Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opinions on a few of my band's tracks, anyone?

hags2k

I thought I'd follow the lead of a few others here, most recently being CupMcMali, and ask for some opinions on a couple tracks.

Here are three songs my band and I recorded this last summer. From a purely qualitative standpoint, I think they're pretty decent sounding for what amounted to glorified garage recordings. (cheap mics, cheap equipment, and a digital mixer). I'm really looking forward to working with a real professional next summer, but until then, these kinds of recordings will have to suffice.

Insomnia: http://homepage.mac.com/hags/heroes/Music/sample-insomnia.mp3

If Only: http://homepage.mac.com/hags/heroes/Music/sample-ifonly.mp3

Neverending Love Story (cheesiest title ever...): http://homepage.mac.com/hags/heroes/Music/sample-neverendinglove.mp3

Any comments (or questions or criticisms) are appreciated. I worked on bass (obviously), melody, and I write most lyrics, if anyone is curious. Our lead guitarist composed the melody and lyrics for the last one, and our lead singer worked out the vocals with him.

Thanks for your time!

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gave the tracks a good listen, they're a, bit rough around the edges but that's quite normal for such garage recordings, a good song works no matter what the sound quality is. The songs are quite nice, there's enough stuff going on to keep me interested, but not too much to make things too confusing. "If Only" sounded quite a lot like Placebo, and that's a good thing in my book! :thu:

I think I'll return the favor of posting one's work and offer a link to my band's mp3-collection. If you only want to listen to one song, I recommend this one .

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Originally posted by Pernax:

I gave the tracks a good listen, they're a, bit rough around the edges but that's quite normal for such garage recordings, a good song works no matter what the sound quality is. The songs are quite nice, there's enough stuff going on to keep me interested, but not too much to make things too confusing. "If Only" sounded quite a lot like Placebo, and that's a good thing in my book! :thu:

I think I'll return the favor of posting one's work and offer a link to my band's mp3-collection. If you only want to listen to one song, I recommend this one .

Thanks for the kind words. Our goal has always been to have a sound with some measure of simplicity, but hopefully solid and not too repetitive. Something that we ouselves would enjoy listenting to, at least.

I'm listening to one of your mp3s right now. The one you suggested is quite good. It grabbed me right away, with a cool sound and very cool melody. It's what nu-metal should be, if you'll pardon my labeling. It's an interesting blend of styles and sounds. I hear classic rock, heavy metal, and alternative styles all rolled together, for good effect. That's my first impression, anyway.

I'm sorry I gave up trying to connect to your mp3s since they are not connectable.

Anyway, few days ago I managed to get a listen to part of your insomnia and stopped halfway since it sounded like that famous casablanca tune. I am not a fan of that progression since in Singapore, if there'd be a wedding ceremony at a public housing blocks' ground floor decks, (mostly celebrated by Malays), you would hear teens to uncles and aunties (who have been singing out of tune in the toilets) coming forward and yapping on to mics to karaoke tracks of which 99.99% are casablanca tunes. It'd go from 9 a.m to 5.p.m through speakers blasting the whole neighbourhood.

Usually I get out of the house and come late in the night to avoid this harassment.

I wish I could hear your other songs to give ya a comment.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Bartolini:

I'm sorry I gave up trying to connect to your mp3s since they are not connectable.

Anyway, few days ago I managed to get a listen to part of your insomnia and stopped halfway since it sounded like that famous casablanca tune. I am not a fan of that progression since in Singapore, if there'd be a wedding ceremony at a public housing blocks' ground floor decks, (mostly celebrated by Malays), you would hear teens to uncles and aunties (who have been singing out of tune in the toilets) coming forward and yapping on to mics to karaoke tracks of which 99.99% are casablanca tunes. It'd go from 9 a.m to 5.p.m through speakers blasting the whole neighbourhood.

Usually I get out of the house and come late in the night to avoid this harassment.

I wish I could hear your other songs to give ya a comment.

Cheers!

Thanks so much for alerting me to that. I took care of the problem, and everything should be up again within a few hours or so.

I don't like Insomnia too much, but that's because it's not my cup of tea. I think the beginning riff is a bit sloppy. I like the singer alright. Reminds me a bit of "Mama I'm Coming Home." I do however, like that guitar riff that's kinda pretty heavy, and the solo is top notch.

Maybe I'll get the others a listen later.

In Skynyrd We Trust

Hags2k, I listened to all 3 tracks. "Insomnia" is definitely not my cup of tea. I found the singers voice to be off putting, he always seemed to be at the top of his range. Maybe playing in a different scale may help.

"If only" was a much better song. The bass (in all the songs) served the songs well. My main criticism of "If Only" is the guitar solo that comes in around 2.56, I'm aware that recording methods didn't help, but his tone needs looked into.

The third song, the one with the "cheesiest title ever" was IMO the best track by far I listened to it twice, quite Extreme (the band). Nice relaxing opening riff, a lot of atmosphere. Once again the bass served the song. You play a MusicMan right? Good tone.

If I was to rename the third track I'd go for "Where You Going?".

Hope this helps.

Cup

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

Hags2k, I listened to all 3 tracks. "Insomnia" is definitely not my cup of tea. I found the singers voice to be off putting, he always seemed to be at the top of his range. Maybe playing in a different scale may help.

"If only" was a much better song. The bass (in all the songs) served the songs well. My main criticism of "If Only" is the guitar solo that comes in around 2.56, I'm aware that recording methods didn't help, but his tone needs looked into.

The third song, the one with the "cheesiest title ever" was IMO the best track by far I listened to it twice, quite Extreme (the band). Nice relaxing opening riff, a lot of atmosphere. Once again the bass served the song. You play a MusicMan right? Good tone.

If I was to rename the third track I'd go for "Where You Going?".

Hope this helps.

Cup

Thanks for the kind words and honest opinions. I found your comments VERY interesting, and those are exactly the kinds of new perspectives that I'm looking for.

Our singer does have a unique voice, and I don't think it helps that he was fighting allergies when we recorded, but we're encouraging him to do more vocal arranging like he did on the last track. Vocally it's the best thing we have, I think, and it is one of our favorite songs to listen to and sing along to when we're not performing.

Thank you for the encouraging words about the bass work. I actually think we mixed the bass in a little too loud in the last track, but the rest of my band (for once) was all about cranking it up. I still think it's a little loud, but it's nice to be appreciated. I like your idea for the title. The only reason we haven't changed the title is that we haven't bothered to.

Oh, and on most recordings and live shows I play my modified P-Bass, with a Basslines active pickup (passive tone control), in case you're curious. I WISH I had a Music Man, though, but I like the tone and I think it works for our stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, just in case anyone is interested, here are a couple more garage-fun tracks for you:

Forever and a Day: This is one of my favorites, simple acoustic riff and a good melody, i think. http://homepage.mac.com/hags/heroes/Music/Forever%20And%20A%20Day.mp3

Lost: This one doesn't sound so great tonally, but the song has a fairly 50's old school flavor (at least that's what we were going for) http://homepage.mac.com/hags/heroes/Music/Lost.mp3

Archived