Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Artist's Profile: Michael Manring

So I've heard Manthing before. He's all good and stuff, this is a generally excepted statement. LizzyD lent me this video last night and, you know, I watched it.

I burned all my basses tonight (see pic below). Manring is just scary. The song "The Enormous Room" is reason enough to buy this video. Abso-friggin-lutely amazing. Not only does he have insane chops, but he can write interesting pieces of music that aren't just musical masterbation; the songs sound wonderful. If you played "The Enormous Room" on a piano, you'd swear it was written as a solo piano piece (and a right lovlii one at that). OK, that is all. I need to practice more.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/burnit.JPG

This was early on in the blaze, you'll note that the temperature had not reached sufficient burnination to melt the neck of the Modulus. That puddle of graphite is going to be hard to get out of the carpet.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lord, man, you could've banished them to the dungeon that is my basement in Skokie, IL. Fire was too good for them compared to what I could've put them thru! ;):D

I'm am hoping to catch the Manthing live this Friday evening in Chicago.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

I'm am hoping to catch the Manthing live this Friday evening in Chicago.

OK, I just bought my ticket: 8:00pm show at the Elbo Room in Chicago this Friday night. I'm psyched. :thu:

If anyone else from the area is gonna roll over there, gimme a holler and I'll catch you there. (It's a 21 and over venue -- sorry, youngins'. ;) )

BTW, his album Thonk is killer. :thu: Tim "Herb" Alexander shows up on drums for a track or two, and Alex Skolnick plays guitar on a bunch o' cuts.

Peace.

spreadluv

Yeah, Manring will do that to you. BTW, if you are interested in hearing a new guitarist that plays in a similar style on open-tuned guitar, check out Kaki King...

http://www.kakiking.com/everybodylovesyou/

Also amazing. :thu:

Thanks,

Dm7

http://www.paintedharmony.com

Dm7#11. It's a sad chord in "...the saddest of all keys, really."

Touche'! I guess it'll be a Bag End barbeque instead... :eek:;)

I'll report on the "Manring Rig of Doom" after I attend the show on Friday. I'm expecting to see some Zon and SWR goodies, but one never knows...does one?

Peace.

spreadluv

Ha! Yes that IS a great video, but rather than causing fits of depression, I find to be incredibly inspiring.......

About a year and a half or so ago, I toured with Michael. I opened a series of solo bass concerts where I performed solo, with Michael following up my set. How intimidating is that?

With all of his incredible and exceptional talent, Michael is really very humble about his skills, very welcoming, kind, positive, friendly, and inspiring. On that tour he really urged me on to play beyond what, at that time, I felt were my own limitations, and to find my own voice on the instrument.

After the first show he got me over my own jitters by telling me how much he enjoyed my music and playing...and asking pointers on how I did a few things!

Playing with Michael was a great joy, and a treasured memory.

If any of you have the chance to see him, DO IT! Don't delay or procrastinate. You will not be sorry. The man is far beyond being a "bass player" and is in that rarified realm of being a "complete musician".

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Max, it's nice to read what you had to say about Manring. I look forward to his performance on Friday and I will try to meet him afterwards if possible.

One of the things that has astounded me about Manring's work is the way he uses all kinds of tunings. Here is a link to the page on his website that lists the tunings he uses for different tunes. It is out of control -- just crazy, I tell ya', crazy!

Click here for Manring tunings.

Peace.

spreadluv

Originally posted by Max Valentino:

... where I performed solo, with Michael following up my set. How intimidating is that?

Hey Max - I'm guessing it would have been more intimidating the other way 'round :P

Given the firey comments below, I'm thinking ignorance is the safe thing to do for my basses.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah, Manring will do that to you. BTW, if you are interested in hearing a new guitarist that plays in a similar style on open-tuned guitar, check out Kaki King...

http://www.kakiking.com/everybodylovesyou/

Kaki! I saw her open up for Lettuce and Garaj Mahal at the Mercury Lounge a few months ago, and she was like the second coming of Michael Hedges!

Then I found out she was in my personal network on Friendster.com! Turns out she's friends with some of my friends...small world...

Originally posted by Max Valentino:

Ha! Yes that IS a great video, but rather than causing fits of depression, I find to be incredibly inspiring.......

Ya, honestly, I find it incredibly inspiring too. I love being served up a steamin' hot helping of humble pie by guys like this. Makes me want to practice more.

Lizzadactyl informed me recently that Manring is in fact playing in Seattle in October. Must. Go. To. Show.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Lizzadactyl informed me recently that Manring is in fact playing in Seattle in October. Must. Go. To. Show.

Yes. You. Must.

I. Went. To. Show. Earlier. Tonight. In. Chicago.

It blew my frickin' mind. If you have the opportunity to see Michael Manring perform, you must take it. Not only is he working in another dimension compared to the rest of us shlubs (or at least compared to me ;) ), but he's a nice guy. He patiently hung out after his show to sell CDs and chat with the slew of fans who lined up to speak with him. He is insanely gracious and pleasant in person. I mentioned that our LDL pal, Max Valentino, had said some nice things about him, and he had nothing but praise for Max. (Did you read this, Max? Michael Manring is a fan.)

The opening act was a fellah named Greg Howard, who plays Chapman Stick. He's quite a musician in his own right, and fun to see. Then Michael played...his ass off. Really amazing. It's not simply a chops-fest. Michael's compositions exhibit great musicality, taste, and are fine examples of the strength of combining melodiousness, harmonization, and rhythmic savvy. Plus, his fretless skills are just crazy, I tell you, crazy!

I will find the thread that Michael started advertising the tour dates, so that you can check to see if he'll be in your local area. Honestly, you have to find a way to catch his show. While his recorded music on CD is impressive, he sounds even better live! And to see him while he's playing is really something, especially when he's tearing it up and continually switching to altered tunings. Aye mi!

I'm now going out to the backyard to curl up naked in the fetal position and cry myself to sleep using my two basses as blanket and pillow. (Hey Bump, can I borrow some gasoline and a match?)

Peace.

spreadluv

wow! Thanks Willie. Michael is a great guy...and very supportive of other musicians. He has been a tremndous source of help and inspiration for me.

You did touch one thing which really sperates Michael from other virtusoi......regardless of instrumnent. With all of his incredible technique, for him it is the music which matters. All the technique in the world will not matter if there is not a tune to play, and if the player has "nothing to say" on his/her instrument.

Michael really seems to be a composer/musician who just happens to play bass. All of the techniques, as dazzling as they are, are always in service to the song, and not vice versa.

Thanks again...hmmmm Michael Manring a Max Valentino fan, eh?

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived