Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEED BASS HELP PLEASE!!?

mulletsavant

Hi all, I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, just taught myself chords and covers. I just recently took up bass (got my bass 2 days ago)..Anyway I love it already..but I keep getting this nasty rattle on the first few fret notes on the thick E string, no matter how hard I hold it down (F, F#, and G especially)Is there some kind of bridge or string adjustment that I can do to help this????...or do you just have to hold it down like crazy?? All of my other fret and string played areas sound fine.....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Mulletsavant and welcome to the Lowdown!

Yes playing bass requires finger strength and accuracy. However, you shouldn't need a vise-like grip and in fact too much pressure will slow you down and tire you out.

You don't give us much info about your bass, but I would suggest that you take it to a luthier/repairman and have a proper setup done. Try to get the action as low as possible without buzzing and then evaluate your right hand attack, are you really digging in to the strings? If you play pickstyle are you hammering them? this can contribute to the problem. If you are and do not wish to work on a lighter attack then you will have to have your action set higher.

Please let us know more and we will be better able to help. :thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Right, this could be due to a number of things: the action is too low (strings set too close to fingerboard), &/or the string gauge is too large relative to the action setting; you're strumming too hard; the neck does not have enough relief (when the neck is too convex--bowing out towards the strings--you'll tend to get buzzes down towards the headstock end; too concave will yield buzzess at the other end); there is a high fret somewhere; the neck is damaged (twisted, warped); and perhaps other possibilities. It's probably not terribly serious, & is probably not a matter of fretting too lightly. If I had to guess based on what you've said, esp. the fact that it only happens towards one end of the neck, I'd say you've either got a high fret end, or too convex a neck (truss rod) setting. Don't hold me to that.

If you've got the basic tech skills to check these sorts of problems (and if you do a search, you'll find all kinds of info on setup, etc.), try that; otherwise, get thee to a tech. Fret issues & truss rod issues should be left to a pro unless you really know what you're doing.

I keep getting this nasty rattle on the first few fret notes on the thick E string, no matter how hard I hold it down (F, F#, and G especially)Is there some kind of bridge or string adjustment that I can do to help this????...or do you just have to hold it down like crazy?? All of my other fret and string played areas sound fine.....
A good tech can evaluate your setup and playing style and get to the root of the problem and help with a solution

:thu:

Thanks guys! I messed w/ the action last night and that made a bit of difference. So action to close to the fretboard...or action to high on the fretboard are both bad?? somewhere in between is good? The guitar is fairly cheap, but it is brand new, and it is only rattling on the E string towards the top.....

It sounds like your frets could be a little uneven but one thing that could be affecting your E string is where your plucking from on the bass. It doesn't seem so critical when playing guitar but it make a huge difference to tone on Bass, try playing just in front of or over the bridge pick up if your bass has one. this should help make your bass a little less buzzy sounding at the bottom of the neck.

best of luck.

First thing I thought of is: "are you playing just behind the fret, or exactly in between them?"

Your finger should almost touch the fret, where you are holding it down. If you are playing in the middle, (or even closer to the nut than that) you can get rattles.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived