Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

question on Sun Concert Bass Amp

rogue

Does anyone out there know what the impedance is for the Sun Concert Amp, 200 watt model. Real old, at leat 20 years. Kicks butt though. I have that and a seventies 50 watt Fender Bassman. I play an Ibanez and Takemine Acoustic/electric. Usually play through 4x12 Celestian or 4x10 eminence.

Thanks to anyone who can help

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't tell you for sure, but here's a bit by someone who used it with 2) 2x15 cabs - that would be a 2 Ohm load, and apparemtly it did not blow up. For sure, you are safe at 4 Ohms. I think Sunn was all about using 2x15, 6x10 and other larger cabs.

Sunn Concert Review

And then I found this one

Unofficial Sunn Site. Which has a copy of a 1979 catalog and lists the specs for the Concert Bass at 2 Ohms! 200 Watts, and only 35 lbs.

FYI - Sunn was bought by Fender, and it appears Fender just KO'd the brand this year.

- Matt W.

Well, maybe they'll push SWR off the ledge, but not before integrating some of thier designs. The new 2x10 fender combo is basically the same as the SWR, and that's an improvement. As for SUNN designs, their two high end heads (of which I am a proud owner of one of them) are basically the SUNN amps they used to sell, but with a few minor improvements and a fender logo. Peronally, I think that Fender amps will gain in quality, though people that don't like the Fender giant probably aren't too happy about the prospect of having to get an SWR amp with a fender logo on it. For Fender, though, it's a very good thing. For the rest of us, I guess it depends on your feeling about Fender.

I might be biased, but I do love my Bassman 1200 :)

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Originally posted by getz76:

The new Fender 2x10 combo came out before they acquired SWR.

Really? I thought I'd been paying attention to thier equipment, but perhaps I wasn't paying as close attention as I thought. I did think that the new look and features of the Pro 400 seemed to ring of SWR, but I suppose I could have been mistaken. It does look different from all the other combos in the current Bassman line, though, so maybe that's what threw me off.

HI,

When I was a pup I had the Sorardo and a 2x15'' bottom .We did Airplane,Allmans and Santana.The Jefferson Airplane used their stuff alot.The Collosium series and Jack Cassidy was the bass player.He used a Guild Starfire with some custom low impedence pickups.Epiphone is making an endorsed model which has had great reviews.Fender screwed up Sunn big time

(IMHO)

They were in competition with the Acoustic amps.

Later :wave::wave:

why is it that i am always the one to set the facts straight.

in this case, the facts are that sunn was a brand name and company long dead that fender attempted to resurrect. unfortunately for sunn lovers, the new gen sunn gear did not sell as well as fender had hoped, despite reviewing very well and being well-liked by those who heard it. the result is that the sunn brand was cancelled and sent back to being a defunct brand of the past.

next thing you know someone's going to mention jackson/charvel... :rolleyes:

robb.

I actually did know that...but I didn't mention it, cause I forget things. We science majors tend to be absent minded. But, yeah, SUNN the original died a long time ago. The new stuff wasn't bad, though, and the designs live on under a fender logo.

Hey,

Fender is trying to be the GM of Music Stuff.Guild,SWR,SUNN,Trace Elliot to name a few.IMHO they are not cutting the mustard but are consolidating the brands.On a divisional basis Fenders' profite are covering their acquisitional losses.Sunn was a great company with a great product. :wave::wave::wave:

yeah, but facts change his point. sunn was a good company with good products -- 30 years ago. but then they folded -- 30 years ago.

if you think fender is bad and that acquisitions are bad, that's fine. opinions are like assholes. everyone has one, and they all stink. but if you feel the need to prove you're right, try to use reality instead of fantasy. i am sick of hearing about how fender ruined sunn. sunn ruined sunn; fender was unsuccessful at resurrecting them. i can't see how that is a crime.

robb.

Archived