Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1989 J bass...how much?

NickT

I spotted a 1989 Japanese J bass in a local shop. The neck doesn't seem to have any dead spots and the pickups sound good. Frets look to be in decent condition.

The body has acquired a dent on the front surface, there are a couple of small dents in the finger board, one each under the D and G strings that look and the top of the headstock has developed some "character". All of these dings seem to be cosmetic. It will need a set up and some new strings.

The seller will go no lower than £379 (about US$630) do you guys think this is a fair price for this bass? It sounds good and seems to play well. What would you pay for it?

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, 1989 and made in Japan doesn't really qualify it as vintage, and here in the USA, I can buy a brand new w/ no defects, made-in-Japan Geddy Lee Fender Jass bass for $630. ( example here )

Thus the $630 he's asking for a 1989 MIJ jazz (w/ what sounds like quite a bit of non-serious cosmetic damage) sounds high to me.

Others may disagree, and I don't know enough about differences in prices in the UK vs. the USA to know how reasonable my comparison is.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Considering that at the moment you could probably fly round trip from London to New York City for less than $400 and buy the bass used in New York for maybe $300, it doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

And you can buy a brand new one from a mail-order place like musiciansfriend.com for $629.99 like Willie said, it also doesn't look like a good deal.

Unless the pound has sunk to new low levels, which is good news for me for my upcoming trip to London.

Thanks for the advice guys. In the end I have decided not to buy the bass and throw some cash at some new pick ups for my Squire Jazz.

DiMarzio Ultra Js in T minus 2 days.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Archived