Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce someone else

_Sweet Willie_

I keep going to the "Introduce yourself" thread with the intention of putting down a few sentences about who I am, and then deciding not to post. Not so much because I'm a private person or don't want to share, but maybe because I tend not to like talking about myself. I also realized that many of the regulars know various tidbits about me from my past 2000+ posts.

This got me to thinking, wouldn't it be more fun to post about someone else on the board? :idea: Ahhh, the opportunity to bust balls, maybe even tick someone off a little bit? At the same time, maybe a chance to get an impression of how other folks see you...for better or for worse.

My only request, being Sweet Willie after all, is that you don't introduce someone who pisses you off all the time with his/her posts. No need to build up ire and tear folks down. However, some healthy jibes make us all better people!

Also, I think it's fine to re-introduce someone who may have already been introduced -- thus rounding out his/her profile!

I'll start by introducing two excellent fellows:

Bumpcity (a.k.a., Bumpdawg, Bump-diggity, Bumpalicious):

Bumpcity enjoys bass. Particularly Chilean Sea Bass w/ some lemon and white wine. He has also been known to crave the occasional cheese sandwich.

Bumpcity is a fractional Zaftig. That is to say that he holds down the bass chair with his Lull 5-string for a band in Seattle known as Yogi & Half Zaftig. He has been seen wearing funny hats and playing with Travis Shedd and the Good Ol' Homeboys, most notably at a party at Penn's home in Vegas (yes, Penn of Penn & Teller).

Bumpcity has been known to enjoy listening to the likes of Frank Zappa, Yes, and King Crimson. However, he presents himself as quite an open-minded music consumer, who enjoys listening to music at every chance.

Bumpcity is not afraid to bust some chops on the LDL. You may detect some sarcasm and good-natured ribbing in his posts from time to time. He has also been known to enjoy subtle humor, the kind that might not light up on everyone's radar.

For good measure, Bump's favorite time signature is 13/8 and he has been known to enjoy an adult beverage or six...

Tom Capasso (a.k.a., Shecky, Slidey-Chair):

Tom is one of our fine moderators. He occasionally thinks he's funny and tries to entertain us with his quips and witticisms (if we dare stretch the meanings of those words to that extent!). He has a photo in the UglyBassPlayer on-line archive of which he should be very proud.

Tom recently acquired a custom bass -- a Kinal 5-string. He will probably never retire his old Gibson, which he's had for years and has certainly seen better days. He is a big fan of Bergantino cabs, and owns a Bergie 1x12. He is also not afraid to try out any bass.

Tom will travel to your gig if you are within driving distance. If you're lucky, his day job, for which he travels, will bring him to your neck of the woods. If so, he will attend one of your gigs. At the very least, he will drag you to a blues jam session in your area -- which is how he has been honing his monster chops of recent. If Tom does indeed attend a gig, he will carry gear, sell promo material, get the crowd pumped up, whatever it takes. If you are CMDN (Erik), he will do all that AND bite you. However, if Tom does indeed attend one of your gigs, don't let him open for you with his Catskills-style stand-up act. Your audience will disappear before you ever hit the stage.

Next? ...

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sounds like a challenge to my beloved thread which i erm.. borrowed. Looks like you regulars will have to get posting to make this thread successfull. Game on. :)
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by Gord -B:

This sounds like a challenge to my beloved thread which i erm.. borrowed.

"Challenge" might be a strong term. I will say that "your" thread certainly inspired this one. :D

And yes, some of the regulars need to get to roasting their mates! :eek::)

Peace.

spreadluv

jeremyc is a bass teacher and professional musician from the bay area. it's my impression he has a nice house in berkley. he also has a very respectable bass collection.

Jeremy plays bass in an all-bass jazz band, Bassed on Jazz, with Wally Malone, one of our fearless moderators. he also plays pick-up gigs, and in a group called jazz on the vine. he talks a lot about teaching bass to kids. he is very hip to just about everything youth as a result, but he doesn't let that get in the way of being a cantankerous, old man.

i haven't had much direct interaction with Jeremy, but i can't say enough about how much i respect him, his musical abilities, and his contributions to this forum. he knows music, and he's always willing to teach. he does it here gratis.

C.Alexander Claber is one of our guys in London. or is he one of our mates? or blokes?

anyway, Alex fronts his own band, and is also the Chief Groove Guru and VP in charge of Funk, but i'm not sure where. but dammit, he heads it all up. he plays a warwick streamer with EMG pickups and an aguilar OBP. i think it's an OBP-3. he uses an SWR Grand Prix with a QSC power amp and two acme low B-2 cabinets. that's a pretty sweet rig, kids.

Alex is also a major contributor whom i respect. he usually has only very useful ideas, and asks very timely, illuminating, and well-thought-out questions. he's someone i can usually count on to understand even the most upper-level technical explanations about how things work.

like me, he also spends time over at talkbass.com. but don't tell them -- that's grounds for excommunication over there.

i'm not even going to touch CMDN. what can i say about him that he hasn't already said about himself better than i could? he's straightedge, like me, but i'm not so down with strippers, like he is. i think Tom should write about Erik.

robb.

While I agree with robb. that TC should probably take on the CMDN introduction, I will offer a few comments.

CMDN (a.k.a. Erik):

CMDN is devastatingly handsome and dead sexy -- there just ain't nuthin' quite like a white boy w/ dreds. He is a musician and songwriter, and uses both g****r and bass to get his musical ideas across. A Philly boy, I have found him supportive of my appreciation of hip-hoppers The Goats and The Roots.

CMDN plays bass in Mean Ether, and they recently tore it up in NYC. He likes it simple -- P bass, baby, thru an amp and speakers (a 2x10 and 1x15). No logos, please. He also plays g****r in Cottonmouth DN. From what I understand, they're loud and put on a hella good show. (They haven't come to Chicago yet...)

CMDN likes the color black and expressing himself succinctly. There's not much to clarify or extrapolate on when he posts his classic line..."Bite me." Tom did.

Peace.

spreadluv

Hmm.. I guess at the very least, I coulg give this thread a bump with this:

Davebrownbass... I actually know very little about him, save the fact that he's a bass teacher, and he's chock fulla bass playin' goodness. I think I've learned a little somethin' from nearly every one of his posts (that I read, anyhow.)

[edit] Gotta mention Benloy here as well. Very informative poster and adds a touch of much needed quality humor to threads. Loves showing off his Anniversary Stringray.

-Mike

...simply stating.

Music-Man

I met him on what I believe was our 1st LowLowDown meeting in NYC a few years back ( was it that long ago ??? ). I was impressed not only with his melodic playing and musical sense, but his pleasant demeanor. All the fellers I met that day were cool ( Shecki included !! ;) ) ...but I still had a pic on my website of Music-Man....so I picked him to re-introduce.

http://5centmary.com/Musicman.jpg

Here he is ...playing what I believe to be a Turner 5 string......

PJR

Idnarb is a lovely young lady from Long Island who smiles a lot, likes to play bass and spell her name backwards. ;)

Bumpcity is someone whom I'd like to be able to play like someday.

davebrownbass is a great teacher, mostly because of his knowledge and his generous personality, but maybe also a little bit because he's a former student of the great Chuck Rainey.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

BenLoy

He's a right cool cat who could be my twin brother or something. Helluva player, great taste in music/humor, and all around swell person. He is a fellow card carrying member of the Bryan Beller Worshiper's Society. One day, I will make it to New York to see his band Mrs. Grundy play, and I'll buy him a refreshing beverage. Ben's rig is a thing of beauty, and I'm dying to hear it in person.

Sweet Willie

Another completely cool cat who I should have met up with in San Francisco earlier this year; but I didn't get there because I'm lame and I took a gig from a desperate band. From my dealings, he is very knowledgeable and very willing to share that knowledge with whomever asks. He also laughs at my bad jokes and points out all my spelinge erorz, so bone-us points for him. :D

Allow me to introduce:

Sweet Willie: My man keeps showing up in the most interesting spots, traveling to places where bass is being sold, discussed, played.

Willie is working on a PH. D in Sociology, like we need more of those! He is always quick to jump in to a philosophic discussion with the masses...sometimes getting wordy right along with me.

Willie is also kind of a peacemaker, finding the middle ground to compromise. For this I admire him greatly.

He is also very nice to me...once signing his posts with a nod to me.

jeremyc: I feel a strange kinship with Jeremy Cohen...music college and all that. Jeremy chose a different path...going into playing rather than teaching...but I've agreed with virtually all he's said.

Tom Capasso I feel an even stronger kinship with Tom, who is most nearly my age, and lives his life a lot like mine.

Another nice thing about good old Tom is he found a kind of unusual musical interest that I shared...so he sent me some to listen to. Pretty good for just meeting somebody on the internet.

cornbread is a fellow Texan and has a very interesting story. He was forced to defend his life and property against home invaders...which he did successfully. However, he also paid a very high price emotionally, physically, and in other ways. I pray for his continued good fortune.

I could go on with several other introductions, even introducing old, lost buddies like greenboy and alembickoa and patrickdon'tfret, and several others here on the board...and I just hope I haven't offended anyone, but I want to leave some words for others.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Can you feel the love?!?! :D

Wally Malone (a.k.a., the "union" guy, Wally):

Wally is one of our very good-natured moderators. Despite the relatively frightening picture of himself that he uses for his avatar, he is one of the nicest fellahs around.

Wally is the only Lowdowner I've seen perform live, and he did a great job. He is truly an impressive player. When I met him for the first time I was greeted with a welcoming smile and a hug. Was he happy to see and meet me, or was it the AccuGroove Tri-112 I was carrying for him to use at his gig?! :eek: I still don't know how he managed to do the whole set in that long-sleeved black shirt, outdoors, under a pretty strong sun... :confused:

Wally is married to Lady Bo, who is a phenomenal guitarist and singer in her own right. Both of them have a history playing with Bo Diddley. As stated earlier, Wally plays in a group called "Bassed on Jazz" with JeremyC, another bassist, and a drummer. I would love to hear this group perform.

Wally wields a black Kubicki 4-string or a 6-string Alembic (does it weigh as much as a boat anchor, Wally? ;) ) and is currently upgrading his rig. He is using AccuGroove cabs and working on new amplification.

If you get the chance to meet Wally, don't pass it up. He's a top-notch guy, and pretty damn cool as well. :cool:

DaveBrownBass (a.k.a., DBB):

DBB is a true educator. That is, he cares that people think about stuff. He is always ready to engage us in a heady conversation. He is also always ready to help us out with whatever knowledge he has to share, especially regarding music theory, music history, and being a professional teacher and musician.

DBB is friendly and patient on the board. He listens (i.e., reads) before speaking (i.e., writing), and his posts reflect that he's paying attention. I doubt his students manage to get away with much, but I also doubt that they try to, since I'm sure he must engage them musically. (Keep them "on-task," Mr. Brown!)

I have posted many times that if I were in TX, I would force my way into DBB's teaching schedule so that I could study with him. As it is, I try to squeeze bits and pieces of music knowledge from him for free...and he has yet to complain!

Peace.

spreadluv

sam 2000 used CAPS LOCK a whole lot, and had a thing for Geezer Butler.

>>--greenboy-->> was extremely knowledgeable about just about anything, especially related to gear, but eventually got frustrated with some of the newbies and faults of this forum--basically a good guy, but in some sense one of the more polarizing figures (at least of those with 1000+ posts).

Adamixoye had no idea who to extend the love fest to that hasn't been posted about three times on this thread already, so instead he decided to continue his pattern of well-intentioned but potentially misunderstood/inappropriate humor. He also loves typing in the third person.

Man, this is starting to look like a friendster testimonial page! :D

May I introduce:

Tom Capasso

One of our venerable moderators, Tom will show up at your gig and start carrying gear before you even have a chance to ask him. He's an unfailingly kind individual with a very wry sense of humor.

Bumpcity

Bumpcity is who I would be if I practiced more and was better at selling myself. He's shared the stage with the likes of Mike Keneally and not choked while burning up the fretboard with crazy "Zappa wants you to mess up" unison lines. Not only does he admire and worship Bryan Beller, he's good buddies with him and was recommended by him for the bass chair in Yogi's band. Plus he'll go toe to toe with you in a movie-quoting contest at the drop of a hat and nearly beat you. And, he's an unfailingly nice guy as well.

CMDN

The man rocks. What else can I say? Whether he's melting the stage with a Les Paul in Cottonmouth D.N. or grooving hard on bass in Mean Ether, CMDN will always play the best part of the song and groove his ass off in the process. He detests logos on instruments, is one of the best "cut the bullshit" posters on this forum, and his dreadlocks are forces of nature.

Bob Gollihur

Yet another one of our moderators, his website has so many double bass links that it'll take you years to sift through it. He's a very smart entepreneur and tasty bassist...and shares the "Double Bass Guru" title with davebrownbass.

My hands hurt...more later...

Cupmcmali The monkey has indeed gone to heaven.

bassadik Vegas nights in the bright lights. Say hi to Wayne and Celine! Hows that urb coming?

Robb Seems to know his gear and is a puck head like am. BTW My wife got me center ice for our anniversary. She rocks!!

Addix Metzatricity Good with electronica stuff. Fantasy team member. I'd like to collaborate on something if his submission doesn't work out. :thu:

CDMN Scary looking dude who thinks that Lemme is God and KoRn RulEZZZZZZZZ!!!

So many people who stand out on this forum. Keeps me coming back!!

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by ibescotty:

Addix Metzatricity Good with electronica stuff. Fantasy team member. I'd like to collaborate on something if his submission doesn't work out. :thu:

Aww!!! I didn't think I'd be on here!!!

I think you just got yourself a collaboration buddy, pal. Oh, what kinda trouble can two bassists with a keyboard cause?

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

I am proud to introduce to you one of our newer members. He hails from Houston, Texas. You wanted the best, you got Warlock !!!

I realize this is unfair because he and I go way back and I was in his wedding (he said he needed proof she said "Yes"). He is the ultimate authority on all things Kiss and is a budding WWE Superstar in waiting. Unfortunately, we have lost him to the dark side of g****r temporarily, but I predict he will soon see the error of his ways and return to wonderful world of bass. Look for his witty banter on the pages of Metal Sludge and our very own Low Down Lowdown. He also has a penchant for pointy shaped instruments played in a country band, so he can't be all bad.

Now I feel bad...

I can't introduce anyone else because I'm so self-centered that I don't pay attention to anyone but me.

Wait...

Have you seen me lately?

I'm dead sexy.

Just kidding...

Tom "Shecky The Slidey Chair" Capasso is one of the moderators here... I met him in NYC at one of my gigs(told you I was self-centered), and he RuLeZ! Senor Slidey Chair is a thin, bearded guy with a lot of heart and moral fiber who can sing his ass off. He'll never make it in the music biz because he's just too good to everyone. He plays gigs with other old guys and will sing along with your band if you ask him. He plays an old bass and a new one... and he bit me. There are pictures to prove it.

Ben Loy has a short goatee and isn't afraid to let his inner geek run rampant every once in a while. I met him at the same time I met Tom "The Chair" in NYC. Ben's a real cool guy who busts his hump at a day gig while playing ridiculously complex basslines at night. He'd smoke me on bass or didgeridoo any day, but I don't think he plays didgeridoo in public often, so I guess I don't have to sweat that much.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I'll introduce the people I've met in person first.

Ed Friedland

He started this forum as our original moderator.

He's a fantastic player in any style possible. The instructional books that he has written are the best around. He's got a nice collection of basses and plays them all. He's also a soft-spoken warm person and he has the same hair style as I do.

Wally Malone

One of our hard-working moderators. I met him here on the forum and we decided to share a hotel room at NAMM this year. We immediately became close friends. And most of you know that I am now in his Bassed on Jazz group. Wally is a wonderful blues and r&b player, I think over 20 years with Bo Diddley speaks for itself. He's also a versatile player and is always studying new things. He also is the president of the San Jose local of the Musicians Union. Everything he does is for the music.

Sweet Willie

aka William Corrin. Super-intelligent person. Extremely modest, but can play. We have a connection because he went to Brown--as did my son and my parents. (not me, I didn't want to stay in Providence one more minute). He always makes great contributions to this forum and can educate us all in hip-hop bass. He is a man of peace. Willie organized a great get-together with Wally, El Whappo, and me.

El Whappo

aka Mark Wright. The inventor of the Accugroove bass cabinets (hence his log-in name). A very generous man who makes a great product.

Bumpcity

aka Brian Timpe. We had a great breakfast a few months ago in Seattle. He works at Microsoft, as does my son, but they don't know each other. He's a very funny guy who has ridiculous chops and he plays music that is so fast and complex that I can't even hear it.

bassaddik

aka Adrian Garcia. A top pro living in Las Vegas. He's done it all and plays his butt off. He also always seems to own the most beautiful basses around. He is also a very spiritual person who knows where he came from.

TNB

aka Thomas Brinkley. Lives in Providence which is where I grew up so that gives us a connection. We hung out for a while a month ago. Can play anything well, electric, upright, any style. Has a beautiful little daughter. A very warm individual.

People I've talked to on the phone:

conniez

aka Connie Zimmermann. From New Orleans. New to the world of bass and filled with enthusiasm. Just bought a house and is super friendly and out-going.

greenboy

aka.....sorry, I can't tell you, I'd have to kill you if I did. Genius of sound. Outspoken on every subject. I still speak to him regularly on the phone.

People I'd like to meet:

All the rest of you.

Okay, I've got a moment to some more introducing.

robb. (a.k.a., the Man from P.E.A.V.E.Y.):

robb., player of the most interesting plywood P bass I've ever laid eyes on, brings solid engineering knowledge to our board. Employed formerly by Crown (yup, the power amp people, not the bookstore chain) and currently by Peavey, this lowdowner tries and succeeds to help us out by breaking down technical issues into language that we lay people understand. I have found him a great resource, and look forward to playing my future Seismic bass thru a "robb." amp one day.

robb., originally from the northern midwest, suffers without ice hockey in balmy Mississippi. At least he can strap on the roller blades from time to time and get in some hockey competition.

robb. is a friendly and careful poster, and he tends to avoid uppercase letters ( :P ). Regretfully I missed an opportunity to hang with him when he was up here in Chicago this past summer. :(

I haven't heard robb. play his plywood P or any other bass, but I get the sense from his posts that he really holds down the low end with reliability and without being flashy. He has GAS for a couple of Bergie 1x12 cabs, and has begun (I believe) to add drums to his repertoire.

Peace.

spreadluv

First, thanks for all the kind words. And meet:

Ed Friedland - bass player extrodinaire covering so many styles (that always impresses the hell out of me). He can sing pretty well too (I had downloaded a tune he wrote and performed called "Hot In The Kitchen". His writing also sets him apart. You can see it now in his books and BP columns. You can also see it in the past posts, where he moderated with skill, humor, style, and grace. He set the tone for this forum, and Bob, Wally, and I have attempted to follow in his footsteps.

jeremyc - self-styled curmudgeon that can't quite pull it off (he's too nice a guy). He'll bite if you post something stupid, but spend a ton of energy helping you if you ask a question. I wrote to him looking for song suggestions and music info because I knew he had it all "in his back pocket", and he came through for any request I made. Thanks j!!

Peter Romano - PJR doesn't spend as much time here as he used to, and you can find him on the Dudepit or TalkBass. He has short stubby fingers that the Dudepit guys refer to as "sausage fingers". Doesn't matter - the dude can play. During his gig he'll switch up between 2 or 3 basses (different string counts), which is pretty cool. He's down to earth with a good sense of humor. He's also a bass junkie. He's settled in with his amp equipment, but he runs his own bass guitar merri-go-round. I saw him at 2 gigs and met 5 basses!! He is a master at the high-end used market, and has great taste. And he's Italian ;)

Dan South - Dan contributes to several boards here. While he imparts knowledge about playing bass, he is big on theory, training and exercises. He (along with jeremyc) is a "long poster" in that he doesn't spare the words when he's got something to say. His generosity comes through in everything he posts. I met him when the NYC LD crowd went to Sadowsky's, and he's softer-spoken than I expected - a real gentleman.

More soon...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

music-man

music-man plays bass. He also plays cello. He may even also play other instruments for all I know. He accompanies singer-songwriters and plays in bands, gigging relatively frequently compared to some of us.

music-man currently carries a StingRay 5-string fretted and/or a MM Sabre (how cool is that?!) into battle. He is on a search for the 5-string fretless that is the perfect match for him, although I think his wife is concerned about where the heck they'd fit another instrument in their "efficient" NYC apartment. :D He gets a lot of mileage out of his SWR Workingman's 10 combo.

He is a former science teacher, who delves occasionally into technical topics with questions or answers. He is also one of the friendliest and most inquisitive posters on this board. I sometimes think I can actually hear him thinking when I read his posts. I know that sounds weird, but music-man's posts definitely indicate that the gears are turning -- and not for naught!

Peace.

spreadluv

• 2 months later...

Pernax:

This member of our low end tribe comes from "the land of the ice and snow." (He's a Finn!). He enjoys 5-strings and lots of SWR speakers (eight 10" speakers the last time I counted) powered by lots of SWR wattage (750W last time I checked!). He plays bass for a band called Helion, and if you follow the link to their site that's in his sig you can hear some impressive samples of their metal-edged music.

Pernax writes better English than many of the rest of us native speakers, and his mastery of the language is evident in the humor that he is capable of releasing at any moment. In fact, it was his mention in a recent post of PJR's tools of "basstruction" that inspired me to post this into about him. He generously offers whatever support he can to other forumites, and asks cogent questions when he needs advice.

music-man update: He found that elusive 5-string fretless -- a Warwick Thumb bolt-on. Right on!

spreadluv

how about dcr?

our resident philosopher who is always quick with the witticisms. also known as the master of the obscure refrence (greek mythology/classical philosophy/god knows what else). dcr seems like a very smart guy and i enjoy his (and everyone else's) posts on this board.

also: nearly as big as a wisea** as sweet willie

I see just the regulars posting here so I figured a newbie point of view might add well to the mix! First I'll start with the only person here I've actually met, Bumpcity...met him a week ago at a gig he played with "Grunge", wish I had time to really hang with him but I gave him his space as he was busy and all with a long trip back. All I can say about his playing ability is that I was in awe and truly inspired! His sense of humor and enthusiasm is truly (yes, thats the word of the day) seen in his posts. Tom Cappasso, what can I say but...anybody who is as knowledgable about the bass AND is a fan of Teddy Roosevelt, has to know what he's talkin' about, we are talking about a thinker here people! CMDN...pic looks like something that reminds me of a cross b/w Ted Nugent and Bob Marley, you HAVE to love that! This is getting long winded so I'll stop there...peace out! :thu:
Donnie Peterson

Originally posted by McDuff:

also: nearly as big as a wisea** as sweet willie

Hey! No fair! That's not nice, and I resent that!! :mad::evil:

I am a way bigger wiseass than Willie! And don't you forget it!

Tosser. ;)

And just to prove it: "Sweet Willie"--what is that, a name or a physical characteristic? Some guys will insist on bragging. :D:eek::freak:

I would like to introduce Basshappi.. From reading his post and trading PM's I have found him to be quite knowledgeable and he is always there to welcome newbies. He makes people feel welcome and brings a positive attitude to this forum and is always willing to share his knowledge of the bass and other matters.

:thu::thu:

Archived