Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduction (& a question)

Petethebassman

Hi all, just joined LDL and I'd like to briefly

introduce myself: I'm 35 and I live in Helsinki, Finland and have been playing bass for 20 years now. I'm a student and I play 2-4 gigs per month; these days I'm playing blues/R&B/soul with one band and am also playing 60s/70s/80s rock in a cover band.

I'd like to start/join a band doing original

material again, but with 2 kids and my studies

it's kinda hard to find the time for it.

So, for now, this situation works fine for me:

I don't have to use too much time on rehearsals

and the gig money is a nice supplement to my

regular income. Besides, the other members are

all great players, so it's a lot of fun to play

with these guys, especially the drummer: he's

a full-time pro and I've played with him for

6 years now, and it just gets better, it's such

fun to lay down a solid groove with him and get

people off their asses and onto the dance

floor!

Now, to my question: my main bass is a

Precision with an EMG-P pickup, and I've been

thinking about replacing it with a passive

pickup to get a fatter, punchier and more

traditional tone. Specifically, I'm considering

a Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pound for my bass,

so any opinions are quite welcome (tonal

characteristics, suitability to different

music styles etc). "Traditional" is the

key word here, I definitely don't like crisp,

modern bass tones, my heroes are folks like

Duck Dunn, Chuck Rainey and David Hood, to

name a few. I've kept the same set of

Thomastik Jazz Rounds on my bass for 13 months,

and the tone just gets better, they sound

pretty groovy by now! :D

I guess that's all for now, later..

Pete

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest Rio Grande pickups, if you can get them in Finland. I had the EMG's, the Quarterpounders and even a Bartolini in my basses over the years. By far, the Rio Grandes were superior, particularly the Muy Grandes. Thick, warm tones, higher output...I say it sounded like I put a Sonic Maximiser inside my bass. If you can get them, you won't be sorry. They're all handmade. They are well worth the price.

Ok, so everyone here knows I swear by these bad boys, so I'll jump down off my soapbox now.

I put a Seymour Duncan Antiquities pickup into a P bass copy that I own.

We tested it in the studio and it sounded exactly like my friend's '68 Precision.

I've got Lindy Fralin jazz pickups in another bass...and it's the best sounding jazz bass I've ever played.

Welcome to the Lowdown.

JeRemYC

taht's not faire. HE"S A GROWED_UP PERESON AND WERE JUST KIDZ> HOWdo youexpectus to write perfekt enghish so good ashim?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Hi pete, can i ask if you've been taught english or have you picked it up from people who speak it as their first language (and so use coloqlisms) because that would explain your perfect grammar and spelling (i bet hes good looking and rich too)

nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

At first, I thought this was hilarious. Then, when you actually give it a thought, you realize the sad state of affairs.

I give the kids a break; when I was that age, I did not care about the impressions I made on people other than my peers. However, the inability of the average teenager to communicate either verbally or written is alarming. I say average, as there are some amazing kids out there.

However, I find that there has been a steep decline in quality since I was in school. Lack of basic grammar and vocabular as expansive as the average sardine can.

What's to blame? Who knows? IM? Spell and grammar checkers? Maybe it's that darned empty-V! :D

Originally posted by getz76:

What's to blame? Who knows? IM? Spell and grammar checkers? Maybe it's that darned empty-V! :D

Don't dismiss TV totally, I picked up English from watching English and American cartoons when I was a kid. Here they don't dub (most of) the programs like they do for example in Germany (which partly explains why so many Germans are clueless when it comes to English, just count how many German people we have on this forum ?!?). The dubbing of cartoons has increased here which I don't see as a good thing, but I guess it paints an accurate picture of the way young people are treated these days, getting everything handed to them on a silver platter so to say.

But then again, I for example speak English way better than Swedish (which is the 2nd official language of Finland, spoken almost exclusively in the coastal areas). I'm sure the situation would have been reversed had I watched Swedish television programs instead of the English ones, but then again English is a lot more useful language than Swedish.

Of course the situation is a bit different in the States, but the worry about IM-talk gaining more ground in the every day life is also a problem in other countries as well. And then there are kids like Erik, whose only role models are people like Fi3lDy and F1e4 :P ...

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Pernax,

Your English is probably better than mine, and it's my first (and only) language. Very impressive.

I agree that not all television is bad. I get sucked into hours of the History Channel, the Discover Channel, the Learning Channel, and the Playboy channel here in the US (I watch Playboy for the articles). :P

I guess I was guilty of using those darned IM expressions in my wordplay for M-TV (hence, "empty-V"). :D

Ah yes, I've heard that one before, but for some reason the wordplay slipped past me like a greased up duck this time. I agree that MTV has very little to offer, both in the lines of education and good music ;) . Although I have to point out one exception: Beavis and Butthead! Were it not for MTV the useful phrases like "uh huh huh huh huhu" and "hu hu huh huh huhu hu" would not be here to bring richness and diversity into our vocabularies...
(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Let's not knock TV as a way to learn another language. When I lived in Italy I learned a lot of Italian from Italian TV. The news programming is really good for learning another language, but I also found that the Italian version of MTV was useful too. Hearing the lyrics to Italian pop music certainly helped me develop my ear for the language. So I would think there would be some merit to the English language videos that play in other countries (depending on how heavily they're imbued with slang, and the degree to which learning slang is important to the listener -- and it can be very useful to pick up some slang, mark my words!) Soap operas, even if cheesy, are another viable way to learn another language.

Forums like this can be, too. Using English that is grammatically correct and carefully spelled probably makes it easier for our foreign visitors to understand what is going on, what is being discussed, and what they can learn from the forum.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I put a Seymour Duncan Antiquities pickup into a P bass copy that I own.

We tested it in the studio and it sounded exactly like my friend's '68 Precision.

Note to self:

Have Mike Lull put these p/u's in the P4 I'm going to have him build for me.

Jeremy, did you get this model (11044-11 Pickup for Precision Bass® (twin coil)) or the 'raised A' version?

Originally posted by Pernax:

Although I have to point out one exception: Beavis and Butthead! Were it not for MTV the useful phrases like "uh huh huh huh huhu" and "hu hu huh huh huhu hu" would not be here to bring richness and diversity into our vocabularies...

I AGREE!!!

uh huhuhuhuhu :D

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

When I get home, I'll look at the box.

Nice to get back to the original subject of the post.

This was the best post in a long time!!!

Who was it that started talking about language in this thread???

I know you put that "nice to get back.." comment in just for effect.

I've no idea which pickups that Petethebassman should use, but welcome.

Thanks to others for upholding the value of communication skills, and for the lesson on how English is learned in other countries.

Special thanks to Jeremy for everything he contributes here.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

When I get home, I'll look at the box.

Nice to get back to the original subject of the post.

This was the best post in a long time!!!

Who was it that started talking about language in this thread???

I'll take part of the blame, boss, but Jeremy started it! :D

A concerted effort to post something music related and actually contribute to the forum: I tried out a jazz bass copy with those Seymour Duncan Antiquities and I was pretty impressed. The concensus of reviews I've read seem to suggest that the SD stuff is "Fender Plus"; meaning it still sounds like the original, only better.

Yes, I'm guilty as charged for drifting us off topic.

Now I'm back on.

The Antiquity pickup I have is model 1044-11. That's the one WITHOUT the raised A.

Interestingly enough, the Lindy Fralin jazz pickups that I have were custom wound so that the A and D are a little raised.

But of course on a jazz bass, it's not possible to move the pickup a hair closer to the A string only. This is possible on a p bass, so whether you get the 1044-11 or the 1044-12 probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

Yes, I'm guilty as charged for drifting us off topic.

Now I'm back on.

The Antiquity pickup I have is model 1044-11. That's the one WITHOUT the raised A.

Interestingly enough, the Lindy Fralin jazz pickups that I have were custom wound so that the A and D are a little raised.

But of course on a jazz bass, it's not possible to move the pickup a hair closer to the A string only. This is possible on a p bass, so whether you get the 1044-11 or the 1044-12 probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

Cool, thanks Jeremy.

I looked at my Lindy's on my Lull (out of curiosity) and they are wound in a similar fashion. Perhaps it was a 'normal' thing for their jazz p/u's? I dunno. I do know that they sound uber-tasty, and that is what's really important.

Archived