Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Passive/Active electronics

mattski_dup1

Hey guys. I just recently bought a Galveston 7 string bass with Passive/Active electronics. I bought the bass used, which is why it only cost $750 instead of $1600. I didn't even know it had the P/A's until after I brought it home, and on passive the bass sounds beautiful. However, after discovering the active elec's, I decided to try them, and found out that they sound very buzzed-out, almost muffled as if playing through a blown out speaker (a little bit of exaggeration there, but you get the point). I'm not sure exactly how P/A's are suppossed to work having never had a piece with them equipped before. Can someone tell me if I should soak money into getting them fixed, or are they as they should be now? (my friend said "that's how active electronics sound, man..." but I'm not convinced). Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was my first thought, too. If that doesn't do it (or doesn't do all of it), check your imput gain level at the amplifier; active electronics put out a higher level from the instrument, & that can cause clipping or distortion at gain levels at which passive basses are often used.

While it's probably the battery, I don't know what kind of amp you have. I have an old bit of junk amp, and my active circuit can overdrive the preamp in the head. I went to a store and tested it in a GK800 to be sure that it was my head....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived