Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rush songs for .... beginners

agoring

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:eek:

My first response was, There are Rush songs for beginners? :D

I once found a spiral-bound book (in a 2nd-hand book shop, sorry) of Rush transcriptions for bass, covering some of the major Rush hits. It's a great place to begin. You might check to see if you can find that (sort of) book in print.

This book might also be helpful (I've not used it):

Rush bass book

Most of Mr. Lee's parts aren't terribl technically complex and are often in rather loose time (not to be confused with off the beat, however). Tom Sawyer is always a great place to start but the interlude will tax your dexterity. If fact, that interlude is how I gauge my left-handed "nimbleness." Red Barchetta, a personal favorite of mine, is pretty simple, although it will take you across the top half of your neck. The Rush book is a great reference; it's what I use.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Pretty much everything from the first 4 albums. Geddy was still honing his personal style and and I feel that 2112 it where it first completely came together for him, though others may say Caress of Steel. However, I would contend that these albums would comprise the "easiest" Rush songs to learn.

Now, have you considered learning some Yes tunes? :eek:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

One of the reasons I got into playing bass was that I had just bought Rush "Chronicles"; the two disc 'best of'. I absolutely loved what Geddy was doing and thought, "yeah, I want to do that!"

I sat down with Chronicles and promptly learned everything on it. Some of the songs I found music for in various places (and tAbZ... ugh..). The rest of the songs I just worked out by ear.

I say go for it, man. Just start with the songs that you like and work them up to speed.

Bastille Day off of Caress of Steel is the first one I learned. Bytor and The Snow dog is outrageous fun! :thu:

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

dcr: "My first response was, There are Rush songs for beginners?"

Exactly what I was thinking. But: like others said, you gotta have fun if you're gonna work at it.

I'll probably work on tabs for now, as I don't have cash to lay down for books.... too bad.

I tried Freewill today, it's a good one. I think I may take a look at the Moving Pictures songs mentioned... although that would be after the first four. Damn!!!

How does Geddy play? with taps? is this the stlye to aspire to? I think that's Claypool's technique, too, no?

Thankx for the help

dcr: "My first response was, There are Rush songs for beginners?"

Exactly what I was thinking. But: like others said, you gotta have fun if you're gonna work at it.

I'll probably work on tabs for now, as I don't have cash to lay down for books.... too bad.

I tried Freewill today, it's a good one. I think I may take a look at the Moving Pictures songs mentioned... although that would be after the first four. Damn!!!

How does Geddy play? with taps? is this the stlye to aspire to? I think that's Claypool's technique, too, no?

Thankx for the help

To the best of my knowledge, Geddy plays in basic fingerstyle. Although, from footage I've seen, it seems that he keeps his fingers on his right hand pretty straight, and almost hits the strings with them. (I worked at that for a while after seeing him do it, & could get the sound pretty well.) But I'm no expert.

The first one I learned was 'Limelight'. It has a few tricky parts, though. My advice? Just pick one and stick with it until you have it down cold. Then move on to another that interests you. But the most important thing is not to get discouraged. Just keep at it. The more you play, the more comfortable you'll be, and the easier it gets. Good Luck!! :thu:
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Geddy plays fingerstyle with two fingers.

I believe that he has a weird superstrength fingernail on one of his fingers and the nail helps give him that bright sound. I think I read that somewhere, probably in Bass Player.

But on the other hand, I only believe half of what I read and none of what I see. :D

I remember an interview with Geddy about the super finger nail. I don't remember the details though.

Rush songs I've learned but never played them with anyone else?

Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, New World Man, and Closer to the Heart.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Easiest Rush songs to learn on bass? From a purely "learn the notes" perspective, I'd say "Tears" from 2112, "Road to Bangkok" from A Farewell to Kings and "Entre Nous" on Permanent Waves.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Geddy plays fingerstyle with two fingers.

I believe that he has a weird superstrength fingernail on one of his fingers and the nail helps give him that bright sound. I think I read that somewhere, probably in Bass Player.

But on the other hand, I only believe half of what I read and none of what I see. :D

Yeppers.

He uses the 'super fingernail' finger when he plays fast 16th note stuff too. He moves it back and forth, hitting the string on the up stroke and down stroke. The last time I saw them live, they had big-ass video screens on both sides of the stage and the camera man gave the crowd a nice up-close shot of him doing this very technique. Pretty cool.

I was going to say "Working Man"...

I think the first Rush song I ever learned was "What You're Doing" off of the first album, and it's a great lesson in hammer-ons (if you play the open strings) or moving up the neck (if you just play the E and the A).

Either way, the first Rush album is a great place to start because it's gone fun, straight ahead, blues-based rock basslines.

It's also what I used to teach myself how to play bass (after taking 6 months of classical guitar lessons and trying to learn Pink Floyd solos). I still go back to Rush albums when I just want to practice and be inspired to write...

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Archived