Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saxomophone?

groovyjazzyfunky

Not to steal from the "who plays trumpet?" thread," but I've definitely noticed that there also seem to be a lot of bass/sax players that frequent here. I'm one of them, and my sax skills are actually light years ahead of my bass skills, although I've been playing a lot more bass than sax recently. Anyway, if you're a bass/sax player, speak up. I'm curious to know why it is that a lot of sax players seem to gravitate toward bass also. Besides the fact that they're the two coolest instruments on the planet, that is. :cool:
All your bass are belong to us!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted to play bass since about 2nd grade, my school didn't teach stringed instuments. When something besides the recorder became availible in 4th grade I took Sax. I played about 10 years (was actually an ok player) before I sold my sax. I've thought of picking one up again. Seems the local pawn shop gets Yamaha, Conn and Bundy in regular.

I have been playing sax over 15 years, and majored on it thru college. For most of the same 15 years I have wanted to get a bass, which finally happened about 2 years ago. I love it! I should be punished for waiting so long.

Currently I don't have a bass gig. I play sax every weekend for 3 church services.

- Matt W.

I play alto and tenor saxes regularly in concert bands, pep bands and jazz bands, but have played soprano sax and bari sax in other places for other groups. I prefer sax over bass, especially in a jazz band for more room to move. Seldom do bassists in a 21-piece jazz band get room to solo :D
\m/ Timothy Lyons

Didn't Greenboy play sax, too?

For me, bass and sax fulfill different areas of my musical needs. I use bass as more of a writing tool and for pure structured groovin', but when I play sax I'm all over the place. Bass is the heart, and sax is the brain. I need them both.

All your bass are belong to us!

I played clarinet from 5th-8th grade, sax from 8th grade through one semester of college, and bassoon from 9th grade through one semester of college (only did one semester of college...)

My senior year of high school, I actually played sax in the school Wind Ensemble, bassoon in the school Orchestra, and guitar in the school Jazz Ensemble. I also arranged a Beatles tune for the jazz ensemble, which we performed at a concert. I ended up winning the "Outstanding Senior Musician" award at the end of the year :D

I played Lead Alto sax in 8th, 9th & 11th grade (in 10th grade I played 2nd alto, deferring to a Senior; in college also played 2nd alto). My Senior year, my family moved to a new city. The Jazz Ensemble at my new high school already had a full sax section, but when I talked to the band director, he asked me to play in that group because the Lead Alto player he had was a 10th-grader who had never played jazz before and he wanted me to help her out. As it turned out, she was very talented and didn't need any help from me. So when the director handed us a song that had an important guitar part, I raised my hand and said, "I play guitar!" and for the rest of the year I was the guitarist in that group.

In 10th & 11th grade, at my previous school, although I played alto in the Jazz Band I played baritone sax in the Pep band and marching band (the Pep and Marching bands were actually created out of the Concert band, where I ordinarily played bassoon - the bassoon is not suited to marching or playing in noisy gymnasiums during basketball games, so I switched to bari sax in those situations.

As it turned out, though, I took up the bass after that one semester of college, and my wind instruments all fell by the wayside I didn't own a bassoon anyway, and I didn't really have any place to play my sax. So I focused on guitar and bass, and have stuck with those for the last eighteen years. Bass has been my main instrument for the last nine years.

I should bust out that sax again, though :)

I started my musicianship with saxophone. I played alto from 5th-7th grade, tenor from 8th-now, and bari sax from junior year to now (im a senior in high school). I picked up bass durring sophmore year becuase my friend needed one for his band, that im still in.
We distort. You abide.

Indeed, greenboy plays sax.

I did too, after a fashion. I wasn't very good at it, and didn't keep up with the work as I went through school. I tried it again a few years ago, and it was a struggle. I put some work into it and discovered I didn't like it as much as I like playing bass. ;)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I played alto sax in grade school and junior high. When it was time to choose a band instrument in 5th grade, that was the one for me because it was the most rock and roll and I wanted to RAWK. My dad is a trumpet player and I never cared much for that instrument. I sure didn't want to get stuck on clarinet like my brother, can't rock with that. Luckily the band teacher deemed me suitable for the sax. I never could get that sound I wanted though, that screaming sound. By high school I'd been playing guitar for a few years, and when I found out there was a place for guitars in jazz band I quit sax altogether and never picked it up again. I switched to bass a couple years after that, but still played guitar in the school jazz band. Senior year I sat in a lot with the freshman jazz band on bass because they didn't have a bassist.

Sax was my major instrument in college. FWIW - I was told by the department chair that it was one of the best ones he had heard.

I got a job teaching orchestra and my sax playing has been moved to the back burner. I played and taught for a while, but bass took over - playing in the symphony, etc.

Sax has now beenmoved off the stove completely. I have sold one sax and am trying to sell the other. I just don't use them. I am thought of as a bass player around town now. Actually, that's what I prefer anyway.

I don't know if it counts, but aside from about 20 years on bass and under a year on keyboard, I spent a few months on Tenor sax a very long time ago. Man, it hurts so much to bite on the lip like that!!

I did pick up a few things, learned to play the "Baker Street" sax solo on it before chewing my lip through.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

oooh - and when I learned that you I shouldn't be playing piano with my forehead, that got to be more fun, too.

GeorgeR - someone should have tough you a good embouchure... it shouldn't hurt, ever. I have had a callous inside my lower lip during periods when I practiced 2-3 hours per day (uh, college). And maybe there is exception for playing with braces. But typically, no pain.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Bomber75:

I started my musicianship with saxophone. I played alto from 5th-7th grade, tenor from 8th-now, and bari sax from junior year to now (im a senior in high school). I picked up bass durring sophmore year becuase my friend needed one for his band, that im still in.

Hey great avatar image! ANIMALS!

Im just a dreamer

Dreaming my life away

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Originally posted by Timothy Lyons:

I prefer sax over bass, especially in a jazz band for more room to move.

You can't say that here. Go find yourself a sax forum!

Alex

"Weeding out the pretenders, horn player by horn player..."

I just meant that on bass, I'm not that good with jazz at the moment. I like playing jazz sax, it's a lot of fun.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

Archived