Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What will the role of bass be in 200 years?

Dm711

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bass hasn't changed roles in 300 years. When I listen to a Baroque concerto or a classical symphony, I hear the bass playing the same musical role that it plays today. Why should it change over the next 200.

Bass DESIGN will probably change quite a bit. New, resonant materials, possibly humidity resistant, lighter, etc. Amp design, too. Bigger sound from smaller amps.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

In 200 years, Modulus will unveil it's The Cheat bass, with bunny and Swingline stapler attachments:

http://www.briantimpe.com/downloads/bunnybass.jpg

Correct answer! Thread over. Next thread please.
Ah, nice marmot.

I agree with Dan.

Actually, the role of the bass is probably even older than 300 years...certainly in choral music. And even if you go back millenia you'll find recognizable traits....(if we actually knew what those written things sounded like!)

However, I'll wager that "performing" on instruments will be in the same category as "wheelwright-ing" is these days. Kind of quaint. Music will be created and performed electronically, except for singing.

Actually, the rate of change in society over the past 50 years has been so rapid that it is difficult to gauge anything about the future.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

In 200 years, Modulus will unveil it's The Cheat bass, with bunny and Swingline stapler attachments:

http://www.briantimpe.com/downloads/bunnybass.jpg

:D Will they also release the Strongbad limited addition, with tire and stop-sign attachments?

I foresee that great buildings will be built to house large numbers of people who will come to hear performances. These these halls will be occupied by a single keyboard instrument, played by skilled musicians. Designed to generate sounds like many individual instruments, tones will eminate from metalic and/or wooden chambers. Bass notes will be produced in long tubes, perhaps 32 or 64 feet long. Bass will fill the air, it will shake the walls, the earth will hum...

HMMMMMMMMMM

It will be Seismic.

- Matt W.

I'm laughin' my @ss off! That bunny has a damn angel food cake on his head!

I mean, it's a cake. An angel food cake. And it's on a freakin' bunny!

I'm actually not being sarcastic. That is unspeakably funny. God, I wish I knew why! :D:freak:

Originally posted by dcr:

I'm laughin' my @ss off! That bunny has a damn angel food cake on his head!

I mean, it's a cake. An angel food cake. And it's on a freakin' bunny!

I'm actually not being sarcastic. That is unspeakably funny. God, I wish I knew why! :D:freak:

You and me both, brother, you and me both. I laughed at the picture of the bunny with the pancake on it's head for a good hour. No kidding. For some stupid reason, that stuff is just hysterical. :D I love it. Glad to share the comedy with you and the other fine peoples.

That's what happened to me with the "dog balls" picture (from the Onion, btw); I laughed uncontrollably, & later when I tried to tell my wife about it, I could barely speak.

The pancake was funny. The loaf of bread was funny. But for some reason the angel food cake just knocked me on my can.

Go figure.

In 200 years, everyone will be enormously fat. Food portions will make today's "Super Size It" menu options look laughable. Music will of course be made on computers (including "videos" with computer generated musicians, with each virtual "musician"'s appearance tailored to appeal to the fantasies of each individual listener). Some basses will be used as controllers in computer generated 3-D fantasy jam rooms. The remaining basses will be used as pizzaflippers for the gi-normous "Personal Pan Pizzas" of the early 23rd Century.

Originally posted by Daddygreenjeans:

dmt seems most accurate to me...Music in general in 200years like mainstream music will be complete shit...Mainly due to MTV.

It'll probably be just like in 1984 with computers generating music with the touch of a button, as will books and everything else.

Just as World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones, as Einstein famously said, bass will be generated with hollow logs in 200 years unless things really change...

And yeah, some of them will probably be 64' long.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Interesting Topic,

Someone in another thread (sorry,I can't remember who)stated that Bass is a concept not an instrument. Bass has been/is/ will be produced on all types of instruments. Many bass instruments are still in use (URB,tuba,digerido(?)etc.) even after being superceeded by newer, supposedly 'superior', bass producing instruments.

As to the electric bass, So many players lament the encroachment of synths and detuned guitars and other invasions into our sonic domain as the harbringers of doom for our instrument and ourselves as musicians. To those folks, I would remind you that the Electric bass is only approx. 50 years old and that we have only scratched the surface of its potential.

In just the 25 years in which I have been playing there has been a monumental evolution in the concept of the bass' role in almost every genere of music.

There have been many pioneers of our instrument. They have opened our minds to new techniques and applications. As a result, the average player has benefited and the expectations of us of ourselevs as well as other musicians' expectations of us have greatly increased. The bar has been raised.

Many doomsayers have pointed to the invention of multi-stringed and extended ranged basses as our need to compete with synths in order to avoid extinction. I vehemently disagree! I believe that these are the natural inclinations of the exploritive and creative mind. I believe that a true musician desires to play to the best of their ability and that quest leads some of us to push beyond the normal perameters of our instrument.This is a good thing!

Furthermore, the application of technology has allowed us to open the door to a whole new realm of possibilities.These range from the 'mundane' such as graphite/synthetic componets to the cutting edge such as MIDI controlled effects which can be triggered from our basses allowing us a palette of sounds never before available or imaginable!

I think that the most fundamental change is that those who come after us will think first and foremost in terms of musicality rather than instrumentation. They will not have so many preconcieved notions as to the "proper role" of any instrument, but instead use whatever instrument/sound is necessary to complete their musicial vision.

Because of all these things, I am confident that no matter what direction music takes, there will always be BASS, both as a concept and as an instrument(S).

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

Just as World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones, as Einstein famously said, bass will be generated with hollow logs in 200 years unless things really change...

And yeah, some of them will probably be 64' long.

And does that mean that people will have 6foot long arms to reach accross the fret board?

As for the bass guitar, who know?s

There are a lot of instruments from 200 years ago that no one plays anymore.

And the electric bass is only 50 years old, the electric guitar about 75, the trap drum set as we know it today, about 75, saxophone about 100, electric keyboards about 30 (organs a little more), playable synths about 25, computers about 25, etc.

But there will still be bass, there has always been bass.

My prediction is that it will be louder and lower.

Regardless of how music evolves, there will always be a bottom end to it, because i doubt everybody will become attached to only accoustic guitar stuff. And as music evolves, somebody will always find a way fo rthe bass to play through within that role and sole it will continue to play a vital role.
We distort. You abide.

:

evil: i think that music will all be piped in through your head via micro technology.there will be little microscopic computer generated musicians that play what ever you mind can hear .this will all be shared using brain downloads that are very expensive.untill some jerk finds a way to steal the downloads and give them out for free funding himself on advertisement money.

i grew up watching TV and i turned out TV

Originally posted by jeremyc:

...There are a lot of instruments from 200 years ago that no one plays anymore....

Where's my krumhorn?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived