Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gettin' funky w/ Herbie and the boyz

_Sweet Willie_

Thanks to many of you (in particular Jeremy C. for the final "push") I am now the proud owner of two mightily groovalicious CDs: Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters and Thrust. I have listened to both CDs straight thru...and I can't stop listening to them, nor can I stop my head from bobbing to the beat ("breakin' my neck" for y'all hip to the term).

The overwhelmingly funky and smooth Paul Jackson lays down the outrageouly tasty bass parts on these albums. We're talking about classic cuts on Head Hunters like "Chameleon" (which goes from greatly funky to outrageously funky about halfway thru) and "Watermelon Man." The tracks on Thrust are even funkier -- which I'm attributing to the addition of Mike Clark on drums (not to take anything away, though, from the fine drumming of Harvey Mason on Head Hunters). The opening drum figure on "Palm Grease" (track 1 on Thrust) made me reach for my bass to get my groove on...before I realized it wasn't at work with me. ;) Then Paul Jackson came in and got his groove on, and a feeling of unworthiness washed over me listening to him and Mike C. lock up a groove so friggin' tight it would make a Sadowsky neck joint look like sloppy work!

If you're not familiar with these CDs, you should consider it required daily listening for the next fortnight, preferably with one or more of your drummers in tow.

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couldn't agree more. Dismayingly, a lot of snoots look down on Thrust (for example the Ken Burns "Jazz" writers/artistic consultant & other self-appointed "purist" types, who like to insinuate that the whole "fusion" thing amounted to jazzers looking to pick up bigger paychecks at the expensive of art - a lie, in cases such as this). Admittedly, Herbie had some frankly annoying pop-funk moments on several of the following albums, but c'mon, how could anyone actually listen to Thrust (OR Headhunters) and not recognize that these guys were completely at the top of their game?

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

I am now the proud owner of two mightily groovalicious CDs: Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters and Thrust.

'Bout time! ;) Your Quintessential Herbie Funk Trilogy isn't complete without "Manchild," though. Stevie Wonder and Blackbird McKnight (of P-Funk fame) make some tasty contributions.

Did anyone catch the Headhunters at Jazz Alley in Seattle in August? They played there for a whole week, but I unfortunately couldn't make it because that was the week I was buying/moving-in-to my new house. :( They don't play with Herbie anymore except maybe occasionally having him as a guest, but they're still scary funky. They have a new album out, but I haven't heard it yet. I have "The Return of the Headhunters" (from around '98) and it's quite a bit different from their 70's stuff (a lot of jazz vocals), but there's a few songs on it that are quite funkalicious. I dig.

All your bass are belong to us!

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

If you're not familiar with these CDs, you should consider it required daily listening for the next fortnight, preferably with one or more of your drummers in tow.

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

Thanks for giving me the insperation to get these cd's out and listen to them again! Great music for a morning with a little to much coffee on board. :freak:

Those are wicked albums. Those dudes keep such a funky groove going, and the bass/drums are tight tight tight. Wow! That beer bottle riff from Headhunters is insane! That psycho bass riff from Spank-a-lee, where at the end it goes D-Eb-E-E (low E ringing out while he starts over again) is just sick.

Did you know Blackbird McKnight also played with the Chili Peppers (only for like 5 mins after John left after BSSM)? I think he plays for Macy Gray now.

Originally posted by P-berger:

Did you know Blackbird McKnight also played with the Chili Peppers (only for like 5 mins after John left after BSSM)? I think he plays for Macy Gray now.

I knew he played with the Chili's, but I didn't know about him playing with Macy. I've seen him 3 times with the P-Funk All-Stars. He wears nothing but a big ol' stanky diaper.
All your bass are belong to us!

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I dare you to cop every note Paul Jackson plays on "Actual Proof". I dare you!!!

Funny, I'm listening to that track right now. It's totally kick-ass. Mike Clark's liner notes for my digitally remastered reissue CD indicate that they nailed that track in one take! :eek: Are you scared?!

By the way, is that a simple dare or a double-dog dare? :D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived