Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paying More Respect To ROBERT TRIJILLO

PETE_COMBS

Watching t.v the other night a band come on called "nicklecreek" and I idmediantly though some gay new band,but 4 people walk into a music store and start playing a short of bluegrass with swang but in the belefleck style sort of to me.They had a banjo player,acoustic guitarist,robert on an upright and a women fiddle player.But the reason that I pay respect for is that he has kind of went back to his roots instead of playing fast metal riffs he wanted to explore with playing bass again were bass is the bass and note the deap tone behond the guitarist playing heavy music and exspecailly were he is playing with metallica a "new metal band" he can't come out on top when wants or even get to explore with his bass in that style of music,he could but it's metallica and they just play what sells anymore,but I have to say that I was surprized at the fact that he went back to explore a little bit and progress as he wants.
Pete Combs...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by PETE_COMBS:

Watching t.v the other night a band come on called "nicklecreek".

Pete, Nickel Creek has been around a while. They're produced by Alison Krauss. They won a Grammy for best contemporary folk album. Sean Watkins is a monster flat picker as well. Interesting happenings to say the least. The samuri playing URB....cool.

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

Robert definatly deserves more respect than people give him. I think everyone is just mad about the whole Metallica thing. Although Metallica just doesn't cut it anymore (the last album was pittiful) Robert is still an amazing player.

Im just a dreamer

Dreaming my life away

I totaly agree with you there,I pay him respect for the bass player that he is and the musical achievments that he has concured on his instrument.

Bu to jump to the story the 2 guys that I hang with form morning to nite al most a blother type friend listen and respect music for what it is and we're all into musicians with musical talent,as well as our other friends and people in the music crowd say different about musicians like RJ and other greats.

They criticize what image he's putting out,when most dont even know what musical background he has came from.

Pete Combs...

i could not agree with you more. first he was with such a kick ass band like suicidal tendencies and then black label society and now his metallica stuff is awesome. he is one of my favorite bassists especially with S.T.
I fell down, down, down in a burning ring of fire. R.I.P. JOHNNY CASH!

Robert Trujillo is an amazing talent in every sense of the word. He did great stuff with Suicidal, Infectious Grooves, and every other project he's been involved with. (did you check out the Jerry Cantrell CDs??) Now that he's playing bass with Metallica, I say "yay!". He's a monster of a player that will do justice to the bass chair that he's taken over. Cliff and Newkid both brought to Metallica a different but equal amount of that special something. Robert is one of the bassists that I feel will be able to continue to contribute on that fine line of great players who have been in that band. Now if they could just take the wah-wah away from Kirk...

Originally posted by PETE_COMBS:

What kind of bass playing does he do with suicidal tendecies.

Really friggin' fast. ;)

It's skate punk/hardcore music, or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays. Not a lot of the slap/pop stuff that he did with Infectious Grooves. Lots of high speed fingerstyle performance on the Suicidal albums.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Now if they could just take the wah-wah away from Kirk...

You got that right...that was really new and refreshing a decade ago!!
"All my life, I always wanted to be somebody...Now I see that I should have been more specific."

I have to say that I don't get into the whole country tunes were there is the singing ,but I dig the music and the original sound that they shell out with.I'm big into the bluegrass,folk genre,coming form kentucky I kind of respect the style aswell as the talent and complexity in there music as musicains,belefleck turned me on to that area of the bluegrass,folk deal,but anyways I love the music that they play and that's all that matters I guess.
Pete Combs...

Yeah, it's mighty cool to see Robert T. playing upright in that Nickel Creek video...but he's not playing bass on the track, nor did he play on the CD. The track features the unmistakable arco playing of Edgar Meyer. Also featured on the CD is the very tasty Nashville session bassist Byron house.

Spankin' the plank all the way to the bank!

JoeKyleJr.com

Archived