Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More GAS, I need amp advice

JLM

I'm using a Peavey Microbass that I bought last year. It's my first amp. The local shop only sells Peavey and I'm wondering if that's the best choice.

I was thinking about the TKO, it's 75 watts, until I read a post about headroom.

It got me thinking about getting more then I need now so I have something useful later.

I think I'd like to go with a seperate head and cab. Are Peavey heads uh...good? Quality and tone wise? You see I don't even know what to ask.

I'll be playing my new Godin passive Freeway 5 through it, when it shows up, with flat wounds.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well if you go Amp/Cab, I reccomend Carvin Heads and Avatar Cabs :D

The Carvin R600 pumps out 600 watts at 4 Ohms Bridged and 275 and 4 Ohm full range/Biamp.

And Avatar Speakers are like the best lol. And they are super cheap. I got a 2x10 and 1x15.

My whole rig is about $1300. You probably don't wanna spend that much. But if you are a serious musician, this will be your last rig ever. unless you get like Mega-GAS. or something. like it gets stolen. but thats hard to steal. lol :D

PS a rule on Headroom is something like take the Guitarists wattage on his amp and double it. If there are 2 guitarists, triple it...or quadruple it :evil:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by JLM:

I'm using a Peavey Microbass that I bought last year. It's my first amp. The local shop only sells Peavey and I'm wondering if that's the best choice.

I was thinking about the TKO, it's 75 watts, until I read a post about headroom.

It got me thinking about getting more then I need now so I have something useful later.

I think I'd like to go with a seperate head and cab. Are Peavey heads uh...good? Quality and tone wise? You see I don't even know what to ask.

I'll be playing my new Godin passive Freeway 5 through it, when it shows up, with flat wounds.

If you are planning on gigging, I would suggest a minimum of 200 watts and either a 15" or a 2x10" speaker compliment (combo or separate cabinet). Why are you upgrading?

Peavey makes very usable gear. Quality and tone wise is a very subjective matter.

My opinion follows:

I tend to feel Peavey's gear is as good as the rest of the mid-fi gear out there; SWR, Eden, GK, Ampeg, Carvin, Hartke, Mesa, etc. I've found that I usually cannot tell much of a difference between these amps to justify a difference in price. I at one point had a Carvin R1000 head and was generally please with it compared to the rest of the solid-state or hybrid heads out there, but it couldn't hold it's own against my Demeter preamp and Stewart poweramp combination. There, I could justify the difference in price.

Just my thoughts, I hope they help.

I think that there have been some improvements in the Peavey line over the past couple of years (probably correlating to robb.'s employment w/ the company :D ).

I played a Peavey Pro Bass 500 head into the Pro Series 4x10 and 1x15 and it sounded fantastic. (However, not my personal vibe.) If your local shop is all Peavey all the time, play every freakin' Peavey amp and cab in the place...twice...and then twice more. That'll really help you get a sense of what you're looking at.

Some questions that will help us help you:

1. Are you gigging right now?

2. Are you jamming w/ other musicians for fun, but not performing?

3. Do you have concrete plans to perform in the near future?

4. What styles of music do you like to play?

5. What's your budget?

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Getz76, I'm upgrading because my little amp doesn't have enough power, and I think I blew out the speaker when I detuned my bass DAEB.

Some answere to some questions that will help us help you:

No

Not yet

Not in the near future, but I'd like to someday.

4. What styles of music do you like to play?

I like listening to rock and roll, I'm getting into jazz, I'd probably lean towards playing jazz.

5. What's your budget?

Hmm, I guess I could go up to $1500, but I don't want to go overboard unless I start performing. I'd like to keep it under a grand.

I went and tried a 160 watt Peavey, it was all they had in stock, and I'd need to order a smaller cab, I don't need the 4x10 they had. If I can get some good ideas of what to look at I'll go shopping when I go south next time.

Some answere to some questions that will help us help you:

No

Not yet

Not in the near future, but I'd like to someday.

Personally, in your situation, knowing now what I didn't know then, I would probably save my cash and get the Microbass fixed. A blown speaker is a lot cheaper to fix than buying a new rig.

Getting a new, bigger rig will make you louder. Being louder just for the sake of being louder probably isn't a good reason to upgrade, although there is something to be said for playing a bigger rig, just for the enjoyment factor.

But, if you're set on buying a new rig, before you blow your $1,500 nut on a new, fantastic rig, I'd do some more research. What you like now isn't necessarily going to be what you like in the future. Also, changing rigs is an expensive prospect (take it from someone who knows!) It looks like you're in Alaska, which stinks for shipping. Is there anywhere you can get to that would have a better selection? Also, if the price of the gear you can buy locally is over-priced (which is often the case when there is little or no competitive shops), you might STILL make out if you buy online and save some cash.

So, if you're looking for a rig that will get you buy at livingroom volumes, but has the potential to gig, I would consider the following:

- Nemesis 210P (my favorite and backup)

- SWR Workingman's 15 (an old standby)

- Carvin PB200-15 (cheap)

- Genz-Benz ML200 Series (DCR has a good experience)

And there are definitely others. Check out the online houses, like zZounds.com, interstatemusic.com, and musiciansfriend.com . Get an idea of the online prices. Also check out places like Bass Northwest (www.bassnw.com) and see what they have used.

Good luck.

Thanks Getz76, I've been watching the used stuff on Bass NW for a while now. Next time I'm in Seattle I plan on stopping in.

I plan on getting my Microbass fixed. I blew the speaker when I turned it up. So if I'm getting myself a new five string I figure it'll probably blow again. The music store is taking an electric piano in on trade for my new bass so my bass budget I have for an new amp.

So it sounds like I'd be better off with a little bigger combo right now. I wasn't sure if I should spend the money on an amp and small cab and then get a bigger cab when I need it.

I wasn't sure if I should spend the money on an amp and small cab and then get a bigger cab when I need it.

This is a good question. There could be some merit to that approach.

The MicroBass will definitely serve your needs for a while. However, even though it's a solid practice amp, having a little more volume will really allow you to hear nuances in your playing that you may not notice thru the small Peavey combo.

Some other combos to consider:

-Ampeg B50R 1x12 or Ampeg B100R 1x15

-SWR Workingman's 10

The Ampegs don't have an extension speaker out jack, so they wouldn't allow you to build your rig louder as needed. Many combos do, and then you simply add an extension cab when you need it.

I have the B50R which I use for practice. I like it a lot. It does have a line out so I could run it to a PA if needed.

A bigger Peavey combo might be fine, too. Tazzola has one -- maybe he'll chime in.

Peace.

spreadluv

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

I wasn't sure if I should spend the money on an amp and small cab and then get a bigger cab when I need it.

This is a good question. There could be some merit to that approach.[/QB]
I agree there is definitely merit, but what I have notice what sometimes happens in these cases is as follows; "I'll get the SWR Workingman 10, and if I need to expand, I'll buy a 2x10" and put it under it." However, that usually doesn't happen and most people end up buying a whole new rig. When it comes to combos, I think the best thing is to split into two categories: (1) practice or (2) gig-worthy. A gig-worth rig should stand on it's own, with any expansion as gravy. Just my observation, I could (and often am) wrong. :D

The MicroBass will definitely serve your needs for a while. However, even though it's a solid practice amp, having a little more volume will really allow you to hear nuances in your playing that you may not notice thru the small Peavey combo.

That's a very valid point. Playing at a moderate volume level will definitely make you play differently. You can sometimes get the same effect with good headphones.

Originally posted by getz76:

That's a very valid point. Playing at a moderate volume level will definitely make you play differently. You can sometimes get the same effect with good headphones.
Yes, Maury, good call on the headphones -- a fine way to detect imperfections in your playing!

spreadluv

Originally posted by getz76:

Yes, Maury, good call on the headphones -- a fine way to detect imperfections in your playing!
That's why I never use them... I'm a SUPERSTAR! :D

Actually, the only problem is good headphones sometimes cost as much as a used amp. :)

[QB having a little more volume will really allow you to hear nuances in your playing that you may not notice thru the small Peavey combo.

[/QB]

The first time I turned my Microbass up past halfway was after I drop tuned my bass. I heard things I hadn't heard before, mostly finger noise for a little while. I was even able to slap a little. Then it blew, so I knew I needed more power and capacity.

Now that I think about it, if this thing needs a new speaker, could I put a higher capacity speaker in?

And if I tuned my four string DAEB, is that drop tuned, detuned, retuned? I know I liked it, especcially before the speaker started making the wrong noises.

Archived