Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is a good pick to use on a bass?

HypnoBassMan

Hi Group,

I did a search for "pick" and found a lot of postings about who uses a pick and who doesn't. I've been a finger player for the most part, but now I want to use a pick because it increases my tonal range.

What I wan't to know is, those of you who do use a pick, what kind of picks do you use. I generally use a heavy guage fender guitar pick, but they get slippery. Plus, since it has a relatively sharp edge on it, if I don't pick exactly straight down on the string, then the pick scrapes against the round windings on the strings making a sound that I don't want.

I want a pick that will give me that sharper tone and won't slip out of my fingers.

Any input?

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was at guitar center (I know, hiss hiss) but I got these picks called Gator grips or something along those lines. They have some sort of fiber on the outside so it doesn't slip and it's fairly heavy. Might wanna give those a try.

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

When I use a pick, I use Dunlop Gator Grips. Purple ones.

But if you are scraping the strings, you need to work on your pick technique.

Unless your hands are very sweaty, if you have good technique you'll never drop a pick.

You can always use Gorilla Snot to help hold on to the pick.

(It's a real product, honest!)

Fender Mediums back in the day when that was all I used. Now, it's the thickes pick I can borrow from the guitar player when I decide I need to use a puck.

You might also try using a quarter - it's an interesting way to work on your pick technique, and does give you an interesting sound.

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

personally, i prefer the sound and feel of dunlop tortex orange (.063mm). thinner than most bass picks, i suppose. i also occasionally use dunlop big stubby 2.0mm picks. they're very grippy.

i agree with Jeremy, too. i think you should work on your pick technique to eliminate the sounds you don't like. but remember that part of the flatpick zingy sound is the edge scraping the roundwounds.

robb.

My band just had custom picks made...

2.0mm matte black tortex picks with our logo and website on them. Those suckers will work for guitar or bass.

The matte finish is good for keeping a grip when hands get sweaty, and the 2.0mm thickness allows for some flexibility without too much "bendy-ness." And I rarely drop them unless someone bops into my hand when we're onstage. That happens from time to time.

One of our old bassists used nothing but Dava Picks . They seemed neat, but I couldn't use them at all. Too bendy, and DEFINITELY too expensive.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Did someone say .063 mm? I assume you mean 0.63 mm.

I use Fender heavy picks, typically. But I've been known to use a orange and red Dunlop tortoise picks, or the purple/blue-ish Dunlop Gator Grips, all less than 1 mm.

I have a 2 mm Dunlop pick, but I find it the least useful. Too heavy.

I agree that you probably shouldn't be dropping your picks. The Gator Grips will hopefully remedy that.

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

I've got one made of stone.

Highly legal.

Not that cool, I guess.

Sorry to have brought it up, really...

They are too cool! ;) I have a stone pick I've had for years. Sounds great with my Bass VI.
Holy crap. Me too. I love my stone pick. I'd nearly forgotten about it. That's one pick that I'd use on bass.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Where do you find stone picks? Mine is the only one I've ever found, & even then I found it by accident--it was in a bin of plastic picks, in a store that said they didn't carry stone ones! I knew a guy who had one that looked like it'd been cut from a broken beer bottle bottom, but I couldn't find one.

I used a Dunlop Gator myself this weekend; big, chunky, & just the thing I was hankering for. (You know, like your mama.) I put it back in my stash of picks, so I'll be able to find it easily 5 years from now when I want to use a pick again. :D

check it out, ya'll.

i know we just did a thread about picks last week. most people had something to say about which picks they use. there was also one last month about which picks people use, for the pickers... . all i had to search was "pick". there was something to find, so search worked.

use the search first, post later!

robb.

Originally posted by robb.:

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

Did someone say .063 mm? I assume you mean 0.63 mm.

that was me. you're right; my bad.
Well, I wouldn't have made a big deal about it, but then I thought, dang! That would be one thin pick.

Robb and All,

Robb I did the search thing and I was inundated with threads that talked about picks vs. finger plucking, anyway that is the way it seemed to me at the time. So I started a new thread about picks that are easy to hold on to. Please forgive my bad manners. :)

Any way, where the heck to you get a stone pick? And, are how bad are they on your strings? Do they leave grit on your bass when you have played a while? And, are they easy to hold on to?

HypnoBassMan

Robb and All,

Robb I did the search thing and I was inundated with threads that talked about picks vs. finger plucking, anyway that is the way it seemed to me at the time. So I started a new thread about picks that are easy to hold on to. Please forgive my bad manners.

Any way, where the heck to you get a stone pick? And, are how bad are they on your strings? Do they leave grit on your bass when you have played a while? And, are they easy to hold on to?

Look at my previous post, Hypno. There's a link posted.

Hey Robb chill with the "you need to do the search thing first" obsession, K? You interfered with my informational post for Hypno. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Robb and All,

Robb I did the search thing and I was inundated with threads that talked about picks vs. finger plucking, anyway that is the way it seemed to me at the time. So I started a new thread about picks that are easy to hold on to. Please forgive my bad manners.

Look at my previous post, Hypno. There's a link posted.

Hey Robb chill with the "you need to do the search thing first" obsession, K? You interfered with my informational post for Hypno. Thanks in advance.

Heh, don't get ME started... http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/contrib/icw/005.gif;)

I use Plantwaves .99mm picks. the blue ones. they were free.
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Hi Group,

Thanks for all the input. Right now I am auditioning two pickes, a Donlop Tortex (1.14 mm) and a Donlop Gator (1.5 mm). So far I am favoring the Gator. This is probably because of my poor picking technique. It doesn't make that strange scratching noise if I don't come down on the string perfectly parallel to it. I just wish the Gator was a bit larger.

I'll see how it does.

I think those stone picks are cool, but there is no way I am going to pay $30 bucks for a pick! Even if they sound great.

HypnoBassMan

Archived