching them play just makes me WANT to play a bass guitar. But like the subject of this post says...I never learned bass or guitar. I met up with a teacher that is willing to show me how to play either or for $30 an hour. I'm confused on which instrument to pick up. People are telling me that if I have songs to create then I should pick guitar. That with bass guitar I really wouldn't be able to recreate any beats that are in my head. That guitar is what will serve me right. That bass is only if I want to Jam hard like Flea or Fieldy. So my question to all you bassists out there is as follows. I have songs that I want to create with a friend and possibly start up a band. But I don't know which to start to learn. Guitar or bass...which SHOULD it be??? If I pick either or...how long will it take me to actually say " I know how to play this instrument "? Drums took me about a year before I was playing quite well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by getz76:

http://www.utexas.edu/tours/mainbuilding/carillon/keyboard.jpg

:D

In all seriousness, though, learning keyboards/piano/rhodes/hammond (now I digress...) might really be the way to go -- especially if you're planning on being the drummer in this band you're trying to put together. You'll get both treble and bass clef, learn loads about harmony and theory, and have a very effective songwriting tool at your fingertips (pun intended).

Also the two-hand rhythmic independence that keyboards require more often than guitar or bass (I think I'm right about that) would both benefit from and contribute to the rhythmic independence you need for your two hands and two feet as a drummer.

That said...bass kicks ass. Bring on the low end!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have found it difficult to write songs playing bass only. I can play enough keyboard to sing a melody over chords to know what might work, but I don't hear the "whole" song until a guitar player or competent keyboardist plays them for me. I have no problem with this, because the other person helps me write the song, adding their own ideas. For the few songs I've written, this makes them better.

What I'm saying is not to choose your instrument just to write songs.

As a drummer, the bass is very closely aligned to what you already know. You might want to listen closely to bass parts (there is a thread here with lots of suggestions), guitar parts (not just the leads, but the "underneath" stuff), and keyboard parts (not as prominent in metal, but there are plenty of rock keys people). Then decide what part you want to play in the band.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Personally, I'd learn how to play guitar first if songwriting is your goal. Also, the transition from guitar to bass is more natural IMO (you'd probably play bass like a guitar player, but at least you'll be able to play it.)

Now that I think about it, this is exactly what I did. I started playing guitar at 19, and by 21 I realized I would much rather play bass. With experience on guitar I was able to teach myself how to play a bass pretty easily. (I'm still teaching myself how to play it well, however.)

But if your goal is to "jam like Fieldy", get a 5-string and go for it. Hell, with you're coordination as a drummer, you probably aren't far away from duplicating Fieldy's lines since he's more of a percussionist than a bassist.

Ah, nice marmot.

i would suggest guitar. since u seem to really like metal, piano probably wont give u the satisfaction that a guitar would when hearing ur musical ideas in auditory form. bass will be lacking because of the fact that it is not primarily a chordal instrument. with guitar, u will be able to write (obviously) the guitar parts, and even the bass parts (just a couple octaves higher--ull still get the idea and be able to instruct ur future band members in tthe parts of the song). Good Luck

I meant, perhaps you should post this question on a keys forum...I only give it 6/10.
A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

You won't learn how to play anything by asking a question as to which instrument to learn.

You will learn how to play something if you get an instrument in your hands and actually try to play it.

A teacher will help you, but you have to do the work.

Writing songs in your head that you can't sing or play isn't doing anything.

Do something, then get back to us and let us know what you did.

Learning an instrument takes years.

It takes patience and perservance.

Good luck in your journey.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Learning an instrument takes years.

..and it takes even longer to master the instrument.

I personally look up to several members of the forum that have been playing bass longer than I've been alive! (29 years, not to point out any names ;) ) After 11+ years of concentrating on bass alone, I feel like I have a good understanding of the instrument. I have a lot to learn. Music is a learning process from the day you start playing it to the day to stop. You can never know everything. Every day I strive to be a better, more versitile player.

Though I loves my bass, I have started writing tunes and have fo that the keyboards are the best way to write tunes. Your best bet is use the keyboards first, then learn guitar, then learn bass when you're ready. It will have a big advantage for you, it did for me, and probably everyone else out there.

Big man, pig man!

Ha ha Charade You Are!

You well heeled big wheel...

Ha ha charade you are...

You're nearly a laugh, but you're really a cry!

(Pink Floyd, Pigs)

Archived