Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ashdown Now...

ernieD

Well I spoke of buying my new SWR 750x last Thursday. This past Friday nite 3rd song, 2nd set, it just stops on me. My brand new amp just stopped cold. Before that I could not seem to get any bottom or volume out of it. I was getting a signal per the LED' s but no sound. The fuse was good, all cables were new, etc. so I had to run home and grab my old Peavey to finish the nite out. Next morning back at the store turns out a 2nd "Speaker fuse" had blown. But why? I told the guy at the store that I did not want that same amp back, but he had no others in stock. So he says why not try out this new ASHDOWN ABM amp, he said he would have recommended it in the first place for the same money but I came in asking for SWR. Still not clear on why that fuse blew in the SWR but it left me very disappointed. So I hope this Ashdown is a good deal, it sounds great at home but will see this Friday at the gig. Not really familiar with this brand but the store dude says he thinks I will love it over the SWR since it is very dependable and has a lot of bottom end. It is the rack mount EVO 500. Is there a website where I might read up on this amp to get to know it better, get some testimonials, feedback, just in case I decide to keep it? :confused:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got no experience with them but I've heard the name bandied about more than a few times in this forum, generally saying good things. Bummer that your SWR died, especially in the middle of the gig, but hopefully you'll be pleased with the Ashdown.

I am waiting for my brand new Ashdown ABM 500 and I am sure I'm gonna be satisfied with this. And if you have been playing Peavey and going to take the (big :eek: ) step up to SWR, Eden, EBS, Ashdown etc., etc. I'm sure you are gonna be satisfied as well with your Ashdown ABM 500.

Let us here your opinion after your gig on friday, and sure, you're gonna hear mine after I've gig'ed my new amp.

Sites to visit: www.ashdownmusic.co.uk and for some reviews: www.harmony-central.com/bass/bassman

see you...

Helge :wave:

Hey thanks for the positive feed HL. Actually, I am moving up from the GK1001rb to this Ashdown. The GK would have been my backup amp that nite but it is in the shop again for the second time for the same mystery shut down problem. Maybe the SWR just had a bad fuse but even before it shut down I was not liking the lack of bottom I was hearing. I tried the Ashdown at the store then at home thru my SWR 1x15 SOB and 4x10 Goliath III. It sounds like I'm gonna like it alot once I can really open it up at a gig with both cabs. I sense some serious booty in there. I'll report after the next gig how glad :thu: or sad :( I am.

Originally posted by ernieD:

The GK would have been my backup amp that nite but it is in the shop again for the second time for the same mystery shut down problem.

Actually, if you've had two separate heads do the same thing (a GK and a SWR), you probably have a problem with your speaker-cabinets. Fuses usually blow for a reason; make sure you don't have a short or other wiring problem with your cabinets, or you might blow that Ashdown as well.

I agree with getz76, you should absolutely get your speakers (and cables!) looked over by a pro.!

They use their ohm-meter (or whatever...) and are able to say in no time if there is something wrong!

You should really consider this! :thu:

Helge

Hey 76 I was thinking the same thing but why does it not happen to the Peavey. Two or three times with the GK then this time with the SWR. Each time I had to finish the nite with the Peavey and it gave me no problems. I guess it would not hurt to check my two cabs out just the same. Ya reckon? :freak:

Originally posted by ernieD:

Hey 76 I was thinking the same thing but why does it not happen to the Peavey.

There is a reason you see Peavey's in a lot of rehearsal spaces and as the backlines at some clubs; they're bullet-proof. Less sensitive, in general, to faults, and they can take a lot of abuse and keep on rocking.

Well I tried out the new Ashdown ABM 500 this past Friday nite and it made it thru the entire nite without a problem, thank goodness. It sounded pretty good to me, alot of bottom which some in the crowd said they could feel it in their gut. The MusiciansFriend website shows that out of 5 persons rating it, this amp was given straight 10's by all, though I don't know how reliable that ratings system is. BTW, I did get my cabs checked out and they were both OK. I am just a little concerned of the reliabilty of this amp, what with not knowing the brand too well. I have a couple weeks to decide if I want to keep it or try something else. :confused: I thought it might be a bit pricey ($1200.00) which is what I paid for the SWR 750x, w/a flight case, that crapped out. The guy threw a similar case in with the Ashdown too as I made an even swap. He did have it listed at $100.00 higher than the SWR, evn though it is less power. Should I go ask him for some store credit if I keep this amp? I've read good things about this amp, maybe I'll keep it. Bottom Line:I really liked the sound, after only one gig and the easy to use layout. Just hope it holds up.

Glad to hear the amp worked for you. It's a plus that the audience gave it the thumbs-up for gettin' 'em in the gut. :thu::)

I've only played these amps in stores, but have been happy every time. I think the sub-harmoniser is a nice feature, and can really be a lot of fun.

Less power...sure, but 575W RMS into 4 ohms is still a lot of juice, and the SWR is rated at 750W, which means that the real difference in loudness in terms of dB between the two won't really be that great.

Keep working it out so that your final decision to keep or return is as well-informed by your ears as possible. It's great you were able to give it a gig test!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Well, I wouldn't be too worried about the Ashdown. It comes from good stock. The guys behind Ashdown are the same ones from Trace Elliot. When they sold Trace to Gibson, they started up Ashdown. I'm actually considering switching from my Redhead to Ashdown and grab another Avatar cabinet.

Thanks guys for the positive responses here. I did read awhile back where Mark Gooday was starting a new line out. I know with electronics things can always go wrong but I've waited awhile to buy a new amp and when you drop 12 bills like that you hope you are making the best choice. I did shop around at other stores for the best price but I liked the attention and responses to my questions that I was getting from Tom at Rockin Robin Guitars in Houston. Other "kids" at other stores just seemed to be trying to rush me to buy what they liked. And again in the past I bought my SWR cabs and EBMM 5 after trying other things for 2 and 3 hours at these stores. Each time I went with what sounded good to my ears. So research and all aside that is how I continue to shop. I see here that Helge Lund in Norway is waiting for delivery of his ABM 500, maybe he can send some feedback once he gets his rig together. ( I still think I will go hit Tom up for a gig bag at least ;) ) Thanks again for the reassurance. "Bass Players Rock The Best". :thu:

I've spent many an hour in Rockin Robin. Great place, but I've never bought anything from there. How's the tracking on the Subharmoniser and can you use the overdrive and subharmoniser at the same time? I still haven't gotten to play around with one for very long. Also, what band are you in? The name "Ernie D" sounds very familiar.

ErnieD, yo man, you have your profile set to not accept private messages!

So I'll answer your questions here:

First, don't sweat sending me a personal message, ain't no thang. Always happy to provide help/input on stuff.

Second, Ashdown stuff rocks. They sound great, they are well constructed, and I have yet to have a single problem with mine. One of the clubs in this area has the very head you now have as part of their house bass rig. I know the owner of the club, who is also a bass player, and he swears by that thing. It gets used 3-4 hours, 5 nights a week, and he's never had a problem with it.

The guys at Bass Northwest are also big fans of Ashdown amps. Last time I checked, all of them were using Ashdown products of some sort in their current rigs (either preamp or amp). I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement. :thu:

Fo sho'. The other Ashdown resident (me) also swears by them. Although Mr. City has the "John Entwistle" RPM-1 instead of my generic RPM-1, we still have the best preamp that our money can buy. Who is this Entwistle guy any way?
Ah, nice marmot.

Whew!!! :freak: that has played bass since high school stage band, i.e. Duke Ellington and that lot. Don't think I have gone without being in a working band, country-tejano-rock, for more than a few months in all those years. I helped a throw together band a couple weeks ago and we did stuff like 70's funk and 60's R&B, very fun. But I digress, thanks again and I will keep my eyes on LDL for all the helpful threads. Us old dogs do still learn from you young cats tricks. ;) Later.

Archived