Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Distorted sound problem.

Belazaras

Hi, I have an Ibanez SR885 5 string active bass plugged direct into a 200W Crate 1x15 combo. I plug the jack into a -15db input and put the preamp level in 25% shape al 12 o clock and master at 50%. When pluck the strings with a gently fingerstyle, it sound good, but when pluck the strings very hard a huge distortion appear. Lowering the preamp or master level it cure the problem, but I need more power. I think 200W it's enough for a practice garage !.

So I plan to attach a 4x10 cab to the combo, to prevent overload the 15' driver, but I don't know if this is the solution. 1x15 cabs or combos have problems to hang highs, but my problem it's in the entire spectrum, specially in the lower ones.

I dont have the money to buy and test. Future plans are change the combo by an GK head and use it with the 4x10 cab.

Please post your suggestions.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by belazaras:

Hi, I have an Ibanez SR885 5 string active bass plugged direct into a 200W Crate 1x15 combo. I plug the jack into a -15db input and put the preamp level in 25% shape al 12 o clock and master at 50%. When pluck the strings with a gently fingerstyle, it sound good, but when pluck the strings very hard a huge distortion appear. Lowering the preamp or master level it cure the problem, but I need more power. I think 200W it's enough for a practice garage !.

So I plan to attach a 4x10 cab to the combo, to prevent overload the 15' driver, but I don't know if this is the solution. 1x15 cabs or combos have problems to hang highs, but my problem it's in the entire spectrum, specially in the lower ones.

I dont have the money to buy and test. Future plans are change the combo by an GK head and use it with the 4x10 cab.

Please post your suggestions.

I'm not sure exactly the problem, but you might be having a problem with "over-EQing."

Set everything FLAT, meaning ZERO boost or cut.

From there, start tweaking one knob at a time. Get a sound you like, then set the master volume.

Bel dude first off if you dont want distortion in your sound i suggest you do not go with GK heads, GK is known for produceing unique bass distortion through their amps (it's intentional) how ever I manage to keep my GK 400rb rather clean, but i like it to distrot some thime thats why i got a GK, its just GK builds them to distort. as far as your crate is concerned i wouldnt recomend them either i have never found acrate amp i like but that is also amatter pf personal taste , for a really clean sound i suggest you try harkte (i think that is corect spelling ) or Peavy bass amps.

for a really clean sound i suggest you try harkte (i think that is corect spelling ) or Peavy bass amps.
H A R T K E :D

oh yeah...

P E A V E Y :D

yo bro, don't rush things, it might get messy... ;)

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

Archived