Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Contract from heaven

jeremy c

I'd thought I'd share some good news in the music business.

Yesterday I played at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Half Moon Bay, California.

The booking agent sent everyone in the band three pages of rules and instructions. We all groaned when we got these pages.

To my surprise and pleasure, I discovered this paragraph:

"The hotel has specifically requested that I tell them if you are not treated with courtesy and respect by any staff at any time while working at the hotel. Please inform me should this arise so it can be corrected."

:cool:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What kinda gig is it Jeremy? Ballroom, Hotel Club, Dining room? Just curious. Sound pretty swanky to me! :thu:

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

"The hotel has specifically requested that I tell them if you are not treated with courtesy and respect by any staff at any time while working at the hotel. Please inform me should this arise so it can be corrected."

:cool:

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

It was a wedding in the ballroom. There were about 400 guests.

The bride's father said that he added up all the travel miles of everyone coming to the wedding and it was over 200,000.

The band was a 6 piece....bass, guitar, drums, keyboard, and two singers. We played background music for half the gig (mostly jazz standards) and then we cranked it up into full Motown and disco mode.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

It was a wedding in the ballroom. There were about 400 guests.

The bride's father said that he added up all the travel miles of everyone coming to the wedding and it was over 200,000.

The band was a 6 piece....bass, guitar, drums, keyboard, and two singers. We played background music for half the gig (mostly jazz standards) and then we cranked it up into full Motown and disco mode.

Never played a wedding, I have played some after reception parties though where close personal friends of the bride and groom have a small party after the reception. Usually all request, Top 40, lots of Jimmy Buffet tunes. All request is fun, it'll make you sweat. :D

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

Were there any paragraphs stipulating what tempos you should play and other such nonsense?

I played one wedding where the instructions told us to that we had to play swing music ("e.g. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Brian Setzer, etc.")

Okay, never mind that we billed ourselves as a swing band and were listed in the directories as such. :D

That's great that you had a paragraph in there like that, though. When the bride and groom and their families are cool, it makes the night so much more fun.

We did a wedding at the Central Park Boathouse where the bride came up to us during our break. She absolutely reeked of, um, herbal relief, and with blazing red eyes exclaimed that she absolutely loved us. "Take as long a break as you guys want to eat your dinner," she said, pointing to this massive four foot high tower of sushi.

Sweeeet...

Archived