Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey basses.......What do you think?

rub_a_dub_stylie

I just got the new Musicians Friend 2 weeks ago and finally got around to reading it. I havn`t seen much from Peavey in a few years, not that I`ve been looking, and used to think of them as nothing more than mediocre begginer basses. I don`t know if this is new, but they have this Cirrus line that looks pretty hot with exotic woods, active pu`s, nice solid looking bridges, and all for about $1200 - $2000 for a PEAVEY!!! And those were Musician`s Friend prices. So I got to thinking, if I were to spend my hard earned money, and that much, would I buy a Peavey? I guess it boils down to what you like, howver, what does everyone think about thier track record and would you spend Pedulla, Warwick, Tobias and such prices for them?

Lates All

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first...

... I\'d read this thread...

... and this thread...

... and this thread.

Then I'd decide if I wanted to revive any of those threads. If not, I'd open a new thread and write something like, "I did a search and saw what some other folks had to say about Peavey basses, but I still have some questions..."

Consolidating threads seems to make searches go better...err, that is, makes it possible to search more efficiently.

I have not played a Cirrus bass. I have heard both positive and negative reviews of them...on this board, in fact! I wonder how they compare to those Ibanez BTB basses as well...hmmmm.

Peace.

--sweeter'n'lower

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

rub-a-dub is new, so i need to give him the known disclaimer that i am a peavey employee. most of the folks around here will tell you i'm pretty honest and balanced about peavey product offerings. that said...

the cirrus is a much nicer bass than the BTBs i've played. i guess that's not saying much, since i've never seen one of the high end BTBs. i like even the lower end BTBs, but the cirrus is a different league of instrument.

the production facility in plant 2 is pretty impressive. the cirrus line is about as close to botique as production can get. there's more hand labor in a cirrus than a lakland, USA or skyline. i've been to both factories and seen both operations in the last six months. i love lakland basses, too.

you may or may not like the design decisions that go into a cirrus, like the active pickpus coupled with an active EQ preamp, or the 35" scale, but have no doubts that for build quality, the cirrus basses compare favorably to basses that sell for more than twice what a cirrus sells for.

robb.

Thanks, robb.! :thu:

It's funny that you mention two design decisions that I question myself! I can understand why an altered scale might not be a reasonable option on a production bass, but it might be nice to be able to choose at least passive or active pickups...

Speaking of 35" scale, I'm starting to learn that while I definitely notice a difference in 35" scale vs. 34" scale, I have played enough 35" scale basses to realize that some feel better to me than others. That said, I haven't played a Cirrus. However, as an example, the 35" MTD I played in Calif. w/ JeremyC, Wally, and Whappo felt really good to me. I was not as comfortable, for example, that same day playing the 35" Lull 5, as nice a bass as it was. I really like 34.5" scale for a 5-string (e.g., the F Bass I played at Jimmy C's shop in NYC w/ Bastid E and wraub).

Sorry for the tangent into the Land of Scale Length.

Please resume your Peavey ruminations. :)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I worked in a music store for about a year, and we got in some Cirrus's, which I thought were great. The sound/tone wasn't something I liked, as best I remember the tone being too smooth, so I didn't use my employee discount and get one (would've been half retail price). Looked great, felt great, even tonal response, but no matter how I tweaked it, or what amp I ran it thru, I couldn't get it to sound how I would like it. It definetely had a different voice than alot of basses I've played. I'd recommend it to anyone. I think I sold three of 'em, as I got excited about them.
Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Sorry about not using the search function guys. Sometimes I like to hear what you have to say now not then. And thanks Robb, for the input. I have to say that I havn`t played one either Willie, but I did like the features that were listed in M.F. And to add to this, my first bass was a Peavey Fury and I had no complaints about it then.

Side note, I just remembered also that why I started playing bass was because of this cute little girl I knew who had a bass at her house and one day I picked it up, not knowing what I was doing, and fiddled around at it. She said "you have big hands, you should play bass" and with that, here I am today, a bass player.

Lates All

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

I'll admit that I haven't played a LOT of basses, but I've laid hands on several offerings from Fender, Ibanez, MusicMan, Yamaha, Jackson, and Peavey, and then a miscellanous "other" bass like Pedulla, or my Ashbory, or Hamer.

After all of that, I don't regret one bit the $1400 I spent on my Peavey Cirrus 5-string fretted maple, or the $1000 I spent on my Peavey Cirrus 5-string fretless walnut. I'm still cursing myself for missing a chance at $850 for a 6-string tiger-eye. That was a beautiful bass!

A month or two ago, I wanted to find a 4-string bass with a very fast neck so I could play a particularly demanding drop-D piece with my progressive rock band. I auditioned a number of instruments and found nothing to my satisfaction. Finally, I decided to just drop-D my fretted Cirrus (I had been using a low-end Yamaha 4-string on that song) and realized that my solution had been sitting there the whole time.

The necks and fretboards are fast, the construction is solid and attractive, they hold tuning superbly, and they are fairly well-balanced. On top of it all, they sound GREAT and are fairly versatile. I always get compliments on the sound of my basses wherever I go.

The only bass that I've ever personally laid hands on that felt nicer than my Cirri was a $2500 Pedulla Pentabuzz fretless. I'm glad I didn't buy it, because the Cirrus fretless makes me plenty happy and obviously cost much less.

I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a high-quality bass without a boutique price.

I have played a few Cirrus basses and never played a lemon. They've all felt good and sounded good acoustically and amped. I don't notice the extra length. I like their sound, but I like the sound of my Stingray a lot more. The price in MF is the same as it is at my local shop. I say go for it. You'll be happy.

Thanks Cornbread,

I wasn`t actually thinking about buying one. I`m pretty happy with what I have. It was more of a shock, I had no idea that peaveeey was making such high end instruments.

www.richfieldmusic.com

I've played a couple of them - just about bought a Tiger Eye 4 string. It's like any bass - YOU have to like how it plays and sounds. If you want my blessing, I have no problem giving it to you. I think they are fine basses.

It's kind of like my Carvin experience. I held off getting one because people would kind of give me a look when I talked about them. I finally ordered my fretless 6 and i LOVE it. Actually, so does everyone else. It's a great bass. Lord knows I've tried enough of them over the last couple years.

Give it a shot. If you don't like it - sell it and try again. It's fun!

Originally posted by rub_a_dub_stylie:

...my first bass was a Peavey Fury and I had no complaints about it then.

the cirrus is much more comfortable than the fury. if you liked your fury's feel, you'll love]/i] the feel of a cirrus.

again, sound is subjective and i won't comment on that, but the cirrus is an exceptionally comfortable and solid bass. whereas the fury VI i have in the lab is difficult to play and took a long time to figure out, the cirrus 5 and 6 basses i've played have all been second nature. i'm not much of a non-4string player, but i have had no problems with that of the cirrus.

in the interest of being forcedly balanced, i also found the zon 5 i played in august to be of the same comfort and quality, as well as a conklin 7 string.

robb.

Rub,

I've had my Cirrus now for four years and it has been my main bass for almost all my gigs. I have been playing bass for over 15 years and cannot say enough about the Cirrus line of basses.

I will say that if you get a Cirrus bass you wont go wrong.

My Gear:

'99 Peavey Cirrus 5 - redwood top

'00 Peavey G5

'97 Fender American Jazz Dlx 5

'00 Peavey Firebass head

'03 Peavey 4x10 TVX

'99 Peavey 115 Combo amp

'96 Carvin R600

'94 SWR Golliath

ikestr

...hertz down low....

Ive only been playing for a short while but my guitar player made me play every bass possible which sucks cause i couldnt afford the ones i REALLY liked, anyway the cirrus plays like a dream and i actually got a fury which to me seemed the best bass for the money

You know back in the day, Peavey had a reputation as good working man gear. Moderately priced. My circle of musicians always loved them for this reason and I have never had a bad experience with any Peavey gear. My first real bass was a T40. I wish I still had it. I still have a Peavey board, CS 800 poweramps, and a bass head. This stuff will not breakdown. I even lost an amp out of the back of a pickup truck on the way to a gig. After retriving it, I played the show with no problems. I have no doubt that if Peavey wants to make a high end bass that the quality is great.

I use Peavey amps and I still love them...I tried the Cirrus that Musician's Friend is talking about and it was alright for me, but I still love my Fender. I'd say to go into a shop and try them out first, see if you like the feel and tone and then decide. That is the best way to shop for this type of this type of thing so you know what it feels like and how it sounds and wether or not you'll like them!!!

Big man, pig man!

Ha ha Charade You Are!

You well heeled big wheel...

Ha ha charade you are...

You're nearly a laugh, but you're really a cry!

(Pink Floyd, Pigs)

Archived