Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Yamaha BB3000S: how much is it worth?

Michelle ggurl

Hi folks, here's the deal:

I have a fretless, unlined ebony fretboard, neck-thru Yamaha BB3000S bass, looks like the classic BB3000s (ie, cream-colored, brass/gold hardware, P + J style pickup config), and I want to sell it. Thing is, headstock says it's made in Taiwan, and I can only find info for "vintage" BB3000S basses made in Japan.

I bought this used off a friend in the late '80s. DOes anyone have an instrument Blue Book or tips on how I can find out what this is worth?? I have the serial # if that would help. I need the dough more than the bass.

Thanks.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi GG,

In good condition, it's worth $17.85 according to The Complete Used Bass Blue Book, 17th ed. ©2003; however, I'll (generously) offer you US$25.00 for it.

:)

C.V.: Snowboarder (1983-), Bass Owner (1996-), Chemistry Teacher (1997-) & Serious Bass Student (2003-)

Okay, seriously now, I looked on eBay to see if any of these have sold in the last 30 days or so, but didn't find any exact matches. The closest I could find was this search on Ebay .

Hope this is somehow helpful,

Martin

C.V.: Snowboarder (1983-), Bass Owner (1996-), Chemistry Teacher (1997-) & Serious Bass Student (2003-)

Unfortunately it's probably worth in dollars a lot less than it's worth as an instrument.

The Yamaha BB series are very nice basses that never seemed to take off in the marketplace.

You could bring it over to Guitar Center, ask them what they'd give you for it. Then double that price and make it your asking price. That's the same thing they would do.

Thanks for the insights, guys. Yeah Jeremy, that's what I think I'm gonna have to do. I'd just keep it if it wasn't so ergonimically, well, wrong for me. It's light and has low action -- both plusses -- but there are other body shapes that are smaller and easier arm/hand-wise. I'm quite petite.

Maybe with Michael Anthony's $3000 MSRP BB3000S reissue (called BB3000MA) the $$ value will go up. Someone sold one on eBay a while ago for $450 (I collected that data before it got bumped; now you can't find that one); someone is trying to sell one for $1,000; but I wanted more data than that. Guess I kinda have to wing it.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

gg

PS: my inquiry still stands if anyone has access to an instrument blue book and finds this bass in it, which I assume there is such a thing. :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by MartinJ:

Hi GG,

In good condition, it's worth $17.85 according to The Complete Used Bass Blue Book, 17th ed. ©2003; however, I'll (generously) offer you US$25.00 for it.

MartinJ, you should put together a book about used basses and sell it. That's pretty funny!

http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung0903/aktion/action-smiley-069.gif

Treena

Originally posted by Treena Foster:

Originally posted by MartinJ:

Hi GG,

MartinJ, you should put together a book about used basses and sell it. That's pretty funny!

http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung0903/aktion/action-smiley-069.gif

Treena

Hi Treena,

Glad I was able to provide some comedy relief for a fellow Californian.

I guess I could call it the The Complete Used Bass Blue Book for Sellers; perhaps I could fool sellers like GG into letting me purchase their basses at below-market prices.

Sounds crazy, but I'll bet Enron's money-making scheme sounded implausible at the outset.

Martin

Archived