Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Johnny Cash RIP

Tony Diez

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very odd thing is, as I was listening to some mp3's on my computer as I read the news, when I saw the headline, his version of "Hurt" came on.

This hasn't been a great week for music. Warren Zevon passed, T-bone Hannon passed and the Man in Black passed. Not to mention we lost John Ritter today, as well. You will all be missed.

Johnny Cash rings in my head from my youth. He was more important to me than any other country musician...Willie, Waylon...even George Jones, who is a fav of mine.

He was fundamentally different than any musician I know. Socially conscious, honest to a fault, funny as hell. There is simply no other musician who speaks like Johnny.

As far as the hard week in music...yeah. But you know, a lot of people have very tragic weeks all the time...and because the victims aren't well known, we tend to ignore their families pain.

Oh, this tragic world, where dreams can come true, but be shattered, where joy can be realized and then lost. Where we all KNOW, without a doubt, we'll have to say "goodbye" to everyone we love, sooner or later.

Sunday, my pastor spoke on, "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy." His point?

Those of us with good will, those of us with spiritual security and strong faith, are sent to the world, full of this pain, to CARE. To listen, understand, share love. To be there.

Spent some time in a hospital ER waiting room a few hours ago. Look around there, tragedy sticks to the walls and washes over all these poor people. I found myself overwhelmed by love, but a profound desire to make a difference in these folks lives...but knowing I had no power, nothing to offer but a kind look and a caring gesture.

I just want to publicly state that I do care. I care about the Carter Cash family (losing mom and dad) the Ritter Family, (now the cast of his new TV comedy will be out of work) the family and friends of T Bone. I, in some sense, suffer when I read of suffering.

And I care for those on this forum, who've given me some small bit of themselves. Here's a prayer of hope and thanksgiving for you all, and best wishes that your happiness might exceed your sorrow, and that you might make a difference in someone else's life someday.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Dave. Also this week, 3 teens were killed in a car accident as they were leaving a party. No story was found on Yahoo!, no thread was made to remember them on the internet. That was more of a tragedy, in my mind, because they were killed because the driver chose to drive drunk. I'm not hopping up on a soapbox here. I was thinking this myself this morning as I read the stories. These fine men enjoyed great careers and lived life. Those 2 18 year olds and 1 17 year old won't have a chance to be a famous musician or great comedian or even a garbage man. All they are now is a statistic.

A friend emailed this to me today. Thought I'd share it.

The Man In Black

by Johnny Cash

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,

Why you never see bright colors on my back,

And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.

Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,

Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,

I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,

But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,

Or listened to the words that Jesus said,

About the road to happiness through love and charity,

Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,

In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,

But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,

Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,

For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,

I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,

Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,

Believen' that the Lord was on their side,

I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,

Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,

And things need changin' everywhere you go,

But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,

You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,

And tell the world that everything's OK,

But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,

'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by cornbread:

Not to mention we lost John Ritter today, as well.

Not to make light of anything, but celebrity deaths tend to make for strange pairings, as was the case when I logged onto abcnews.com today and saw the pictures of Johnny Cash and John Ritter side-by-side.

Johnny Cash was an amazing artist, and an amazing man. It was very unfortunate to see his passing.

His impact on the music community was huge.

and I know that good ol' Johnny wont be goin down to no ring of fire!

Rest in Peace Johnny, Rest in Peace!

You'll never be forgotten!

Im just a dreamer

Dreaming my life away

Oh my God. I'm almost glad it took me so long to find out about it. This is very sad. I was practically in tears when I heard Jewel's bassist died, and now I'm in a very similiar situation. I mean, he was alive just a few days ago. It's like Johnny's been here forever and there isn't supposed to be a day without him. I just prayed for all the families of the dead. This is a great great trajedy.
In Skynyrd We Trust

It is really a sad day for all of music. I think Johnny Cash was the greatest country singer of all time and I don't even like country. A man who can do such a great version of a great Nine Inch Nails song and on one of his albums he had a song written by Glenn Danzig now how many musicians have that sort of range. He was a great musician and he will sorely missed.
I fell down, down, down in a burning ring of fire. R.I.P. JOHNNY CASH!

Originally posted by cornbread:

Couldn't have said it better myself, Dave. Also this week, 3 teens were killed in a car accident as they were leaving a party. No story was found on Yahoo!, no thread was made to remember them on the internet. That was more of a tragedy, in my mind, because they were killed because the driver chose to drive drunk. I'm not hopping up on a soapbox here. I was thinking this myself this morning as I read the stories. These fine men enjoyed great careers and lived life. Those 2 18 year olds and 1 17 year old won't have a chance to be a famous musician or great comedian or even a garbage man. All they are now is a statistic.

Yeah, well, we look at death in a very selective way. About a hundred-fifty Americans die of tobacco-related illness every day, but we don't blink when someone lights up a cigarette. Worldwide, something like 35,000 children die every day from disease or famine. It would take you longer than 24 hours to read all of their names.

But as human nature is flawed, we don't perceive all of this suffering. We pay it no mind at all. But we do stop and ponder the frailty of life when someone like Johnny Cash dies, someone who has united us and touched us all. They unite us once again with their death. Perhaps the Johnny Cashes and Warren Zevons of the world are our representatives for all of those others who suffer anonymously. Perhaps in mourning the passing of a great entertainer, we mourn the loss of all of our brothers and sisters, even those whom we had no chance of knowing.

Live, Love, and Laugh daily,

Life is short.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Curious. I take the point, Dan, but two things stuck out for me: there is not enough time in the day to read the names of those who died today, & it is a human flaw that we do not perceive all of this. But we could just as well say that our ability for each of us to keep his life moving forward while others are losing theirs is actually part of what makes our nature work. This is not, of course, in any way to say that indifference or callousness is just fine. I'm just talking about the ability to get on with your life. We don't have the option of doing that AND counting all the dead, as you yourself say.

Archived