Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer...any thoughts?

stettoman

I asked this in another thread but the thread was kinda topic specific, so my post got passed over--no biggie.

I ordered a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro last week (I have a buddy at a ProSound store in CO who treats me right), but I've never played through one. I'd like to run the modeling preamp through a QSC mx1000 or a similar Carvin to kind of "consolidate" things and get my Acoustic fixed back up as a spare. Or vice-versa. I've played a guitar through the guitar version of the V-Amp and was duly impressed, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the bass version????? How it may compare to the Line6 Pod?

I've noticed the Behringer gear commanding the racks at the local music store--so are they good or just cheaper?

I'm told the Bass V-Amp has an Acoustic amp emulator, or I wouldn't have considered it.

As a footnote, the V-Amp would be eliminating 5 rack units and the the added miles of cable that goes with them...

Eric, the stettoman***

If it's a pain in the butt, you're doing it wrong!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can of worms alert!

It is hard to find an open-minded opinion on Berhinger. People either seem to love the company or abhor it. For my part, I'll try to toe the line. Their products are, for the most part, are designs taken from other companies and the parts are somewhat cheaper. The result? Less expesive but familiar designs. While not the kind of equipment I'd choose for a long-haul tour, it shold serve it well if you take care of it. For the most part, as well, their electronics are quite silent which is a boon in the studio setting.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by matt C:

Their products, for the most part, are designs taken from other companies and the parts are somewhat cheaper.

So there aren't any patent infringement questions? If the V-Amp is based on the Pod, which seems pretty obvious, I don't understand why Line6 isn't making a stink.

Anyway, my hardcore touring days are long gone. I've been "retired" from road gigging since 1989, so my intentions are pretty mild mannered. I'm looking for a good old weekend warrior band to fill a void and maybe make a few bucks now and then...The Behringer wouldn't be subjected to too much stress. I appreciate your endeavor to be objective...

Eric, the stettoman***

Originally posted by JonPackard:

My only problem with them is the fact that they use slave labor to build them.

Can you substantiate this statement? I realize that several products (out of China predominately) are produced by forced prison labor, but how do you know for a fact that Behringer's are among them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not skeptical, but I don't know this to be true and would like to know where your facts come from...If it is true, I will reconsider my purchase.

I have a couple inquiries in to Behringer reps and will post their responses.

Eric, the stettoman***

As a personal preference I try to steer clear of Behringer's products, even if they're quite cheap and usually work too. There's just something about ripping off other people's work that bothers me, their products are like today's mainstream music - old ideas only with new exteriors...

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

I can certainly understand your point Pernax, but some of us are financially crunched and have little choice but to consider cheaper alternatives.

Had I carte blanche I'd most definitely NOT be asking for input on the V-Amp...

Eric, the stettoman***

Having limited funds is an everlasting pest in the life of a musician, so I see your point clearly aswell. I don't mind if other people buy Behringer's stuff, but if it was my ass on the line, and the choices were Behringer or nothing, I'd go for nothing.

-Pernax

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

I have a Behringer BX1200 amp. It is a nice practice amp, and for the most part should good (if not a little bright). That being said, the "Ultrabass" feature is "Ultra-lame". It does not track well. I considered getting the v-amp, but went for a tube pre-amp instead figuring that I'd rather have one good sound than an arsenal of weak ones.

http://www.paintedharmony.com

Dm7#11. It's a sad chord in "...the saddest of all keys, really."

Hmmm, well Matt, it looks like you were right; they love 'em or hate 'em.

The unit is enroute to me now. I can always send it back if it sucks or I find that Behringer utilizes less than ethical manufacturing processes (still waiting for anyone to provide proof one way or the other)...

I'll definitely get back to the group on this, let y'all know what I think.

Eric, the stettoman***

While there are some ethical questions as to "reverse engineering", it is rather widespread and not merely limited to Behringer (a lot of mini-mixers now appear to be very much like Mackie's).

Behringer, to their credit, makes some "fair" gear and makes it available to musicians who might not be able to afford something "better". Yet, in this there is a trade off; cheap is cheap. I have on occaison either used Behringer stuff, or in a rare case bought a couple of little mixers for monitor sub-mixers, and found them to be 1) certainly affordable and fairly well-built. 2) Inferior in their sound quality, and in fact useless in a professional situation.

Well, they use lower quality parts and components (I am not at all sure of the slave labor issue, but am wary of much of the Chinese made stuff), and that equals out to lower quality, less headroom and noise. The little mixers I spoke of (both a 6 ch and 8 ch model) worked "fine" for live mon mixers, but quickly outlived their usefullness as their limited headroom and inherent noise made them impractical. They were sold......

I did some a/b test with Behringer studio monitors

and while they are affordable, with ample power, cone size and such, they do not give a quality reference for recording, IMHO.

The V-Amp stuff puts POD-like modeling in a lower price range, yet I found a noticable latency, one major drawback to digital modeling, in the model I tried.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Well Max, I guess the goal of us all is to upgrade in skill and equipment as we go, so maybe Behringer is a good "re" starting point for me....

Thanks for the input guys

Eric, the stettoman***

TO expand on my prvious statements:

My first expression that their products are "rip-offs" is not a personal mentality but rather something I gleaned from the manager of PA at my local guitar center; he is a man I trust very much on such matters.

Also, I was fairly skeptical of Berhinger's stuff until time and cash forced me to buy a small board for my practice studio: 12ch w/ 4 mic pres. It's nothing to write home about but it is nice and quiet and does it's job. Herein lies my pesonal feelings on their equipment in my studio: I will usually only seriously consider their products which aren't itended to color the input's sound. Such items might include said mixing board (I wanted one that was compact and quiet), basic reverbs, crossovers, etc. They might affect the sound but they do not color it.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Archived