Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Mars Volta

Gord -B

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite album ever. It may seem a little overwhelming at first, but It's the kind you have to sit back and listen to the whole thing through to really enjoy. I've yet to read a review of this album with a hint of negativity, and there's good reason for it. And although they have a very competant bass player, Flea layed down all the tracks on the CD. I could ramble on and on about it, or just say GET IT NOW!
These words, are sledgehammers of truth.

My drummer is seriously obsessed with this band. He has both of their CDs and has subjected me to their music thoroughly. I dig Flea's lines on their newest CD, a lot more restrained then the stuff he does in the Chile Peppers. I like some of their melodies and melodic ideas, something that is lacking in most music of this genre, in my opinion.

Yes great CD. I think I got it the week it came out. The drummer is awesome! And I've always loved Flea and John (I'll avoid butchering spelling his last name) including on the latest chili pepper stuff. The Mars Volta, a little more weird and out there, but definitely a great listen.

Dave

Can't stand Mars Volta, but then again, I didn't like At The Drive-In much, either.

Lots of craziness with no apparent destination. I find it annoyingly chaotic and oddly structured for no good reason. And that guy's high voice grates on my nerves.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

They wern't that great at chilli peppers, but i think they're great and i also like at the drive in. My god that drummer must have four arms damn he's good but they're all like studio musicians aren't they? apart from lead guitarist and singer omar and the other one. Well i've probably insulted a few people with my lack of knowlage on this subject so i'll just go.
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Yeah, he reminds me of Jeff Buckley mixed with Geddy Lee, neither of whom appeal to me at all.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• 2 years later...

The drummer in that band is insane. I love listening to him. He's like John Bonham on crack.

The bassist on the new CD is not Flea. It's Juan Aldaltre, who played with Racer X. He plays some monstrous grooves.

I agree that they're very weird. I'm a fan of Keneally, Zappa, the Residents and Pere Ubu, though...so weird is fine by me. :D

Originally posted by BenLoy:

The drummer in that band is insane. I love listening to him. He's like John Bonham on crack

More like Billy Cobham on PCP! ;) I think they are a pretty fresh band with some interesting music going on. I prefer "Frances The Mute" to "Deloused..." as Juan makes the band feel and sound more organic and he can play his ass off. Interestingly enough, Flea plays Trumpet while Juan handles bass duties.

Status S1

EBS HD350

Aguilar GS212

Lots 'o effects.

They're a good band, but to tell you the truth, it just seems that on the 2nd album they forget there are other people listening...

That being said, I still like them generally. Singer's good and so forth.

I have immense respect for that band but I really can't get into their music. I love out there (call it avant-garde if you want) progressive music (rock or otherwise) but I find there music really hard to get into.

Ahahaha, the SA articles always make me laugh my ass off.

I was listening to L'via L'viaquez as I clicked on this thread too.

Trust me, if you thought De-Loused was crazy, you obviously haven't heard their latest album, Frances the Mute. De-Loused, although tinged with plenty of other musical styles, still revolved around their own insane genre of prog-blues-latin-punk, with the whole punk/prog thing overshadowing it all. FTM, on the other hand... each track is almost a completely different style. They even pull off funky latino pop and weird cuban-jazz-shuffles in one particular song.

And although they were using drugs when they created De-Loused, FTM, their first album made sober, still somehow manages to have more insane lyrics then that.

Archived