Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kick ass support acts.

NickT

bc's post on the Santana thread about seeing Earth, Wind and Fire got me thinking about support bands. Has anyone seen a great band supporting a name act, before they became a name themselves.

I've seen two...kinda big bands in this situation. I saw Kula Shaker opening for Reef at the Astoria and The Darkness second on the bill to The Wildhearts also at the Astoria.

I think the Kula Shaker kinda made it to the States. I don't think the Darkness have yet...but they will. They are everything that was great about rock in 1975. A bit like a slightly more serious version of Spinal Tap with better tunes, except the bass player has a cooler moustache and doesn't get stuck in a pod.

I also saw a great band called Mainstream opening for Reef at the Kilburn National, they never really made. Shame 'cos the album is great...really nice bass playing and it's mixed REAL high. :D

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some time in 2000, I saw Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals open for the Wallflowers at Roseland Ballroom in NYC. Hmmm... talk about getting blown away.

Soul Coughing opening for the Dave Matthews Band at Madison Square Garden in NYC... who could be ready to listen to "Ants Marching" after listening to something like "Zoom Zip"?

Rolling Stones the headline act in 1969. Ike and Tina Turner plus a little blues guitarist named B.B.

Stones with Prince. The Artist was booed off the stage.

Stones again with Guns and Roses.

Monkees were the headliner and a guy named Jimi Hendirx opened.

I saw Ben Folds open for Tori Amos. Love Ben, left after 6 songs from Tori (who also waited more than 45 minutes after Ben finished :mad: ).

Saw Duncan Sheik open for Ben Folds at another concert. A good pairing and good show all around.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I saw the Who open for Herman and the Hermits.

and I saw Miles Davis (Bitches Brew era) open for The Grateful Dead.

:eek:

Both of those are as bad (or worse) than Hendrix opening for the Monkees. Miles opening for the Dead?!??!

Tom,

I also saw Ben Folds and Tori here in Atlanta. Ben is one of my all-time favs! I unfortunately had to stay for Tori's entire set (read-girlfriend) I would love to see Ben headline but he always seems to open for other artists :cry:

At least he has a live album out now

18 May 1978, Van Halen supporting Black Sabbath at the late, great Glasgow Apollo Theatre . Dave and the boys blew Ozzy & Co away! 3500 Glaswegian Sabbath fans went wild and I have to tell you people, when we go wild, we go wiiiild!!
I would be apathetic but I just can't be bothered.....

My favorite opening-band experiences: Bela Fleck & the Flecktones opening for Dave Matthews Band, Me'Shell NdegéOcello opening for the same, and kickass Portland funk/jazz group Porterhouse opening for Maceo Parker. Wow. I left all of these concerts feeling like a changed man. An opening act can make it break it for me, no matter how good the main act is.
All your bass are belong to us!

I hear what your saying Groove, can't give any big names to brag on but none-the-less, took the wife to see Matchbox Twenty a couple of years ago and Lifehouse opened the ticket that was shared with Everclear. It was a pleasant surprise for the reason that a few nights before that I had seen Lifehouse on Leno and was impressed, in fact bought their disc the day of the concert without knowing they were opening. Good show from opening note of Lifehouse to Matchbox's close! Other artists I've seen that blew me away have been Charlie Daniels (that man can play!), Alabama a few times (the time Clint Black opened was cool, I was surprised by his blues renditions) and my favorite ticket of all, Kiss and Anthrax in '88.
Donnie Peterson

I lucked in on a fill-in situation with a band and we opened for Molly Hatchet. From what I heard, and the news article alluded to, was that we blew them away. For the rest of my time with them (about 4 more months), we usually got introduced at the band who blew Hatchet off the stage. I still don't quit get it, 'cause my girlfriend and I stayed for their show (hey, it was free for us), and it kicked ass!

Well, opinions are like bellybuttons I suppose.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Monkees were the headliner and a guy named Jimi Hendirx opened.

Wow, the origional cheesy, producer-created boy band. They had one catchy song, in the 'I want to beat myself over the head with a brick to make the noise stop' kind of way.

Anyways, ACDC opening for the Stones this summer in Toronto. Wrong order, in my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Thunderstruck is such a better song than Beast of Burnden.

Oh well, peace.

Mark(the guy)

It must have been 1978 or 1979 when I saw AC/DC open for Aerosmith in Spokane, WA. Angus and the boys were just taking off and Aerosmith was just about at the peak of it's drug/sex/alcohol phase -Steven Tyler could barely stand, let alone sing :freak: and the rest of the band was nearly as bad. Needless to say AC/DC absolutely KILLED them. Aerosmith was nearly booed off the stage.
Later..................

ACDC opening for the Stones this summer in Toronto. Wrong order, in my opinion
IMHO the Stones deserved that headline. Even if they don't rock as well as they used to, and I'm not sure that is the case, they have done more for rock n roll and for music in general than ACDC. Well that's what I think anyways. But much love to both bands they are amazing rockers.

Jah bless,

onelove

Originally posted by martianrebel:

Saw INXS open for

MEN AT WORK!!!

Holy cow, I saw that same concert at the Mann Music Center in Philadelphia! I hadn't heard of INXS at that point and I thought they did a much better show than Men At Work.

--------------------

Dave O.

It must have been 1978 or 1979 when I saw AC/DC open for Aerosmith
I saw them on the same tour. It was the very first rock concert I ever went to. If I remember correctly, Frank Marino and Mohogany Rush was also supposed to play but had to cancel because he injured his hand and couldn't play. I remember thinking "AC who?" and you are right Aerosmith sucked.

I am a fan of Frank Marino and got to see him open for Nazereth one year and Triumph another. The show with Triumph was fantastic! Both bands were "in the zone" that night and put on an incredible show.

A couple of other opening bands I though were real good;

Saga

Loverboy

Nightranger

Iron Maiden

Molly Hatchet

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived