Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

poll:10 solos a bass player should know!

40hertz

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok......

"so What" (Bass Intro: Paul Chambers)

"A Love Supreme" (Movements 1 and 2)

Guardian Angels (John Mclaughlin)

"When Last We Spoke" (Michael Manring)

""Blue In Green" (melody/solo: Miles Davis)

"Just Ideas" (Kai Eckhardt's open solo fro "Live At Royal Festival Hall")

and since I mentioned McLaughlin: "Blues for LW" which is GREAT tune on bass

"Dancin' In Your Head" (main melody..Ornette Coleman)

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

3 letters.

YYZ :D

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

"Body and Soul" from Duke Ellington's "Solos, Duets, and Trios". Jimmy Blanton plays a beautiful, if slightly out of tune arco solo.

"Tale of the Fingers" from Paul Chambers' record "Whims of Chambers". Yet another burnin' arco solo, very in-tune.

Ella Fitzgerald's scat solo intro from "Rockin' in Rhythm" from "Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Songbook". Great for stealing ideas that you can use for soloing over "So What."

Django Reinhardt "Improvisation #2". Django once astounded Segovia with an improvised piece like this. The story goes that he approached Django afterwards and asked him where he could find the sheet music for the beautiful tune he had just played. Django laughed and told Segovia that he had just made it up on the spot! :D

Eric Dolphy's solo on "What Love?" on Mingus' "Live at Antibes, 1960".

Rashaan Roland Kirk playing on "C-Jam Blues" from "Mingus live at Carnegie Hall".

Not that I can play these, exactly:

Scott LaFaro's solo on "My Romance" from the Bill Evans Trio "Live at the Village Vanguard."

Jaco Pastorius "Portrait of Tracy"

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

(1) Each and every solo that George Harrison played in the Beatles - George's solos supported the song first, self-aggrandizement last.

(2) Jimmy Page's solo on Stairway to Heaven - nothing fancy, just a beautifully emotional moment played mostly on the pentatonic scale.

(3) The trumpet solo on "In The Mood" (big band tune) - excellent use of arpeggios.

(4) The melody to Dave Brubeck's "Take 5" - not exactly a solo, but it will teach you a lot...about melody.

(5) Jaco's solo on "Havona" (Weather Report) - even if you can't play it very fast, it's an amazing piece of music in its own right and deserves careful study.

(6) Phil Woods' alto sax solo on Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are" - a story told without words. See also: Phil's solo on Steely Dan's Dr. Wu.

(7) Jeff "Skunk" Baxter's guitar solo on Steely Dan's "My Old School" - not complicated, but totally funkalicious.

(8) Pete Christleib's tenor sax solo on Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues" - one of the best solos ever recorded on ANY instrument.

(9) Steve Gadd's drum solos on Steely Dan's "Aja" - good drumming at its absolute best. See also: Wayne Shorter's tenor sax on the same tune. "Aja" is one of my favorite play-along-to-the-CD songs. Try it!!!

(10) The Charlie Parker Omnibook (Bass Clef) - about all you'll ever need to know about jazz soloing in one concise volume.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I like BenLoy's touching instrumental number from Mrs. Grundy. Very nice. I forgot the name of the piece... please help me.
The piece is called "The Best Time to Talk to the Bass Player's Girlfriend"...and it's not me. Matt recorded that CD before he had a band, which is probably just as well...I can't play it!

1. Chris Squire, Yes: "The Fish," live, from Yessongs. Distorted wah/pick/Rick heaven.

2. Ralphe Armstrong with Jean-Luc Ponty, "Imaginary Voayge" and "Egocentric Molecules," from Jean-Luc Ponty Live!

3. Victor Wooten, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, "Michelle," from Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo.

4. Steve Lewis, The Tarbabies, "Rhino A Go Go" and "Ninety Pounds," from Honey Bubble. A pre-RHCP punk/funk classic that you should know about but probably don't, released on the mighty SST Records.

5. Paul Chambers - damn near anything he ever played. Such a badass that John Coltrane wrote a song just for him, "Mr. P.C."

6. Stanley Clarke, Return To Forever, "The Romantic Warrior." One word: DAMN!

7. Geddy Lee, Rush, "Show Don't Tell," from Presto.

8. Larry Carlton, Steely Dan, "Kid Charlemagne," from The Royal Scam. STILL the smoothest guitar solo in history - ending on that seventh is a masterful end for a master's solo.

9. Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin, "Since I've Been Loving You," from How The West Was Won. I think it's the most awesome blues rave-up ever captured on tape.

10. Keith Emerson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, "Stones Of Years," from Live At The Royal Albert Hall. If you want to hear what a Hammond organ was born to do, check this one out.

Do I have to stop at ten?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Check out the bass solos in:

1) "Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth" by Cliff Burton (Metallica - Kill 'Em All)

2) "Tommy The Cat" by Les Claypool (Primus - Suck On This)

3) "The Enormous Room" by Michael Manring (Manring - Thonk)

4) "My Generation" by John Entwhistle (The Who - My Generation)

5) "Down With The Bass" by Mike Watt (fIREHOSE - Flyin' The Flannel)

6) "The Sinister Minister" by Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck & The Flecktones)

7) "YYZ" by Geddy Lee (Rush - Exit... Stage Left)

8) "Birdland" by Jaco Pastorius (Weather Report - Heavy Weather)

9) "Metropolis Pt. 1" by John Myung (Dream Theater - Images & Words)

10) "Continuum" by Jaco Pastorius (Jaco - Jaco)

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Originally posted by dcr:

Everything by David Gilmour.

Actually, I was just thinking of coming back in and posting this EXACT comment.

IMHO, Gilmour is the greatest rock guitarist ever...primarily because he epitomizes soul over technique.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Originally posted by dcr:

Everything by David Gilmour.

Actually, I was just thinking of coming back in and posting this EXACT comment.

IMHO, Gilmour is the greatest rock guitarist ever...primarily because he epitomizes soul over technique.

David Gilmour, from Pink Floyd, was my first guitar hero, when I got my first acoustic in junior high. I learned every song on The Wall. Then, a friend introduced me to Rush, and I fell in love with Geddy's bass playing, and bought a bass. It's been almost all bass since then, but Gilmour is still the reason I started playing guitar in the first place. He is just so cool.
"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Archived