Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did Duck Dunn underplay?

jeremy c

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol maybe he was a WIMP!! :D
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

maybe i don't know duck's work too well, but on "the blues brothers" (1980) his playing was very melodic, tasteful, and anything but repetetive. that movie is a how-to guide for playing in the pocket. if i weren't just now realizing how creative neal peart of rush was, i would be getting chills at how beautiful and hilarious that movie is.

robb.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Actually I thought that Les was less. :D

:D

Man, so many people took this one hook, line, and sinker. I love it.

Duck Dunn was/is a bad ass mofo. I've learned so much from what he's done in his career than most other bassists out there. He and Steve were the ultimate bass/guitar combo. There's so much to learn from what those cats did. Booya.

I am a pool shootin boy, they call me Willie McCoy.

I mean, no fills, nearly all eighth notes, the same part over and over, straight triads on "midnight hour", what's up with that?

Touché

The whole point of the MGs is that there are no remarkable lines of any of the instruments to listen to. One listens to the whole band as if it is one person with a bunch of extra limbs playing everything at once. Leave room for Cropper's stuff? My god, he leave's so much room for everyone else. There is no better, sparser rhythm player in existance. He's one of the the only geetar players that's really a rhythm player. Screw Clapton, SRV, Paige, etc. I'd take Cropper in my band any day.

The real question is: Do YOU overplay? Does your ego require you to play notes beyond what the song demands?

Rule of thumb: Figure out what you want to play. Then go back and take half of the notes out.

Originally posted by Father Gino:

I mean, no fills, nearly all eighth notes, the same part over and over, straight triads on "midnight hour", what's up with that?

The real question is: Do YOU overplay? Does your ego require you to play notes beyond what the song demands?

Rule of thumb: Figure out what you want to play. Then go back and take half of the notes out.

Now there's the rub...

Quite a profound statement Father G. ;)

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

[qb] He and Steve were the ultimate bass/guitar combo.

I cop so many turnaround from Dunn it's not even funny.

Further, the one thing about Dunn and Cropper; tone. Dunn had that beautiful recorded round tone, and Steve had that STABBING guitar. It was a nice contrast.

Originally posted by getz76:

[qb] He and Steve were the ultimate bass/guitar combo.

I cop so many turnaround from Dunn it's not even funny.

Further, the one thing about Dunn and Cropper; tone. Dunn had that beautiful recorded round tone, and Steve had that STABBING guitar. It was a nice contrast.

I know this is a bass forum, but let's not leave out the late Al Jackson, Mr. In the pocket on the drums.

Oh, and Booker T ain't too bad his own self either

;)

Many moons ago, I didn't really appreciate the musicianship of the MG's, and specifically Duck Dunn. Loved their music, but I went thru a Stanley/Jaco thing to apply to my playing.

I found that I could get shit jam gigs with the overboard playing, but real bands wanted a bassist who knew where the 'One' is, and didn't masturbate all over the music.

That's when I started appreciating what Dunn, and many other 'less active' bassists were doing. I think that's when I started to learn to play for the song. I think it's about that time I started to learn to lead the band (along with the drummer), instead of follow along with the chord changes. This may sound stupid, but I try and make my basslines a song within a song. And it can be done without to many notes.

The two biggest compliments that meant alot to me were similar, and in general said, "Great job. I didn't even know you were there."

So, to steal from CMDN.... Duck RuLEZ!

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

"I try and make my basslines a song within a song."

Fig, I sure hope that's not stupid, because that's exactly my approach too. And you're right, it doesn't have to mean playing busy or forsaking the support role.

(There are exceptions, though. E.g. sometimes when someone's doing a quiet, fingerpick guitar thing, I can "hide" underneath & sound like an extra set of low strings for the guitar, rather than a distinct or noticeable bass part.)

At a bit of a tangent, but I'm playing with an electronica band at the moment and, of course, I "play for the music". That means 90% of the time very, very simple lines, in fact on some tunes not much more than root notes or very simple ostinato parts repeated for the whole tune. Which is fine, that's what I'm there for, it's what fits the context.

There are some very talented guys in this band, there are definitely less weak links than in my last project. But my last project was a funk disco thing. I got to play Jamerson's line from "For Once In My Life", Nathan Watts lines from "Sir Duke" and "I Wish", Bernard Edwards lines from the big Sister Sledge and Chic hits, Verdine White lines, Crudaders stuff, James Brown stuff........well, you get the picture, it was great experience for a relatively novice player. Although I feellife has moved on, and I'm with a better band now, I'm definitely feeling I've got less of a technical challenge. And I also worry that, if this is the only musical project I'm involved in, my playing may start to stagnate in some of its aspects. I could look around for something more challenging I suppose, but I'm very excited about the overall sound of the band I'm in, as a hobby player I'd find it hard to make time for another project, and I don't want to join an inferior band just to play more challenging bass lines. I can't be the only bassist whose come up against this problem - how have others dealt with it?

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Man, Duck could've been tearing that sh*t up! Instead he was all supportive and boring. Jeez.

Someone as fantastic and brilliant as Jaco would've never listed him as an influence. Not in a million years. What a boring player.

:D

Actually, during his time with Wayne Cochran's James-Brown-style band, I bet Jaco imitated him a lot!

Duck Dunn is the funkiest white man to have ever walked the earth. His bass lines are simple in terms of the number of notes, but that FEEL. How the heck does he stretch THAT MUCH FEEL out of such simple patterns? When I can play a Duck Dunn line and make it sound like Duck Dunn, then I will have succeeded as a bassist. I'm willing to bet that VERY FEW bassists can actually achieve this, even though, note for note, the lines are simple.

Man, that dude is funky!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Duck Dunn is the funkiest white man to have ever walked the earth. His bass lines are simple in terms of the number of notes, but that FEEL. How the heck does he stretch THAT MUCH FEEL out of such simple patterns? When I can play a Duck Dunn line and make it sound like Duck Dunn, then I will have succeeded as a bassist. I'm willing to bet that VERY FEW bassists can actually achieve this, even though, note for note, the lines are simple.

Man, that dude is funky!

HERE is my attempt at playing one of The Man's lines. Sorry for the size.. I didn't have an MP3 encoder at work.

I enjoy everything I've ever heard from Duck Dunn. And his bandmates. In most cases, I'm not emulating his style, and I'm not able to coax as much out of as little as Duck is.

I play what I feel (not too far from dcr and fig's explanation). If I'm palying something and I'm asked to change it, that's fine. If I get asked to change many things, I'm not the right guy for your gig (this hasn't happened yet, but it could).

There are many bassists I appreciate, and I agree that Duck RuLEZ. I'm just not using him as my model.

You could say that this is one of the few times I'm not going to duck and run....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dan South:

Man, that dude is funky!

HERE is my attempt at playing one of The Man's lines. Sorry for the size.. I didn't have an MP3 encoder at work.
Hey Bump!

That's pretty darned good, but it ain't quite Dunn! :D

:thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived