Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

jamerson with one finger.

Gord -B

Everyone here has been saying that jamerson is a great player so i thought i'd learn bernadette today. Simple enough song but the devils in the details. But then i read on a previous message on this forum that he played with just his index finger. At first i thought no way thats impossible but then i sat down and tried it and it works! Its all about raking across the string on that opening line. Does anyone know any other good jamerson lines i can try this out on?
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gord -B:

Everyone here has been saying that jamerson is a great player so i thought i'd learn bernadette today. Simple enough song but the devils in the details. But then i read on a previous message on this forum that he played with just his index finger. At first i thought no way thats impossible but then i sat down and tried it and it works! Its all about raking across the string on that opening line. Does anyone have any other good jamerson lines i can try this out on?

Pick up: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881888826/qid=1063289379/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_4/103-1841502-6005421?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Plenty of charts in the book to play and enjoy. Good CDs, too.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Try it on Stevie Wonders For once in my life or whats going on by Marvin Gaye you will love it I All ready learned it using the hook which is the style of play I use when I am not popping or slapping. Why use 2 or 3 fingers when you can do it with 1? :wave::wave:
Beat by Beat/ Note by Note

...yeah, "Darling Dear." Scary. It's like a 3-minute textbook on funk, improv, & DEEP groove. It's next on my list. I too will be using TWO fingers, though! ;)

I also use two fingers when I play "What's Going On." I also play it sitting up, and sober. :D

Check out the book that Bob linked to. Buying that book was the best thing I have ever done for my bass playing, so far.

I play like that all the time. I can sometimes play faster like that because there are no other fingers to get in its way. Sounds kinda weird, but tis true. I also love to slap all the strings with just my thumb...sometimes I slap the strings with one finger...it all depends.
Well, I see greenboy is back, so why the heck not....

Hi All,

I use Jamerson's one finger right-hand technique a lot of the time and it allows for an eveness of tone from note to note that is hard to create any other way (IMO). I am doing an instructional video of RH techniques that include the 1, 2, & 3 finger techniques. I have found that they all have thier place for the creative groove player. I don't plan to include slap RH technique as it has been covered by people who do it way better than I do. If you are interested in getting a glimps of what this instructional video will be about go to:

http://www.bassland.net/_discussion/00000367.htm

I put this on my discussion board in response to a question about the "pocket". If you would like to email me off forum with any questions or comments, the address is: bassland@email.com

BassLand

www.BassLand.net

thanks for all the suggestions. Can't really afford to buy the book at the moment as i'm a soon to be a poor student.... but on the other hand who needs food when you can have cd's ;)
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

• 1 month later...
I'm bumping this thread because lately I've been fooling around with one-finger playing. Strictly speaking, I still play everything with two fingers, but I find that for many passages it sounds better, feels natural, & seems more efficient to use just one finger. Cool!

Yeah, I rented the Motown video and saw a clip of him using the one finger, so I picked up my bass (always near the couch for emergency noodling) and found that technique surprisingly good. I never of the Hook. Learn something new everyday. It does make some lines much easier and even. Kinda improved the groove. Way cool.
Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Archived