Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Pawn Shop/Yard Sale Deals!

Timothy Lyons

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my best deal is for grins only, since I tried to play it and couldn't.

How about a 1956 Fender Lap Steel, perfect condition with tweed hardshell case, bars and picks for $35. These go on ebay now for about $600.

My '80's Schecter Precision is a gas at $100.

The other thing I felt a bargain was an Aria Pro II Cardinal Series bass, circa 1970 for $75. Had to give that one up as a part of recovering my stolen Warwick, but I did love that bass.

Anybody else notice that pawn shops are primarily junk these days...and any good thing is generally:

1. way too pricey...almost retail.

2. poorly cared for and in bad condition.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Peavey Max pre-amp, $85.00. A buddy of mine got a 12 channel Yamaha board for $100.00, great condition. Often stuff that folks don't know what they have winds up in the wrong catagory- my friend got his board from a restaurant that was liguidating and it was under restaurant equipment.

what you have to do is become real good friends with some one who owns a pawn shop. he lets me buy stuff off of him for the same price he buys it from people. i got a peavey J bass that he would of sold for $300 but i got it for $100.

the other best out of this would deal i got was when i was 11 or 12 one of my dad's friends who has over 30 basses and guitars and countless amps "sold" me a Kramer P bass and a nice tube amp i don't remember what company or what model. but i got them both for $5 how is that on a good deal.

-dan

Not exactly store finds, but how's this: I recently acquire a Charvel p/j bass from a studio friend. Situation-no output at all. Solution? Remove the fried active circuit, making a passive p/j for me. Price? About an hour with a soldring iron.

And Jeremy, kudos on that Funk Machine deal, for sure. But...I got mine from a guitarist I used to play with who really wanted a wah pedal. With a statement akin to "You'll probably like this better than me" or somesuch, he tossed it to me at the end of a practice one night.

The only thing better than a Funk Machine is a free Funk Machine.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

what does that Funk Machine thing do? i have no clue
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Mine....

A BBE 383 Bass preamp with sonic maximizer, compressor, crossover and 6 band eq. Price paid: around $55! I got it from a friend who totally had no idea what it was.

I later sold it for a $100 coz i stopped gigging for a while and i needed some money. I regret it but tough times hit hard and I wasn't that prepared.

Well it's someone's good deal for now. :)

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

I just got a Fender bass at a yard sale for $20. I don't know if it was the greatest deal, though... it looks pretty old. And it's got this weird setup with two stacked knobs.

Kidding!!!

Seriously: I got my Gallien-Krueger combo amp at a pawn shop for $250. I LOVE that amp -- I've been using it all the time for 5 years.

This weekend, I scored an old Kenwood receiver at a yard sale. $15. (After I handed over the cash, the guy said he would have let it go for $5. Grr...) At another sale I scored some old Bose speakers for $50. Suddenly I like to listen to my CDs again. And I can totally hear the bass parts now.

Note to self: never go through life without a decent HiFi again!

Is it just me or is eBay no fun anymore? A few years ago, you could really score some cool deals. Nowadays, it seems like there's always some other nerd out there who's ready to bid too high and spoil the fun.

My favorite bass I bought at a pawn Shop for $700. I was given a '60's Harmony semi hollow guitar because it was missing a couple of strings. A friend of mine bought an old buddy's '69 Jazz from his Mom for $25 after he was killed in Vietnam (fifteen years after the fact. Cut him some slack, in '91 a '69 wasn't considered vintage, and collectible).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Anybody else notice that pawn shops are primarily junk these days...and any good thing is generally:

1. way too pricey...almost retail.

2. poorly cared for and in bad condition.

Agreed, and the same with eBay. Hell, Jack Read of Read Custom just sold his used Kern IP-777XL for $850 + shipping on eBay; you can still get them new for that price!

There are some deals out there: someone just bought my used, early-90's Fender P-Bass Lyte on eBay for $350 shipped with SKB HSC. The finish has seen better days, but it's a good player's ax. There are definitely deals on "off-brand" or "non-standard" items, but if someone sees an American Fender or anything Gibson, the price is usually retail. No deals.

A church I worked for was upgrading their sound system and I bought their old board, a Sunn 16 ch in an anvil case, for $200. :D

Pawn shops around here suck for musical gear.

I bought my lefty '83 Fender MIJ 62' reissue Jazz with hardshell case for $360. on ebay(my one and only purchase)I really love it. Much better quality than the MIM and Squires I see in the stores.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

A buddy of mine got a 76 T-bird at a pawn shop for $100. It is in immaculate condition. The treasures are out there, but you have to look for them. They're not just going to jump up and say "Here I am. Come Get me!"

I also just bought a 2x12 Avatar off Ebay for $325, shipping included. Of course, Dave had the auction.

The way I look at it is, if you think you got a good deal, then it's a good deal. There's always a better deal out there, but you just gotta find it. But most pawn shop stuff is overpriced junk. I saw a Redhead with a blown speaker at one for $900. I got mine brand new for that price with 2 good speakers.

Originally posted by cornbread:

I saw a Redhead with a blown speaker at one for $900. I got mine brand new for that price with 2 good speakers.

It wasn't those clowns on 16th St, was it? The ones with the Needing-much-work Explorer for 600?

My best deal was a Boss HR-2 Harmonist (retail 165) for 43...sold it earlier this year for 80.

Originally posted by Warlock1016:

Originally posted by cornbread:

I saw a Redhead with a blown speaker at one for $900. I got mine brand new for that price with 2 good speakers.

It wasn't those clowns on 16th St, was it? The ones with the Needing-much-work Explorer for 600?

My best deal was a Boss HR-2 Harmonist (retail 165) for 43...sold it earlier this year for 80.

No, it wasn't them, but very close....like across the street. I remember when that seen-better-days Explorer was $200 and my idiot friend told them the thing was worth at least $500. The next day the price was changed. I believe that thing is still there 10 years later.

Archived