Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think it's a good sign...

Connie Z

The other night, my band invited another local musician to "jam" with us. He is normally the lead guitar player for his (excellent) band, but he's been dying to mess around on drums. So since we don't have a drummer at this moment, we said, "Come on down, Baby, and jam on some drums with us!"

Well we had a really good time (playing our Rockin' Oldies tunes), and he was very very very gracious and played nicely and kept his volume at a perfect level (a sign to me of a polished professional), and he even gave us a few performance tips, in a polite and helpful way.

He came back again to our next rehearsal, and this time, we actually had to rehearse for a gig this coming Saturday night, so he played along with us on our setlist. His timing is extremely good.

At the end of the evening, he made the following comment to me, "I never realized before, but I could really feel the relationship of the drums and the bass and how important they are together." (or something like that)

Well, to me, I am TOTALLY pleased that I actually played well enough "in the pocket" that he felt a groove happening. I can't actually believe it. I think that I am in bass player heaven right now. My confidence has just been increased by about 1000%! :love:

Thanks to all of you who are helping to turn me into an actual bass player! :thu:

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cornbread:

You can't blame us for turning you into a bass player. It's all your own fault.

LOL :D:D

Seriously, that's one of the best compliments to have paid to you. You just might turn out to be on the cover of a magazine yet.
Well, fortunately one of the only places someone of my "pleasantly plumpness" could actually appear, would be on the cover of a bass players magazine! (Cause SI would never have me :P ) I distinctly remember the thread about bass players being allowed to be "phat, was it??!" :D:D

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words Cornbread and Bumpcity!

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Connie Z.....you GO, girl!! Woohoo!

That was a great compliment from this drummer. That's so killer your playing got his attention like that.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Yo Connie...

Work it, babygirl!

Cornbread's right -- that IS one of the best compliments a bassist can get. Good for you. Keep doing your thing.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I am so jealous right now. :cry: Our drummer never plays "in the pocket". Every song we play is like one long drum solo to him. Believe or not, we don't even groove on "Black Magic Woman". LOL. I hope to be in bass player heaven one day.

That is so cool for you! Keep it up... :D

Just remember - faith in yourself and a deep connection with The Booty are all you need. Legendary careers have been built on no more than that. Follow your heart, and move The Booty, and the world will be yours. :thu:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Connie- a good drummer can bring out the best in bass player as easily as bad one can ruin you. If a drummer is nailing the groov, it's a piece of cake-

one thing i have found, oddly enough, is tha tere are drummers who sound good when you're in the audience , but when you play with them- their sense of time is different and we don't gel. Then there are drummer which whom i can do no wrong..

If you felt his time being very good, and he made those comments- be proud ! you are doing it!

funny, sometimes after a gig with a drummer who doesn't gel with me, i will come home and plug in and groove with a drum machine just to make sure it wasn't me!!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Hey Mom, Our baby is growin' up!

Wow. So much satisfaction to see you "get it."

Perhaps now you are also experiencing the Dark Side of music as well...self doubt. "Did he say that because our groove was good, or because he wanted me to focus more attention on it?"

After many years of successful playing, I STILL experience this negative self talk more than I care to. And most of the musicians I know do as well.

So...play with unfettered joy and if you experience self doubt, understand it's purpose: to increase your concentration and refine all details of your playing. If you can channel this energy into this refinement, you'll be a fine player indeed.

Or, as we say in the music teaching biz, "Slugs NEVER reach the level of consciousness to experience self-examination."

Actually, we say it more like "He's a slug. He sucks and he always will." (We don't really say that all too often!)

You see, you've entered into the Socratic way of thinking as applied to music: "Know thyself."

Wow! Great achievement here.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Rock on, Connie! Way to go!!! :D:thu::thu:
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by bassaddik:

...funny, sometimes after a gig with a drummer who doesn't gel with me, i will come home and plug in and groove with a drum machine just to make sure it wasn't me!!

I thought I was the only one who did that.

Congrats connie im starting to get jealous of your abilities, and also of your drummer, i wish i could find a nice drummer who can play.

Today is "Everybody be nice to connie day" (not celebrated in utah)

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Connie, it's great to hear about your recent experience with your drummer. So much of our playing has to do with how we feel about ourselves and our own perception of how we sound. Hearing the positive feedback from those we play with helps build confidence. I think most of us played better than we perceived of ourselves at some points of our music careers. The main thing that helped me recognize that I was cutting it was listening to tapes of myself playing. When you hear yourself on tape and know that it sounds good it will take you up a confidence level.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

bassaddik...happens to me too (although I've only got a metronome). There's a guy who I may be playing with more regularly in the future and love to listen to him, but I find him really hard to play with.

He has a slightly messed up feel in that he appears to be slightly ahead with his hands and either on or at the back of the beat with his right foot. Sounds groovey as hell from the cheap seats, but I just can't seem to settle with him.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Great for you Connie !!

I've been playing jams, so it's a crapshoot as to who you are playing with. One of the things I've learned is that I can't play well with a bad drummer. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to minimize the damage rather than do my own work....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived