Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Da Viper Has Been Tracked

The Bear Jew

So... you guys remember that our bassist, Butt Butt, just bought a new Viper bass? Looks great, plays great, sounds great.

Well, we decided to track with it on Monday night, since we're preparing another new set of tunes for our next album (to be released in late summer 2004).

One of the songs we tracked was our version of the MC5 classic, "Kick Out The Jams," and we wanted a really fuzzy bass tone for it. Chris split his signal between two devices -- the Bass Pod (on the "Classic" setting) and my Mesa V-Twin pedal (on the "red" channel for distortion). The combined tone was ludicrous -- huge, huge fuzz with monumental low end. It was frightening. Those stock ESP p-ups are really powerful and quiet, and the distorted sound was exceedingly dark and thick.

The other tunes didn't need all that fuzz, so Chris flipped the switch on the V-Twin pedal to the "blue" channel for way less distortion and something more like a slightly crispy overdrive.

In this mode, the Viper was equally impressive... not clanky like a P-bass, boppity like a MusicMan or slinky like a Jazz... it really had an interesting character more akin to a Thunderbird bass or something of that nature... except it had more clarity and definition than any T-bird I've ever heard.

Last night we did some guitar tracking, and I found I had to dial a little of the booty out of my guitar tone, as Chris' parts had that WELL in line already. That was a pretty cool thing.

I'll see if we can post some MP3s somewhere when we get mixes happening.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived