Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Add an AMP?

ernieD

I'd like to push my SWR Goliath III 4x10 & SWR-SOB 1x15 cabs a little harder. Could I run a power amp into my GK1001 RBI. If so how would I connect this to the amp? What power amp models might I consider and how many watts might be good and safe? Is this do-able without possible damage to amp or cabs? Would I have to use a crossover? And lastly what might be the best bang for the bucks, about $150.00-$400.00.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ernie, Looks like your only choice with the 1001 is to use the "Direct out" feature, on the front of your amp, to a power amp. Your amp has Pre/Post switches for your DI so that makes things nice. As far as amps, I like the QSC PLX series, which are more expensive than the RMX Series. A QSC RMX 1450 runs about $400.00.

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

Power? It's all about dilithium crystals. However, there seems to be a dearth of them currently. ;):D

You can run your "effects send" to a separate power amp, and then run that power amp into your cabs. That will give you more power, and you will be using your GK as a preamp.

Consider selling the GK and adding the cash from the sale to the $150-$400 you've currently budgeted and you could maybe get a more powerful amp.

I would think that a GK 1001 into a 4x10 and 1x15 would be quite earth-shaking. What kinds of venues are you playing?

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

I would think that a GK 1001 into a 4x10 and 1x15 would be quite earth-shaking. What kinds of venues are you playing?

Peace.

You would, wouldn't you! At 460/700 that rig should be bruising people in the first row. :D

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

My problem is that we use our PA for vocals, a sax and just a bit of drums. So I have to compete with two loud guitar players and a sax and drums. We do alot of sports bars with wooden ceilings and concrete floors and some keep the side or front doors open too. It just seems sometimes like I am getting lost in all the other sounds. When I've asked friends who are on the floor, they tell me they can hear me fine. Maybe I am just not hearing what they hear, that blossom that I read about here so often. I just thought I could add some more power to be heard cause I run gain and volume at about 3/4 open now.

Two things:

1) The audience will always hear you better than you hear yourself. Bass notes take a long time to really form properly.

2) Make sure your EQ is set right. Extreme settings rarely achieve much. You're using a GK 1001RB, which has a whopping 500 watts (if I'm not mistaken...I'm using GK's tendency to name their model numbers by doubling the RMS rating). So I don't think power is your problem at all...especially if you're using two speaker cabinets.

Set your EQ flat. Disengage every one of those "pre-shape" controls...especially that "Mid Cut" button. Boost the Low Mids to around 2 o'clock, and the Bass at 1 o'clock. See if that helps.

The key to making a bass cut through is the low midrange around the 250hz-120hz area.

Archived