Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i want to change my 5 strings bass with a 6 strings one...

Sergiao

hi guys, what you think about 6 strings bass?

i'm not a great player, i'm studying with a great teacher, but i'm not a very good musician yet...

(sorry for my terrible english)

my question is:

6 strings bass, are only for expert bass player or i can start now from average level?

:wave:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sergiao, Welcome to the Lowdown!

You will get many different opinions on this subject. I would ask, What does your teacher say? He should be far more familiar with your skills than we are, and should be the person you should seek advice from.

However, I see no reason you could not / should not learn 6-string.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally, I wanted a six myself, but am quite happy with my 5 string. Personally, apart from missing five extra notes, I'm fine with it. This should depend on what kind of music you play.

If you want to build up to doing really technical things, like doing chordal intervals, or tapping out Chapman Stick type lines, then perhaps a 6 string might be in order. However, I can do much of that with my 5, and have no trouble doing so.

If you only need the extra low end, stick with the five. Also, if your hands are too small to begin with, a six will complicate things. I can handle a six if I hold it correctly, though my hands are rather small (average Asian size), so at least with a five for now, I can build up my hands and be ready for when I can get a six.

While you can start out from an average level, if I were you, I'd wait until I gain the skills (and perhaps the money) necessary to handle a six string.

By the way, the little picture on the left is me playing around with my five string Yamaha RBX765A bass. :)

Welcome to the forums.

Ask your teacher what he (she?) thinks, and ask for his (her?) opinion about how you might benefit from a 6- versus a 5-string.

Consider what 6-strings will give you that 5-strings won't. Taz has already suggested some things -- for example, the opportunity to voice chords differently and an expanded range for tapping.

Being an "average" player should not keep you from moving to a 6-string bass. If your plan is to try to do things musically that will benefit from having 6-strings, go for it.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'd like to get a 5er and slap a set of tenor strings on it. I really like the sound you get from that high C string, especially with harmonies and chords (the former of which I've been really into lately). 6 strings have their place, too...most of my favorite bands' bassists play 6ers, but my hands (like Taz's) are small (even though I'm a whitey...I'm kinda short). Anywho, I've played various 6stringers and I really like the sound, I just can't wrastle that gator's neck, y'know?
Well, I see greenboy is back, so why the heck not....

Here is the opinion I give everytime on this question (similar to Sweet Willie's ultimate point)...

I you WANT to play a 6-string, don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't. It's not some kind of "advanced" instrument that requires years of experience with a 4-string first. I think a decent analogy is if you played sax...you should play tenor or alto as your preference dictates.

Granted, there are differences between different basses with different numbers of strings...that's the whole point, is it not? But it's more strings vs. less, trade-offs like more range vs. less spacing, etc. It's not a matter of beginner vs. advanced.

Make sure you know why you want a six string. If you just want that C string because it sounds and looks cool, not because you needed to fill up the space on a guitar-less gig...well, stay with your 5 for awhile.

I advise caution because you said "I'm not a very good musician yet". Spend some more time with your current instrument before you start thinking about adding strings. A few years of dedicated practice and experience will allow you to make a more informed decision on how many strings your instrument should have.

Many players here will say "Play what you want, nobody should tell a bassist how many strings his instrument should have." That's true, but everyone should tell a bassist if he's playing a triple-high C when he should be playing a C on the A string instead.

But I would advise you not to keep changing instruments if you haven't figured out what you like/don't like about your current instrument outside of "6 is more than 5, so it must be better, right?"

I stayed with my awful-sounding '78 Fender Precision all the way through my early years of playing. The thing sounded like a giant pile of mud (it was not a good P-Bass, period), and no amount of technique or sonic tweaking would save it. But I stuck with it until I was at a point in my playing that I clearly could see how it was holding me back. After buying my Stingray, I sold it.

BenLoy's got some good points, too. How's about a C on the G string, eh? Everyone knows those are the shiz', right?

I just like being able to manipulate the sound as much as you can with a C string added. So many more chordal opportunities arise with that... :cool:

Well, I see greenboy is back, so why the heck not....

Archived