Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Killswitch?

Timothy Lyons

Alright, I owned a Gibson Nikki Sixx Blackbird way back in the day, returned it a few days after buying it because I didn't hear a difference in tone from my SR400. Low and behold, it was all my amp's fault and now these basses are pretty hard to find

Anyway, to the point, I loved the simplistic control of an on-off switch. I have a P-bass with active EMG and a volume and a tone knob. I was wondering if I installed a killswitch if I would hear that horrid pop. I figure I won't because the pickups are active, not like my Stingray with passive pickups and active preamp.

Anyway, with my thinking, I would use a SPST (On/On) Toggle switch, and basically just splice it into the middle of my battery lead to open the circuit when the switch is in the off position. Will this work? Will I get a horrid pop?

Any better suggestions?

\m/ Timothy Lyons

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean?? :confused:

Are you wanting to stick a switch that turns off your pickups? Are you wanting to have a switch that turns the bass from active to passive ?(which my Lull M5 has, and that feature rules)

Please clarify you inquiry, my friend.

I'm guessing (maybe?) the 'horrid pop' you are speaking of is the sound you get from pulling the patch chord out of your bass? If this is the case, it's your amp. You need to have a mute somewhere between your bass and your amp or a mute/standby feature on your amp. When I had amps that didn't have a mute/standby feature, I'd simply pull the patch chord out of the amp and then pull the patch chord on my bass. Problem solved.

firstly, with the active EMG pickup, the preamp is inside the pickup, so if you kill your 9V you're killing your pickup. the volume and tone knobs on that bass are most likely passive.

if that's what you're looking for -- a way to turn your bass off while keeping the cord plugged in -- the best place would be in the ground path of the 9V battery. that should prevent the pop you're familiar with from disconnecting the signal path. an SPST switch is sufficient for such a task, but make sure it's not a momentary switch.

robb.

I modded an active bass I have and put an 'on/off' switch on it (even added a blue LED...battery waste, but looks cool as hell) on the positive (red) side of the circuit, and it pops when switched on or off. As mentioned above, maybe the switch on the ground side would prevent that. Since I didn't need the multicontact jack anymore, I replaced it with a standard, less problematic, jack.

That bass used to need the cord plugged in to turn the preamp on, and until I die, I'll never, ever understand why many active basses are made that way. They got stuck on stupid when they continued that design.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

there's a very good reason it's done that way.

if you wire the negative/ground side of the battery to the sleeve of the cable, it keeps the negative/ground conduction path as an open circuit until a cable is plugged in. it's sort of a dummy-proof feature -- you don't have to remember to turn your onboard preamp off whenever you stop playing. so even though you have a preamp disable switch that achieves the same purpose, if you keep your preamp engaged, unplugging the cable prevents your battery from draining when you're not playing.

besides, most often the preamp disable switch doesn't necessarily disconnect the battery from the circuit. so even if you disable the preamp, you haven't necessarily turned it off. you've just taken it out of the signal path. you obviously don't have to worry about it if the battery is dead or not there at all, but your preamp is likely using some battery, no matter if it's in the signal path or not, as long as the cable is plugged in.

it may be annoying, but most people appreciate it over having an on/off switch. it is certainly a fairly elegant solution.

robb.

it may be annoying, but most people appreciate it over having an on/off switch. it is certainly a fairly elegant solution.

Nah.

Just seems stupid when you take a break during a gig and have to unplug the bass to turn the preamp off. Otherwise it sits there for 20 minutes draining the battery.

The on/off switch is right there (with optional LED telling you if the preamp is on or off...woohoo!). Turn it off, set the bass down, take a break, the batteries aren't draining.

However, not everyone turns things off when they're done (I just read about a local housefire caused by a stove being left on), so yeah, the battery thru the jack is a 'dummy proof' idea.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Archived