Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sadowsky?

frontlinebass

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dcr:

Any bass maker who has garnered over 250 posts to date on this forum, must be doing something right.

:D "Sadowsky" even shows up in the subject header on a couple of them! ;)

I have not played a Sadowsky bass. A friend has a Sadowsky guitar, which I've fingered, but not being an experienced guitarist I don't think I was capable of understanding its value.

I would like to try a Sadowsky bass. I don't think I will ever own one, especially when I can get high quality custom work without the "Sadowsky" name for sub-$3000.

frontline, there was a get-together of various NYC forum members sometime last year I believe. They visited Roger at his workshop, got to hear from him about his work, and then got to spend time playing his instruments in his "showroom." That thread is a pretty interesting read, and it even includes some photos. (Am I right, Capasso?)

Every once in a while someone here has a GAS attack and posts a photo from Roger's website. It happened most recently to BenLoy, who started a thread called "Mmmmmm...", which led to a bunch of posts of pretty basses.

tnb plays a Sadowsky. I think 57pbass also owns a couple. Maybe they'll chime in later.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

At Sweet Willie's request, I will chime in.

My Sadowsky 5 (also known as Beloved) is the shit. Not a bad sound in it. I have been playing it a lot with the pre amp-off and people still comment on the tone. In the studio, on stage, in a bar, my sound checks are short and sweet.

I waited 8 or 9 months for my Sadowsky. I paid $2400 for it (1996 I think). I would have paid more and waited longer if asked.

When it arrived, I took it out of the box, went to the gig, plugged it in, played a note and waited for our monitor guy to crap his pants. Even the tone deaf front of house woman running the mains was impressed. My MD was impressed. The drummer just howled. The company manager was impressed. The guitar players turned green with envy, one called Roger the very next day. Unfortunately Roger doesn't make left handed guitars.

What else can I say but save your pennies? It is a well made, well put together bass and the electronics kill.

The closest I will get is my jazz bass that now has a Sadowsky preamp and jazz pickups in it. I love the look of those 4 in line knobs. It may not be a $2,600 Sadowsky, but I recorded with it and it sounded pretty damn sweet. Kicks ass live, too.

Originally posted by rub_a_dub_stylie:

I`ve never played one, but I got to say, thats a damn fine looking instrument.

My 5 string green Yamaha's somewhat similar to that. It doesn't come with a maple fretboard, or that toggle switch that I see next to one of the knobs. It does use an active 2-band eq, something Sadowsky highly prefers, and I think he has some good reasons for it.

The pictured Sadowsky does look like the business, though, but I ain't lettin' go of my green monster anytime soon! :D

I'm fortunate enough to own an Alder/Rosewood PJ5.

It's an awsome piece of work.

Fit and finish is nothing short of perfect.

You could burry it 6 feet deep in the ground, set the band on top of it and it would still cut through the mix..

The pain of the buy-in lasted about ten minutes of the first set I played with it. By the end of the first set I had decided it would be a bargain at twice the price.

Yea, Roger Sadowsky definately knows how to bake a cake.

I have a Modern 5. bought it used. Transparent sound. No dead spots, especially on G string, D-E notes.

Very straight neck. I love the settings of truss rod. When I set truss rod, I can notice only the curve from nut to fret 12 only. No visible mevement from 12 to 24.

I bought Sadowsky for sound, build quality and good customer service.

When we visited Roger last year (it's a year already? I better plan another date...), he spoke about dead spots. Because of his care and feeding of the wood, they don't happen often. When they do, he usually detects them in the shop, and has found that swapping bodies usually fixes them. Sometimes subtle dead spots are found by customers, and he's done the same (swap some part of the bass). He said in all his years, he's only had one neck that he couldn't recover due to dead spots.

Sorta makes you think about the symbiotic resonance relationship going on between neck and body.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov-Capasso:

Sorta makes you think about the symbiotic resonance relationship going on between neck and body.

Tom

Probably why the guillotine was such an effective execution device for the French a couple of centuries ago! ;):eek::D

Hey Taz, got any "guillotine" smilies/graemlins that you could post here? :D:thu:

spreadluv

I am chiming in on this post since I am the owner of 4 Sadowskys.

I am working towards his buy 8 get one free deal....

I have a

24 fret maple neck 5 string circa 1995

a Vintage Jazz 4 string Alder/ rosewood/ Sadowsky PUPs

a 4 string ash/maple EMG pups and a Ultra Vintage Precision Bass Alder/Rosewood/ Sadowsky pups.

I purchased 2 of tem new in the mid 90's and one used in 97. I recently acquired the Ultra Vintage P bass for full price UGH!!

I have been vet happy with the basses and they are as close to perfect as you can get.

More to come I am getting kicked off the computer at the Library.....

www.danielprine.com

As I was saying.....

If you like the sound of Sadowsky basses and are in the market for a high end bass you should include this line in your search.. They are well made and allow you to dial up many sounds and they set up easily.

You can also call into the shop and get great service from the crew.

Home computer is in transit as I write this email....

www.danielprine.com

GAS attack!!! :eek:

Suddenly I'm craving a Sadowsky Vintage PJ 4-string -- maple fingerboard, swamp ash body, vintage tint, black-white-black pickguard, chrome control plate and hardware, Sadowsky P and humcancelling J pickups. :cool:

Yikes!!!

Somebody pinch me!

spreadluv

Sweet Willie sez:

Suddenly I'm craving a Sadowsky Vintage PJ 4-string -- maple fingerboard, swamp ash body, vintage tint, black-white-black pickguard, chrome control plate and hardware, Sadowsky P and humcancelling J pickups.

Come on Sweet Willie, do it. All of the cool kids are doing it!

Originally posted by tnb:

Sweet Willie sez:

Suddenly I'm craving a Sadowsky Vintage PJ 4-string...

Come on Sweet Willie, do it. All of the cool kids are doing it!
Thomas, I'll order it as soon as you lend me $3000 @ 0% interest to be paid back at a rate of $10/month for 300 months. Thanks for the encouragement! :thu:

spreadluv

When last in New York I made a point of heading over to Sadowsky guitars, and spent some quality time in their showroom.

I started with their 4-strings, where are amazingly well-luthiered instruments. Everything about them is just right. Even so, I didn't get "the magic" from them that I have with a few other select basses. It's a taste thing.

Then I plugged in a five. And another. By FAR the best 5-string I've ever played (and i've played other high end basses). I stopped playing 5 because I didn't find it as physically pleasurable as a 4. Well, I could easily see picking up a Sadowsky 5er. Too bad that our household needs to new Macs before I can start saving for another bass. . . .

FWIW, my main bass is an old 4string Modulus Bassstar.

Best,

--JES

Archived