Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low output on a SR885 Ibanez

vico

(newbie alarm)

Help me!

I have an Ibanez SR885 fivestring active bass

and its signal output is equal or even lower than the one i get from my cheap Epiphone 4 string.

i have tested on different amps, and my Ibanez always lacks voulme , and got complaints from a few sound guys about my output being too weak.

The battery is new, so im guessing something is wrong with the wiring.

Anyone else with an Ibanez had this problem?

thanks

Am Ende Steht Der Sieg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is your string height and the height of the pickups in relation to the strings? If your action is really high and/or your pickups are really low you can very easily get a really weak signal.

Something else you might want to look at is all the wiring in the bass. A very long time ago I owned an SR500. It had fairly low output as well. Upon taking the pickups out, it was discovered that one of the screws holding the pickup in place was impaling one of the wires. Nice quality control. After replacing the wounded wire, output was improved radically.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Nice quality control.

LOL!

the action is pretty low , so im gonna have a friend of mine check the wiring.

Thanks for the quick response

adios

Am Ende Steht Der Sieg

Don't assume that because you just opened the package that the battery is good. Grap a multimeter and measure the voltage that the battery offers. A new 9V should provide about 9.2 or 9.3 volts. Only buy good quality batteries for your bass and check them at least monthly. Take it from my experience (I run the electrical dept. at my store). batteries can and will leak over time, and they are more likely to do so if they are from a no-name brand. Also, cheap batteries tend to have lower voltages. Stick with Energizer, Duracell, or new Rayovac batteries.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Nice quality control.

Yes, this is a QC issue, but I have played Fender and other basses with low output as well, even a couple of boutique types.

Check the battery, with something besides your tongue :eek: , and trace all the wires within the bass. Also try using different cables to the amp, with nothing in between.

If all else fails, get a new soundman. :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived