Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robert Palmer dies

alexclaber

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, what a shame. So young, too. And reading the article kinda verified that he seemed a good man offstage,too (as I imagined he would be). Damn....

This has been a bad couple of months lately.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

I liked Power Station myself. Robert was a real gentleman.

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

I remember playing "Pressure Drop" on guitar in a band many, many years ago - great song. Our version was a composite of versions by the (then very hip) Clash, Palmer and Toots and the Maytals - I had no idea Palmer's version had such stellar musicians on it, especially not Jamerson, thanks for that info Jeremy. (Mind you, as a guitar player at that time I was probably only dimly aware of who Jamerson was, I knew there was a guy at Motown revered by bass players but I doubt I could have told you his name).

Palmer will be missed. The video for "Addicted to Love" must be just about the most influential pop video ever made, though I don't know much he would have been involved in the creation of it.

that's terrible!! i loved Robert Palmer! he had an ear for good players-- a friend and great drummer from Florida, Joe Galdo, played with him on a couple of tours and i got to see him- it was great stuff.. i'll never forget how he commented " great bassist!" referring to Rhonda Smith when he appeared on the Martin Short show.. the guy knew what he heard.. God bless his soul-- i will miss him.. :(

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

When they go so young and so suddenly it makes you think about things. We so often just automatically think that we can get to that important project some time in the future.

It sounds like he did so much right in his life.

He touched so many with his music and he did it with class.

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

Rest in Peace Robert. You will be missed.

I really liked the Powerstation stuff. He made some great contributions to music. He has joined a list that's getting too big. :cry:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

He was one of the smoothest singers ever. Any one man who can put out "Every Kinda People" and "Doctor Doctor" and "Some Like It Hot" and "Addicted To Love" in one career is something special. He was one of the last of the great rock song stylists, a real singer. Damn.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Truely a fine talent. I enjoyed his work a great deal. He was yet another great musician who has passed well before his time. He was younger than my father. Sad stuff. I can still remember hearing Power Station for the first time and totally digging it. This was when I was *heavily* into my dad's Beatles albums and there was very little else that I listened to.

Archived