Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bakithi Kumalo!!!

rub_a_dub_stylie

First off I would like to say he is one of my biggest heroes. And second, for years I was playing his stuff on fretted, and new it didnt sound right because, of coarse, he uses a fretless. And lastly, I can`t believe I never knew he used a brass plate for his fretless. Shame on me, two slaps from a g-string and from now on I am forced to use a pick :mad: . Thanks for the info, I will have to look into some options along the lines of the plate thing definately now.

Lates All

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey rub_a_dub,

Welcome to the board. Nice to have you here.

A tip for you -- instead of starting a new thread for every discussion you want to have about fretless, just add a reply onto one of the threads you've already started.

In some cases, having a separate thread makes sense (like the one about fingerboard oil), but in this case your Bakithi comment could have been a continuation of the "another fretless question" thread, rather than its own new thread.

Another tip -- there's a handy "search" feature on this board, and you may find lots of past discussion about things you're interested in.

Peace,

--Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Sorry, davebrownbass said he did,

"When I was studying with Chuck Rainey, he told me Bakithi Kumalo did use such a brass plate."

So, I`m not sure whether he did or not, but I`ll look into it.

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

Originally posted by rub_a_dub_stylie:

Sorry, davebrownbass said he did,

"When I was studying with Chuck Rainey, he told me Bakithi Kumalo did use such a brass plate."

And BenLoy would've known DBB had posted that info if you had included your Bakithi comment in the original thread where DBB shared that info.

Ah-ha! :)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yeah, I can't say for sure, never having played it myself. All I know is I was studying with Chuck in 1990-91...about the time Bakithi was really huge.

And I would second Willie's comments....it's nice for posterity to combine similar threads...that way interesting discussions are gathered together in one place.

One thing I do, when a topic comes up, is revive an old thread...that way searching becomes more useful.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived