Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Avatar question

mro

With everyone on this forum saying great things about Avatar cabinets, I have one more question. Avatar uses Eminence Delta speakers. My Ampeg Classic Sreies SVT-410HE, I think uses the same speaker. Do Avatar cabs sound like Ampeg cabs? I have never heard these cabs or know where to listen to them. If they are that similar, I should buy a new Avatar cab instead of the same priced Used Ampeg right? Thanks..

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine sounds nothing like an Ampeg cabinet. Dave designed these things well. From what I can tell, the Avatars seem to be built from a much sturdier material and construction methods. Not saying the Ampegs aren't built well. They are, but I just find these to be better. Plus, a 2x12 at 70 lbs, that's 30 lbs less than my old 8x10. That means there's some hellacious bracing going on and some nice sound chambers. I would say get the Avatar for a great price. New is better than used any day.

I was under the impression that Ampeg was making their own drivers.

My old Ampeg 410HE used four, 32-ohm drivers for a cabinet impedence of 8-ohms.

Also, the 410HE is a sealed cabinet, while the Avatar cabs are ported. Differences are vast, but generally, ported cabs are louder, have higher power handling, and better low-end response while sealed cabinets have a smoother response and a much shallower low-end roll-off.

Archived