Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

master volume w/blend or two volumes.....

tarsia

I've seen alot of new two pickups basses (active or not)with seperate volumes for each pickup, My questions is what is everybody's preference & why ? I prefer a blend or balance pot. and a master volume myself, I like to be able to set my tone between the two pickups & then have one volume to control - plus it's easy to hit the one pot. to silence. again just my preference, is the blend thing a problem with passive instruments ?

:thu:

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, a blend is nice. As you know, the Ric has a 3-way switch, a la Les Paul, which is handy; but of course it isn't continuous. Check out the "stupid idea/wiring question" thread for a link to a guitar electronics page, where you can find instructions on mods that include converting a passive two-volume knob system into a passive blend + master volume knob system. Pretty cool.

Dcr, yeah I had a Ric 4001 - this was right when I realized I wanted a master volume LOL !

I played mine with all controls maxxed & had problems turning it down quickly or a sustaining note fade etc..., I will check out that thread you mentioned too, maybe it'll answer my question about a blend pot. with passive systems, THNX ! :thu:

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

So that's what the darn problem is on my bass! :mad:

This is my first bass (Ibanez GSR200) and it has two volume controls and a tone control. I hate that! I didn't even realize that there was another configuration. I am going to look into changing it. It is really a pain to set one volume and then the other.

The idea of a Master Volume is very attractive to me! It will go quite nicely with by handy little volume "level changer" foot switch that the talented and ingenious JeremyC built for me! I will be the "Queen of Volume Control!" :D

My dream at this moment is to buy Rio Grande pickups, and also replace my pots/controls. Now I have a more clear-cut vision!

Thanks for bringing this up. :thu:

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

I prefer master volume/blend, but volume-volume is fine, too.

What sucks is if there is something uneven about the two volume controls (rare; more often related to variation in the pickups' heights to the strings than the two equivalent volume pots ;) ) or if the blend control doesn't pan evenly thru its range (less rare) :( .

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have a Fender Jazz bass and a Mike Lull bass that both have volume, volume, tone.

I just turn all three dials all the way up and play. I never touch the dials, so the dial configuration makes no difference to me.

Any changes in volume or tone that I want to make are made with my fingers.

My "battery basses" (the ones with preamps) have a master volume. I do tend to use this volume, but actually I think that active basses have less of a dynamic range than passive basses, making the use of a master volume control more necessary.

Master volume + blend for me thanks!

I don't really adjust anything on my bass when playing a gig, but especially at practice it's quite nice to be able to mute the bass with just one twist of a knob (or push of the mute button on the tuner or switching the speakers off from my head, there are many possibilities ;) ) especially in a situation where the playing isn't really continuous like when writing new material and so on.

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

I guess it's not an issue for me, since I never use on-board volume as an output volume control, even on active basses. And on passive basses, full volume is default, & I might roll off one of the pickups in order to favor the other. I'm actually a bit surprised that so many people need an on-board master volume control, but then again I wouldn't want the world to be full of clones of myself.

But as SW said, this works only if levels are equal between pickups. Here the Ric could do better; removing the capacitor from the treble circuit DEFINITELY helps, but still the neck pickup is really a pain to raise/lower. It's the price you pay for old-school! :thu:

BTW, Carvin has a new "Timothy B.Schmidt" (with the Eagles) artist model that only has a volume control (I think, I don't have the catalog in front of me).

I like the master volume concept. One of the techniques I use is to hammer a note on with the volume off, and swell it up (to simulate bowing on an upright). But I guess I could do that with a floor volume pedal, huh?

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

"i quite like the idea of a bass with no knobs"

There ya go!! Works for me. Simple is gooooood.

I've really come full circle on this. For a while I wanted a bass with tons of knobs--to control the tone, baby! But after really getting a lot of good sounds out of a passive bass with minimal controls, I see the tone is really in the hands. Knobs, schnobs.

Mind you, I'd only go totally knob-free (don't say it!) if there was only 1 pickup; with 2 pickups, I like to be able to balance to taste.

I find having two separate volume knobs a pain.

On my Yamaha BBN5 (passive with 2 jazz single coils) if I didn't have both volumes at equal levels then my bass would buzz like crazy. This prompted me to just leave both of them cranked, which allowed less tone control options and less control over volume (all or nothing).

Now that I'm used to the one volume knob on my stingray I don't think I could go back to the two volume knobs.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Isn't this what AJ does? No knobs on the bass and he uses a volume pedal?

I feel a little deja vu -- like Jeremy and I have discussed this on the board before...

:D guilty as charged.

of course, i wouldn't use a volume pedal until post-preamp. unless it's active, it kills the whole purpose of having no knobs. just ask max valentino about pure bass tones!

robb.

Originally posted by dcr:

But after really getting a lot of good sounds out of a passive bass with minimal controls, I see the tone is really in the hands. Knobs, schnobs.

Let's not forget the wood! Yes, tone is in the hands, but it is also in the wood (alder, ash, maple, walnut, mahogany, ebony, rosewood, myrtle, cherry... :) ). The electronics are like a bonus. It's the interaction between hands, strings, hardware, and wood that gives us tone -- electronics allow us to hear it more loudly and/or alter it differently.

:D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

s-dub, yeah, I agree, the tonal quality of an instrument is due to a lot of factors; why else to have a bunch of different basses? (And SURELY one must have many, many basses! :D ) But I still say that the best tools ever devised for altering the tone of a single instrument during & between songs is...human hands.

Archived